PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Wilkinson Warranted anvil

anvil23
17th April 2010, 11:13 AM
Hi guys. I finally got around to dusting off my anvil, which i acquired some 10 years ago when i was doing some volunteer blacksmithing for an old shop in the Barossa Valley. Turns out on one side it says Joseph Wilkinson Warranted and on the other 0 3 23. It is intact and in good condition. Weigt is 47.8kg or near enough to 105 lb. My question is - I think i may sell it so does anybody have an idea of approx. value and where would be a good avenue to sell it. Ebay is not really my favourite venue. Cheers
Will post some photos today.

.RC.
17th April 2010, 12:58 PM
A rule of thumb used to be a pound a pound...

That size would be popular seeing it is quite light... Depends on condition of course but if it is in good order I would put $400 and go from there..

Dave J
17th April 2010, 01:36 PM
I can help out a bit with some info I have on them.
0 is 0 hundred weight = 0 pounds
3 is 3/4 hundred weight = 84 pounds
23 is 23 pounds = 23 pounds

A quality anvil will have a hard face around 50 - 55 RC with softer edges to stop chipping.
To test an anvil you drop a ball bearing 1 inch or bigger onto the center of it's face from a 12inch height and it should rebound at least 8 inch.

On price I can only give what I have seen on ebay and that's around $100- $300 for that size, you might get more though.

I have one here the is fairly big that I use it all the time, it's about a meter long.
They are real handy to have around for all sorts of things.
Dave
PS
If you get rid of the anvil you will have to change you forum name.

anvil23
17th April 2010, 03:10 PM
Yes Dave J I will have to change my name, but there is a fair chance I wont sell it. I have done some blacksmithing in the past and enjoyed it. Dont have a forge at home so this anvil has had no activity from me. Cant do anything with timber other than chop and burn it so a name change will be difficult. Am posting some photos. Cheers134927

RayG
17th April 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Anvil23,

I searched ebay daily for anvils for several years before finding an anvil that was a good one, my observation is that prices have eased a little in the past 12 months, although you sometimes see ones in poor condition go for ridiculous prices, I got a 300lb Atkinson in pretty fair condition for $600, which is $2 per pound, smaller anvils you could get a bit more, maybe $3-4 per pound, depending on condition.

I recommend that you take the time to find out about freight costs, because most anvils are listed as "pick up only" which limits the potential bidders dramatically.

Take the time to get some good pictures, especially showing the top and horn, and you should get a good price.

And as Dave suggests, you will have to change your name to Anvil22....:rolleyes:

Regards
Ray

After looking so long for an anvil, I found a 5" leg vise just across town... you can never tell..

anvil23
17th April 2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks RayG, its good to hear that there are still some good old anvils out there I'm still considering my options but I most probably will hang on to it.Doesnt seem enough hours in the day to do all the things you want, but one day !

calala
21st April 2010, 06:57 PM
small anvils in good condition are sort after by farriers and other horse people to do shoe work, but I am sorry to say this anvil looks flogged out and comes under the category of anchor.
you would be better off keeping it and have some fun.:)

eskimo
25th April 2010, 11:41 AM
Cant do anything with timber

If you cut the darn stuff too short you cant weld a bit to it either

RayG
30th April 2010, 02:18 AM
small anvils in good condition are sort after by farriers and other horse people to do shoe work, but I am sorry to say this anvil looks flogged out and comes under the category of anchor.
you would be better off keeping it and have some fun.:)

Hi Calala,

I'm fairly new to this blacksmithing business, so any information you can offer would be most welcome.

What exactly are you seeing, that would suggest that Anvil23's Wilkinson looks "flogged out", to my inexpert eye, the edges could be dressed and the back is fairly straight, I've seen some that have huge dips in the back and badly beat up horns far worse than that one.

Here is the 300lb Atkinson I got last year, I'd be interested to get your opinion.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/AnvilMount.jpg

Maybe I should dress up the edges a bit?

Regards
Ray