PDA

View Full Version : New Timber Table Protection

Dalob
15th April 2010, 09:06 PM
I have a new timber dining table that I would like to coat with something for protection against scratching.

This table came pre-finished and I do not know what the timber is. All I do know is it is not MDF, but a solid timber.

Can I simply coat this table (over the existing finished) with a polyurethane or do I need to strip it back. If I need to strip it back, I might as well wait for excessive scratching and sand and recoat then.

Are there other products that I can use that would protect the timber by providing a hard protective coating.

What can I do to remove minor scratches, eg polishing etc

Thanks in advance

Jason.

Kaisergrendel
15th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Dalob,

In all likelihood the table would have been already finished in a hard-wearing film. You most probably do not need to do anything to do it. At this stage what you want to do is *prevention* of wear eg. using coasters, mats, etc.

Some polishing waxes provide a protective barrier on top of the finish which you can strip off and reapply periodically, letting your topcoat last longer. They also tend to fill in scratches to give you the appearance of a smooth surface. Just make sure the one you choose is food-safe.