PDA

View Full Version : adding gloss finish to floating floor?

Mybrains
19th September 2004, 03:41 AM
From what I have seen, all floating floors (engineered, top layer 4mm veneer wood) have a matt finish. They seem to be made in malaysia by the OZ companies too (redyflor, planet etc)
I read their finish is a multi layer polyurethane finish (i think). If I was to fit a floating floor like this, is there an easy way to just add a top coat of high gloss? (not wax). What to buy and where from?
Also can this polish be done with DIY tools like a drill with a polish attachment rather than needing a real floor polisher? Its only a 2.4metre area.....and im used to crawling on my knees (just ask the wife ...lol)
ta,
pete

Des.K.
19th September 2004, 04:12 PM
Hi mybrains

I've put the Premium Readyflor (kempas) down in three rooms, and will be putting it down in a fourth some time before Christmas. Like you, we prefer the gloss to the satin/matt finish it comes with. I used "Premium Gold floor finish gloss for cork and timber floors". It's a polyurethane finish, and a 4 litre tin cost about $65 at bunnies.

Preparation was no big deal. Just a quick and light once-over with 200g sandpaper, vacuum, and a thorough wipe with tack-cloth. Then I rolled the stuff on with a fine gloss paint roller, left it to dry (about 12 hrs), then did it all again. Really happy with how they've turned out. High gloss, and very hard-wearing.

Regards
Des