PDA

View Full Version : Computer based Music Library

Johnnz
26th April 2010, 08:30 PM
Hi all,
Have posted about this project elsewhere on this website, but now that I have a few photos it seems that this forum is a more appropriate place to post updates on.

Basically, I am converting an old PC into a music jukebox of sorts and modifying it to suit the purpose. The woodwork side of this project has been the construction of a Solid English Elm case to cover the computer incorporating a small LCD screen for a monitor on the front panel, as well as a variety of control inputs including a scroll wheel selector knob (a project in itself involving parts sourced from a model helicopter, an old vcr, tap washer, to name a few!).

Currently, the case is sanded and waiting to be lacquered.

Will put up more photos as final assembly progresses.;

smagrath
30th April 2010, 10:19 PM
I really like the look of this!
A few questions:
a) the cutting of the angles - how did you do this and get it so right?
b) have you made up jigs for cutting the CD slot, holes, etc? I noticed nicely routered out rebates inside...
c) the electronics photo - is this a rotary encoder?

Anyway - keep us posted and inspried!

Johnnz
1st May 2010, 07:29 PM
Thankyou smagrath.

a) There is a bit more info about the method I used to work out the angles with Google Sketchup and how I cut them in my original thread here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/google-sketchup-cabinet-plan-suggestions-welcome-114206/

b) The routing was mostly done using a copy router at work (similar to this one: http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1054370/11246449/0/1259383441/3_Drill_Grip_Opening_Copy_Router_Wolftech_Machine_PVC_technologies.jpg) that is really designed for use with aluminium, but does well with wood as long as you only go about 5mm deep on each pass. Basically it clamps the work piece to the base and you can set the limits for the router bit with stops, which you then pull down to meet the workpiece with a handle and move it within the preset stops to cut out the desired shape.

c) The electronics picture is indeed a rotary encoder, used to browse and select songs to play. It is based on an old computer mouse to which I have added a circuit that emulates a double click (to start playing a song) from a single press of the dial. It also has a function to pull on the knob and twist left or right to quickly skim through the list of albums on the screen by activating page up or page down keys.

I have just had some icons/symbols cut from silver sign writing vinyl that I will stick on the front panel and remote beside the buttons between coats of lacquer that should hopefully be sprayed on by a neighbouring business at work sometime early this coming week.

smagrath
1st May 2010, 10:50 PM
Well, you've got me hooked so you had better keep the photos coming of your progress!

You've got me planning my own hifi now...

:)

Johnnz
5th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Just got the lacquering finished today and have brought all the pieces back home to install the electronics into. Tonight I managed to get the remote control together and tested OK. Here's a few photos:

smagrath
5th May 2010, 07:53 PM
Nice work - I've been wondering how to make wooden buttons for remotes and other electronic appliances that have micro-switches. From memory, most remotes have a rubber mat above a contact switch PCB... how do you secure the buttons so
a) they don't fall out, and
b) work reliably

Nice job - keep it coming! :U

Johnnz
5th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks. The switches I used were these ones:

SP Momentary Push "On" Push Button Switch - Single Black (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4be13d44024914c62740c0a87f3b0693/Product/View/P7572)

As you can probably just make out in the picture there are little clips each side that hold the black plastic buttons on. I simply unclipped them, laid them on their side and used a sharp chisel to slice off the top cube of the button and replaced it using epoxy glue with a small cube of wood, then clipped them back on to the switch body. Pretty fiddly but do-able.

Johnnz
28th May 2010, 11:02 PM
Got the left hand knob completed last night. Rather a lot of effort (and considerable tweaking to get smooth operation) to get the simple functionality of twist left (previous track), twist right (next track), and push (play/pause). But quite an enjoyable little project within the larger project all the same.

A few pics of my workspace in action, and ever handy collection of miniature screws I have accumulated over my lifetime. Something about the colorfulness of the tools and materials in this sort of hobby appeals to me visually.

smagrath
29th May 2010, 10:18 AM
Nice.

Are the electronics your own design or are you working from a kit? You'll be very pleased when it all comes to life!

You've got me going on my own HiFi project now - it'll be a tube amp though, a kind of woodpunk thing. Parts are ordered and in transit...

Mr Brush
29th May 2010, 11:30 AM
I just came across this thread - you've done a fantastic job there Johnnz :2tsup:

That is one incredibly funky cabinet !!

I've just built a HTPC myself using left over bits of old computers, but didn't even think of putting it into a timber case like yours. Looking forward to seeing the completed project in all its glory.

Johnnz
5th June 2010, 05:29 PM
Nice.

Are the electronics your own design or are you working from a kit? You'll be very pleased when it all comes to life!

You've got me going on my own HiFi project now - it'll be a tube amp though, a kind of woodpunk thing. Parts are ordered and in transit...

Pleased to have played a part in inspiring you. I can imagine those tubes casting a warm glow of light onto some beautiful wood grain already:cool:. Hope that you will make a thread to document your progress too if you have time.

The only electronics I had to make was the double click emulator which I was helped with on an electronics forum website. The rest is mainly just the connection of switches hardwired into the control circuitboard inside the computer keyboard.

Johnnz
5th June 2010, 05:36 PM
I just came across this thread - you've done a fantastic job there Johnnz :2tsup:

That is one incredibly funky cabinet !!

I've just built a HTPC myself using left over bits of old computers, but didn't even think of putting it into a timber case like yours. Looking forward to seeing the completed project in all its glory.

Thanks. What do you use for software? I have tried to keep my interface as minimalist and simple as possible. As mine is only for playing music, I used Foobar2000, and used a program called Autohotkey that automatically starts this program when the computer is switched on and makes it fullscreen. I will have a bit more work to do on some of the hotkey scripts (for disc playback and ripping etc) before it works seamlessly, but wont worry about that until the hardware is all installed and working in the cabinet.

Oxbox
8th July 2010, 01:41 PM

Mr Brush
8th July 2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry, wasn't paying attention....:rolleyes:

I run the 32-bit Windows 7 MC on my box, with a Logitech remote programmed to do just about anything. Fairly easy navigation for watching live TV, recording TV, playing music, viewing photos, watching DVDs and so on.

The only hassle is the EPG, but I'm exploring a few options for improving on that.

If you choose the right components, you can make up a media centre PC that runs very cool indeed and will fit into a tiny case.:2tsup:

Mr Brush
8th July 2010, 02:08 PM
In case you haven't found it, this online forum is a great resource for HTPC builders:

Register at Australian Media Center Community (http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/register.php)

Not quite such a frantic place as this forum, but there are many knowledgeable folks there that can help with any HTPC issues you may have.

Johnnz
2nd August 2010, 04:36 PM
Just a few new photos showing progress on the modification of the original steel computer case fitted with alloy brackets to allow mounting into the wood cabinet.

Also showing attachment of rotary dials in front face of cabinet.

smagrath
3rd August 2010, 07:35 PM
Keep it coming :-)

Shane

Johnnz
9th August 2010, 07:36 PM
More photos showing drives mounted onto original reworked chassis/base and optical drive aligned to slot in front face.

Next step is to add brackets from the metal base to the rear bottom of the side walls for structural strength since the join is a weak point without reinforcing braces.

Also, the LCD screen and driver board need to be installed (mounting spacers are already positioned in roof of cabinet on top of the power switch). Also need to install Infrared remote sensor/usb circuit, and keyboard circuit for front panel controls.

Then, just a matter of wiring everything up and making sure it all works - bit worried I might have done some inadvertent damage with static electricity to boards. Despite taking care not to touch components I wasn't wearing any anti static wristbands etc. Just tried to take apart on stainless steel kitchen sink to help reduce risk.

Should only be a matter of days or a week now before I can power up and get action shots, maybe post a video clip of the interface and scrolling functions.

smagrath
10th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Looking good!

How does the action of the micro-switches on the front "feel"? I've been thinking through possible alternatives to the small microswitch as they seem difficult to do well/look good when they are so small...

You must be keen to get it on air !

Shane

Johnnz
11th August 2010, 07:36 PM
To be honest, there is a bit of difference between each of the buttons "feel" and sound. They all work fine still but it is difficult, as you said, to work with small plastic components and maintain the factory 'press' quality and tolerances when reworking them.

smagrath
13th August 2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah - I thought so. My thinking is to replace them with something larger and brassy. Would require a bit more refactoring of the electronics but probably more satisfying for longer term usage.

Johnnz
22nd August 2010, 07:38 PM
Finally all finished. Now a place to put it... will have to make a stereo rack asap:rolleyes:

smagrath
23rd August 2010, 07:39 PM
You've done really well with this.:2tsup:
So, is it all commissioned and in-service in a high profile part of the home?

So, what's next?

I've got my parts - I just neeed to develop a case design...

Shane