PDA

View Full Version : Wee Rob canoe

Bill P
23rd April 2010, 01:30 PM
Hi,

I have nearly finished building my first wooden boat- a glued lap Iain Oughtred design.

The new owner seems to like it!

(This is Iain's recently redrawn plan, with 6 strakes & 18" station spacing)

Bill P

rob540
23rd April 2010, 01:55 PM
Lovely work!
( it seems to float very high on the grass:) )

KJL38
23rd April 2010, 03:27 PM
I love it:D A very pretty and practical boat. Does the choice of paddle in the picture mean you're using it in whitewater:roll:

Bill P
23rd April 2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks,

I'm making a wooden paddle to go with this boat. It will have a hollow tas oak shaft and douglas fir blades

Been too busy in the shed to mow the grass!

anewhouse
23rd April 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks,

I'm making a wooden paddle to go with this boat. It will have a hollow tas oak shaft and douglas fir blades

Been too busy in the shed to mow the grass!

Please tell me that "blades" is a typo and that you really meant "blade". :p

Using a single blade canoe paddle is much more enjoyable and gives you better control than using a double paddle, once you learn the correct strokes. Using a kayak paddle in a canoe is quite awkward.

Nice looking canoe BTW.

labr@
23rd April 2010, 11:26 PM
Nice job Bill - reminds me of Thomas Hill's "Charlotte" which he refers to as a "lapstrake" canoe. Is that the same thing by a different name or are there some differences?

Let us know how you go with the paddle - I've made a couple like that but suspect that I could go even lighter by taking more out of the middle. Not sure what the limit is though and don't really want to find it the hard way.

Daddles
23rd April 2010, 11:46 PM
Bill, you can't even begin to imagine the damage you've done to my own plans ... I'd completely forgotten about Iain's canoes :(

Richard

by cripes that wee boatie looks nice :2tsup:

Bill P
24th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Richard & Bob,

I think this boat is quite similar to Tom Hills Charlotte. Wee Rob is 12' long and weighs 14kg. Same construction method.

Tom Hill uses battens at the plank lands along the station moulds. I think that is a good idea with thin ply & wider station spacing. I didn't do that -but would next time There's only 7 stations and the planks, especially garboards, can sag a bit.

Its a couple of kilos heavier than I hoped for. I wanted something my wife could put on the roof racks by herself- but I think it fits the bill anyway.

Bill P

Dave Brewer
24th April 2010, 01:53 PM
very well done indeed.I must build something of Iain's one day.What's next on the menu?
Cheers,
Dave.

Bill P
24th April 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Dave the next project is actually a Tom Yost folder "Sea Otter" but I dare not admit that on a Wooden boat forum.

After that I fancy a Tammie Norrie.

Bill P

Still Smilin'
24th April 2010, 11:42 PM
Definately has to be on the "to do" list - sometime in 2012 I reckon:(

Lovely job Bill and I like the way the thwarts look. I've also looked at Tom Yost's designs - you've certainly picked a couple of projects close to my heart.

Bill P
25th April 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Peter, the thwarts are laminated douglas fir.

Its amazing what you can do with a bit of old fascia board.

Just applied the decal. Some more pics of the interior.

Bill P

graemet
29th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Nice job! How about some pics of her in the water? (Craft, not wife - wife IN the canoe.)
Cheers
Graeme

Bill P
30th April 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Graeme,

Will do- ha! you might get both! The boat needs a top coat and the paddle is underway.

Bill P

Still Smilin'
30th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Hi again Bill,

Well, it's been playing on my mind......got so far as to look up the plans. Could you make a comment on the plans at all. I've never seen any if Iain Oughtred's plans though I've heard they are very detailed and complete.

Peter

wavedancer
30th April 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Peter, The Iain Outghreds plans for the Auk are very good, but I have only ever seen one set of boat plans. Any thing you can't work out the guys here can ( even Daddles:D)
Ian L
Wavedancer

Bill P
1st May 2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Peter,

I originally bought my plans from WoodenBoat. They were cheap and quick. However some lines on their plans were faint, especially the mould base line. A while later Iain wrote to me directly saying he had redrawn the plans and offered a 'upgrade' deal to buyers of the WoodenBoat plans. I hadn't started the boat yet so I snapped his offer up. :2tsup:The new plans are an absolute delight and exquisitely drawn. The main sheet is the sort of thing that could and should be framed and put on a wall.

WoodenBoat are still selling the older plans including the older Macgregor. I would recommend buying the new plans directly off Iain.

Attached is part of the the note Iain sent which explains the difference.

Bill P

Daddles
1st May 2010, 03:53 PM
Attached is part of the the note Iain sent which explains the difference.

Bill P

Love the fact that it's typed (not word processed), with hand written corrections at the bottom ... where one is obviously a later correction of an earlier correction :D

Richard

Bill P
17th May 2010, 10:39 AM
Launch day for Wee Rob yesterday. She handles nicely, quite a fast boat.

The paddle needs a little tuning - I need to take about 100grams off each blade and thin the shaft down a little.

Bill P