PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Lathe

Farnk
25th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
Been lurking for a while. Combination of work / family and setting up a new garden is leaving precious little time for turning.

Had some time this week, so after playing with some crap radiata between centres to get my eye back in, I had a go turning a bowl from something interesting.

Anyway here it is. Sorry, but I've no idea what the timber is.

F

tea lady
25th April 2010, 10:39 PM
Anyway here it is. Sorry, but I've no idea what the timber is.

F:2tsup: Pretty nice, that's what it is. Didn't take long for the eye to return.:cool:

artme
26th April 2010, 08:46 AM
Veeeery nice!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Looks a bit like Wilga.

corbs
26th April 2010, 09:47 AM
I like it:)... Zebrano maybe?

munruben
26th April 2010, 10:23 AM
Nice looking piece, Great work..Your eye is well and truly "back in" :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Farnk
26th April 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your kind comments.

The form is pretty basic, but I prefer to keep the shape simple and let the timber show it's appeal. No idea what the timber is, but it almost ended up on the firewood pile as it looked just like a grey, manky looking offcut of old roof beam.

As I was sorting everything out, I noticed the dark grain running through it and trimmed a bit off the edge with the bandsaw to have a look.

Just goes to show that you can't jude a book by it's cover eh?

Christos
26th April 2010, 12:09 PM
Cool.

Nice work.

Gil Jones
26th April 2010, 12:54 PM
It's a beauty:2tsup:
Gil

Ozkaban
26th April 2010, 01:03 PM
Beautiful :2tsup:

I reckon it's olive, though I'm not sure. Did it smell much when turning? Olive pens I've turned look very similar with the dark lines running through it in a similar pattern.

Cheers,
Dave

Farnk
26th April 2010, 01:38 PM
Beautiful :2tsup:

I reckon it's olive, though I'm not sure. Did it smell much when turning? Olive pens I've turned look very similar with the dark lines running through it in a similar pattern.

Cheers,
Dave

No,not olive. I've turned a fair bit of that in the past.
No smell, and the grain is more coarse overall.
The Olive I've turned is lighter.