PDA

View Full Version : new member here

techgirl
18th April 2010, 10:59 PM
Hi all,
At 33 I've decided to be a tech teacher. Only problem is I have no skills in the area. (girls weren't allowed in tech when/where I was at school and years of being the "hopeless one" in my boy dominated family didn't do much for confidence in my physical skills. Only recently have I found that i have a passion for it and the realisation that i can actually do it. :roll:)

The B.Ed. I'm doing promises to teach it all from scratch but we pretty much glossed over hand skills and I'm feeling at a loss. Any helpful tips, hints, online tutorials etc you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment my most pressing need is to know a bit more about tools. Money is short. Any tips on the absolute minimum tools needed for decent hand building? All I have at the moment is a tennon saw and an old wooden table. It's not a lot to start with. I know i need to make a bench hook but even with that I don't know where to start.

Help?

RufflyRustic
19th April 2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Techgirl and Welcome!:U

The best way to get the skills and knowledge, is to simply get into your shed/work area and go to it. It's a lot of fun, as I think you are finding out :D

(the following examples start with the easiest and work up to the biggest)

A general guide is that you will need something to:

cut the timber - eg handsaw, jigsaw, drop saw, sliding compound cutoff saw, table saw, bandsaw
prepare the surface - eg sandpaper and sanding block, electric sander, hand planes, electric plane, thicknesser, linisher
join the timber together - eg glue, screws, screwdrivers, drill and drill bits, dowels, buscuit joiner, chisels & dovetail saw, router and router bits
finish it - eg wipe on poly, shellac, oils, etc and a good wax finish
I'm by no means suggesting you have to have everything in the examples. I started out with the first one in each list and have moved on from there.

As for hints and tips, ideas and such, keep reading and searching here, look at the various woodworking magazines around, go to Wood Shows if you are able and maybe even consider some hands on lessons.

I reckon you've already caught the woodworking bug, the fun is just beginning for you.

Good luck!!! :2tsup::2tsup:

K_S
19th April 2010, 11:51 AM
I'll stay out of the advice department - BUT - go for it and good luck

tea lady
19th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Welcome Tech girl.

My advice would be to go and do a class, or join a wood working club or something. You will be able to use different tools, and work out what you want to do, so what you need comes from that. :cool: I started out thinking I only wanted to do wood turning. Now I've got other things happening too. :cool:

AlexS
21st April 2010, 06:33 PM
Welcome Tech Girl. Roy Schack (http://www.royschack.com/) in Sandford Valley is a good maker & teacher in Sandford Valley if that's near you.

Bluegum
24th April 2010, 02:59 PM
Hi techgirl and welcome aboard.:2tsup: