PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Bowl

Texian
28th April 2010, 01:15 PM
This ash-juniper bowl had some major cracks, didn't like the shape, and it was destined for the burn pile, so a good candidate for experimentation. Some nice carved leaves or something would be better if one had the resources (tools and skills) for that kind of work. Anyhow decided to remove the offending areas in my own simple way and see what was left. It's called "desegmenting", where you remove segments from a solid piece instead of gluing them together to make a "solid" piece. Shocked that my wife loves it. C. & C. welcome.

Paul39
28th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Very nice, I like it.

Paul

bench1holio
28th April 2010, 05:40 PM
nice looking timber, and a pretty good save i reckon! :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
28th April 2010, 06:08 PM
Richard, by removing of the offending area's (cracks), actually the best thing you could do, you have now, an one of a kind bowl. In my opinion a bit strange, might be for you too. I see it as a nice experiment, it has a practical use for the lady of the house, think this is the reason your wife loves it.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
28th April 2010, 06:26 PM
Worth the experiment Richard. Good on you for trying.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think the sharp angles conflict too much with the curved shape of the bowl. Do you think it worthwhile to do something similar but make the removed segments with curves that flow from those of the bowl?

corbs
28th April 2010, 08:04 PM
Nicely executed but I tend to agree with Art. I think it would have looked nice with a flowing curve around the rim.

Enfield Guy
28th April 2010, 08:33 PM
Very nice!! I too would tend to agree that curves rather than sharp corners may have been more appropriate. Like I said though, very very nice, and otherwise it may have been binned. Worthy experiment.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
28th April 2010, 10:26 PM
Nice work, great save
You've opened up a lot of possibilities with this, which will no doubt be further developed
and it's great when our loved ones immediately confiscate our efforts.

tea lady
28th April 2010, 11:40 PM
I love it too. Very nice simple "desegmentation". :cool: I think it looks fine as it is. the straight cuts are a nice contrast to the curved form. (which also looks really nice and even. :pi: ) :2tsup::U

Texian
29th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone for taking time to comment. I like the idea of radiusing the sharp corners into the rim, maybe to sort of match the curvature of the sides. Will keep it in mind if/when the next burn pile candidate appears.

Ed Reiss
30th April 2010, 12:25 PM
Strange looking natural edge bowl :roll::D

Looks good to me Richard...good job :2tsup:

Texian
30th April 2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks Ed. Was between projects and it ranked right up there with "something to do" that day. Was surprised that my wife liked it a lot, and the more I look at it the better I like it too.

Rum Pig
30th April 2010, 02:08 PM
I like it and a good save well done:2tsup:

Texian
1st May 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks R.P.