PDA

View Full Version : Yet another phase converter question

Gerbilsquasher
26th April 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi, I recently coughed up the $9.99 and bought the plans off this guy:

Build a single to 3-phase converter: 16kW Controller - eBay Controllers, Irrigation, Farming, Industrial. (end time 02-May-10 17:47:51 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Build-a-single-to-3-phase-converter-16kW-Controller_W0QQitemZ260590397630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agriculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment?hash=item3cac65e8be)

From the above link, you can see that he also sells the digital controller for around $400.

On face value, after reviewing the plans and making a few enquiries regarding cost of components it appears straightforward and feasible.

I am moving to a property which only has 480v two phase and the cost of building this thing is less than 10% of getting 3 phase connected.

There are other options but I have a big welder and air compressor for which VSDs or single phase motor swaps won't help. By the time I pay for this I may as well pay for the 3 phase.

Yes I have the technical skill to safely rewire for VSDs or single phase motors, and I am confident that this is more than enough to build my own phase converter.

I also promise not to touch the home brew until I have screwed the cabinet shut and turned it off!!

The beauty of the above design is that it is relevant to Australian requirements and not modified from one of the plethora of American designs such as those found on Practical Machinist.

Question is, has anyone built one of these phase converters based on the above design with the digital controller from New Zealand? I would appreciate any information from those who may have tried this design already.

No doubt there might be some negativity from representatives of phase converter manufacturers, as I have mentioned 'DIY' to some of these people before.......

Thanks!

Vernonv
27th April 2010, 12:02 PM
Sorry I can't help with the design you are intending on building, but I do run a hybrid static/rotary phase converter on a 480V system that was dirt cheap to get going. It simply consists of a few capacitors and some contactors ... all up less than $100.

I run all the motors at 480V without a stepdown transformer and have not had any issues with overheating, etc. I regularly run up to 11hp from the unit and it and the motors seem to be going strong.

If you would like any further details, let me know.