PDA

View Full Version : New Vic Jaws

NeilS
18th April 2010, 06:46 PM
Have been getting by with the largest set of jaws (130mm) that will go on my largest chuck (5" SN- Deluxe) but needed to go to something larger to core some larger lumps of wood I'm currently green turning.

Vicmarc has had their Dovetail Duo jaws available for some time (148mm one side and 215mm the other), but they now have some further sets of larger dovetail jaws:

148mm
173mm
198mm
223mm

It's cheaper to buy the Duo, if those sizes suit your needs, but the new jaws come in more individual sizes, are more substantial and have a deeper bite than the Duo jaws.

I have been using the 173mm set of jaws (and the Duo) for a few weeks now and have found that they handle the job well. They give the feeling of operating well within their capacity when locked onto larger and heavier lumps of wet wood, particularly reassuring when coring 35kg+ blanks.

Worth considering if you are in need of some larger jaws.

Pic 1 - Jaws with $2 coin to show depth of clamping bite

Pic 2 - Clamped onto a 20" blank ready for coring.

rsser
18th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback Neil.

The VM Duo's seem to be a clever refinement of their Multi-purpose jaws which have removable inner and outer jaws mounted on the same side of a plate. I use these for a wide reach. Also use the Nova Titan with Titan Powergrips or Nova 75mm bowl jaws for heavy grips.

artme
18th April 2010, 07:56 PM
Handy info there Neil. Thanks/:2tsup: