PDA

View Full Version : Another lathe lifter...

TTIT
19th April 2010, 04:51 PM
After all the gut-busting and toe-crunching at last years show when our club moved the lathe to it's demo position and back each day, I decided to put this trolley together to make it a bit safer and easier this year.
Made it at home without the lathe to measure up against so the extra holes allow for a bit of adjustment (and the locking pin which just happens to be the knock-out bar from the lathe :U ). In the pic it is still lifting the lathe much higher than necessary but it's just a matter of moving the pivot rod a few notches to lower it which will also give more lift-leverage. Folds away to SFA and makes moving the lathe around just too easy.
Dimensions would depend on your lathe but if anyone wants to know more just yell out.

RETIRED
19th April 2010, 04:54 PM
Aha. There's the wheels that fell off my red trolley last week.:D

rsser
19th April 2010, 05:24 PM
Nice work Vern.

Do you find that model Jet rocks around a bit? Was using one on the weekend and even a small bowl blank set up a bit of a wobble. Wasn't bolted down though.

Ross
19th April 2010, 05:31 PM
Aha. There's the wheels that fell off my red trolley last week.:D

has little red trolly????

Ross

Ross
19th April 2010, 06:02 PM
Vern

Just what I need, more information would be appreciated.

Ross

Ozkaban
19th April 2010, 06:26 PM
Very useful as always, Vern :2tsup:

artme
19th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Good one Vern!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Does it help to move the headstock, banjo and tailstock to the centre of the bed?

joe greiner
19th April 2010, 10:01 PM
Excellent, Vern. Hats off for the locking knuckle. A removable crossbar, or crossbars, could accommodate other types of gear too. And maybe even bicycle wheels, if strong enough, for rough terrain.

Even with a fixed headstock, the banjo and tailstock are movable counterweights. Sweet.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Cliff Rogers
19th April 2010, 10:47 PM
:2tsup:

Enfield Guy
19th April 2010, 11:02 PM
Excellent idea. I can see quite wide application for that. Hmmmmmm!!!!

tea lady
19th April 2010, 11:17 PM
:think: Our club could use one of them too.:cool:

Thornburn
19th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Vern,
Excellent job !!

I would be very interested in the dimensions, I have a Jet 1642.

Thanks

Thornburn

TTIT
19th April 2010, 11:29 PM
Nice work Vern.

Do you find that model Jet rocks around a bit? Was using one on the weekend and even a small bowl blank set up a bit of a wobble. Wasn't bolted down though.
Yup - was showing my new apprentice how to rough down a tiny Conkerberry branch and I couldn't believe the amount of vibration from such a small bit of wood :o

Good one Vern!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Does it help to move the headstock, banjo and tailstock to the centre of the bed?Only had to slide the headstock forward to where you see it in the pic to make it easily manageable :2tsup:

Vern

Just what I need, more information would be appreciated.

RossI used 1-1/2" RHS that's only about 1/16th" thick 'cos I get it for nothing - - but it's buggerin' stuff to weld :C. The wheels are 8" diameter because we have to traverse a couple of small steps of concrete (and the club pres' already had them in his shed!) - you could get away with much smaller wheels if you were only moving the lathe on an even floor. The crossbar acts as both a handle to lever the lathe up and a stopper for the folding strut.
To get the dimensions rough enough, I drew a rectangle on the floor the same size as the gap under the lathe. Laid a wheel down midway between the legs so the lowest point was about 2" below the floor line. Measured from the axle to one corner for the solid strut and used the same distance for the total length of the other 2 sections plus about 6" for the overlap. There ya go - clear as mud eh!! :;:U

Texian
20th April 2010, 09:55 AM
Ern, Vern,

Surprised to hear that you found the Jet 1642 to be a bit unsteady. Was the lathe possibly not leveled? This can also cause slight misalignment between head and tail "points", as the bed can actually be twisted a bit if not carefully leveled.

Looks like a very handy trolly.

hughie
20th April 2010, 10:17 AM
:U your at it again, the reluctant metal worker.

Darn good idea, simple and effective the only way to go :2tsup:

TTIT
20th April 2010, 01:28 PM
Ern, Vern,

Surprised to hear that you found the Jet 1642 to be a bit unsteady. Was the lathe possibly not leveled? This can also cause slight misalignment between head and tail "points", as the bed can actually be twisted a bit if not carefully leveled.

Looks like a very handy trolly.You could well be right Tex - we usually just switch it on wherever it gets parked - levelling feet are still in the box :B

dai sensei
20th April 2010, 10:18 PM
You mean rather than buying a new Woodfast mini and trolley set-up to make a mobile lathe, I could have just made one of these for my 1442. On the other hand, then I would have to clean the shed out enough to have a clear pathway :no::U

Great idea TTIT, looks like it works a treat :2tsup:

Ross
20th April 2010, 10:39 PM
There ya go - clear as mud eh!! :;:U

Ahhhhhhh a mud map.

Thanks Vern I'll give it a go, my Nova is too heavy for for me to move on my own.

Ross

NeilS
21st April 2010, 06:19 PM
........:2tsup:

old pete
21st April 2010, 07:30 PM
Hi TTIT,

Congratulations. Simplistic design. Well thought out. Entirely practical. The hallmarks of all good inventions. :roll:

Good one. Old Pete