PDA

View Full Version : Yellow pine segmented platter with merbau inlay work

Ad de Crom
23rd April 2010, 09:00 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Fully handmade segmented yellow pine platter with merbau inlay work.
Diameter 295mm. Finished with transparent acrylic blanc stain decoration.
Was a fun job, sometimes had the idea to throw it through out of the window, but than I realized, oh yeah I'm retired so stay calm.
Was a cream to work with the relative soft yellow pine (very nice smell) and the rock hard merbau.
Cheers, Ad

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

coffenup
23rd April 2010, 09:22 PM
:wtg:
regards Michael

hughie
23rd April 2010, 11:43 PM
Ad, well done. :2tsup: Now for a oval segmented......:U

wood hacker
23rd April 2010, 11:57 PM
Very impressive work Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
24th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Nice design Ad and a good job of segmenting/turning. :2tsup:

Did you run into any sanding problems because of the two different woods density?

Texian
24th April 2010, 03:15 PM
Very cool piece Ad. The pine looks very similar to some of the pines found in the U.S.

artme
24th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Too much time on your hands Ad!!!:D:p

Seriously nice work all the same!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
24th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Nice design Ad and a good job of segmenting/turning. :2tsup:

Did you run into any sanding problems because of the two different woods density?
Thanks Ed, of course that was a pain, solved that sanding problem by using in the first place a thin flat scraper made out of the blade of a racing skate with rounded ends on both sides, and after that slight sanding.
Ad

Řistein
24th April 2010, 06:28 PM
Nice job Ad, Specially thinking about thees two different materials,

wheelinround
24th April 2010, 06:58 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: nice work Ad

powderpost
24th April 2010, 10:15 PM
Nice looking platter Ad. I find that using a piece of that white styrene packing foam as a sanding pad under the sand paper, very helpful with two timbers of different densities. The foam also conforms to the shape of the platter well. Still am interesting design.
Jim