PDA

View Full Version : Sander

mjford
19th September 2004, 07:56 AM
Hi all, some weeks ago I came accross a sander for sanding bowls etc. It is a hand held piece with an interchangable head, that appeared to have velcro on foam rubber, for changing grit sizes, I thought it was in "Wood Review" but now I cannot find it, I have come accross 1 advertised by "MIK", but that is not it.
Has anyone used these, what are they like, and who has them for sale, thanks.

Sturdee
19th September 2004, 05:15 PM
Do you mean the Vic Wood Rotary Sander. If so available from U-beaut. See http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

Peter.

Christopha
19th September 2004, 08:21 PM
The Vic Wood rotary sander is by far the best one of the bunch. Buy it!!

JackoH
20th September 2004, 09:52 AM
What Do--oops sorry! Christopha said. I have had the Vic Wood Sander ever since I did a course with him 5 or 6 years ago and use it almost exclusively, especially on bowls. ;)
Do not be seduced by inferior and mostly more expensive immitations. Buy from U. and while you're at it get a set of the non-clog discs for the tool.

PAH1
20th September 2004, 12:54 PM
I have also heard that the vermec one is pretty good, has an adjustable head angle but a great deal more stable than many of the clones.

barnsey
20th September 2004, 03:34 PM
Have a Vic Wood too and couldn't recommend it more highly - excellent.

Jamie

Christopha
20th September 2004, 05:36 PM
Vermec thing is ok, maybe the best of the copies but it aint' a patch on the Vic Wood 'un!

Mc
21st September 2004, 02:25 AM
Have used both the Vic Wood sander which I own and love and the Vermec which I borried fer a couple of days. The Vermec looks excellent an appears to be extremely well engineered but has a couple of wee drawbacks. Firstly it is far too heavy fer any extended work and will have yer hand droppin off after only a few short minutes use. Secondly, and this was a bit of a surprize I must say. I spun the head clean off the sander when ever I made a sudden change in direction under load. Tightened the rascal up and did the same thing again and again. I rang me mate who I'd borried it from and he told me that it always happened to him. I fixed it for him wi a wee drap o locktight.

He hasne had the same problem again but then again he has got himself a Vic Wood one since then and now hardly ever uses the other one. At could be a really good tool but unfortunately it isne.

Me Vic Wood one has been workin hard for over 7 years now and has been a god send. In that time all I have needed te do was replace the velcro once. Forgot te put the sandpaper on bfore sticking the thing inte a big bowl. Velcro dosne like that.

Get yerself some of the ubeaut paper te go with it an you'll have the best tool fer sandin that ever there was.

rsser
22nd September 2004, 09:36 AM
You can also make your own. Get one of the 2" or 3" power sanding pads and glue the shaft into a bearing set in your own turned handle. From memory Herman deVries in the US has a somewhat simpler version than this described on the web - do a Google.

I use power sanding myself, though I have to admit sanding with paper and digits is more reliable for avoiding ridges.