PDA

View Full Version : laminating coloured pencils?

techgirl
18th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Hi All, I'm a complete newbie to woodworking.

I've been thinking of making a few small decorative pieces by laminating pencils into a slab then cutting across them to get a variety of patterns and colours. Can anyone recommend how I might go about liaminaing them? What sort of glue? Could I do it enmasse or two at a time in a clamp/vise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

artme
19th April 2010, 07:45 AM
G'day Techgirl and welcome to the collective madness.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

This is something I've also contemplated. I think it would depend on exactly what you are making at the time, but it seems to me that a few at a time is as many as you would do because of the colour changes.

I would also sand the paint off th side to be glued - at least in patches so you get bette adhesion. A reasonably quick setting glue would also be an advantage.

ash233
19th April 2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe you could think about casting them all into a block of pencils using epoxy casting resin? that way any gaps would also be filled nicely....

Another option might be a hot glue gun if it doesnt get hot again later through sanding etc.

AlexS
19th April 2010, 02:41 PM
They'll stick better if you remove the paint. I've found that pencils can be planed easily, or put through a thicknesser. If they are hexagonal pencils, most glues will be OK. If they're round, you might use epoxy, as it's gap-filling.

davidurquhart
25th April 2010, 09:35 PM
This made me recall a piece of art made of laminated pencils that is really worth a look. It's in the foyer of ABN AMRO in Sydney. The address is below - with the receptionists blessing walk to the right and towards the windows.

ABN AMRO Australia
Level 29, ABN AMRO Tower 88 Phillip St, Sydney NSW 2000
(02)#8259#5000

(There may also be lollies on the table.)

Durdge39
26th April 2010, 09:20 AM
I believe someone has posted a link to, or pictures of, some small items made from coloured pencils laminated together. They were small turnings if I remember correctly - a small bowl, and/or vase type object. Quite interesting to look at. Sorry I can't help with any links at this stage.

I would imagine that the paint on most coloured pencils would be pretty cheap and nasty stuff and I would look at removing it - possibly by sliding them over a handplane held in a vice set to take a fine cut? Wear gloves and possibly make a small jig to hold the pencil as you pass it over it. Don't want to lose any fingertips. :U
Any decent wood glue should do the job I would think for hex pencils - they tessellate pretty well, and the glue is usually stronger than the wood itself.

Would love to see pictures of the end result.

Tom.

munruben
26th April 2010, 10:34 AM
An interesting concept. Would love to see a pic of something done like this.