PDA

View Full Version : Mitre Saw into Metal cut off saw

tergar37
28th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Hi Gary here, I need to cut a piece of 25mm square steel, would it be safe & feasible to replace the saw blade on my Mitre saw with a metal cut off disc????.

Tergar

Dave J
28th April 2010, 06:15 PM
The answer is yes, as long as it is not a plastic guard.
Years ago all I used was my 91/4 makita saw with a cutting disc on it. I still use it every now and then instead of the grinders. Some jobs it gives you more control to get a strait line.
Dave

tergar37
28th April 2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you Dave, I just needed assurance to have a crack at it, I did put a metal cut off blade on my Makita Saw in the Triton M3 Work bench in the cross cut mode and worked fine so I really couldn't see any problem.

Gary

Dave J
28th April 2010, 09:51 PM
My grandfather regular uses one on his home made table saw, you just have to watch the sparks hitting you.
Dave

joe greiner
28th April 2010, 10:11 PM
Sparks will be the least of your concerns when/if a cutoff wheel shatters. BTDT. From Dremel on up. Stand off to the side of the line of fire. Expect the worst, hope for the best, and all will be well.

Cheers,
Joe

rusty steel
28th April 2010, 10:32 PM
Hello Gary,
Surely you have a 100mm angle grinder. Get one of those 1.0mm cut off disks. They are terrific. On metal that thick I would work my way around it so that the disk was less likely to jamb. I cut up a large crowbar into pieces with one without any problems.
Russell

eskimo
30th April 2010, 03:14 PM
Hello Gary,
Surely you have a 100mm angle grinder. Get one of those 1.0mm cut off disks. They are terrific. On metal that thick I would work my way around it so that the disk was less likely to jamb. I cut up a large crowbar into pieces with one without any problems.
Russell

You can pick up a cheapie at bunnings and which will probably include disks worth more than the grinder

soundman
2nd May 2010, 03:30 PM
Yeh....Um.....you will probaly get away with running a grinder blade in a wood saw machine..... but its not something you realy want to do regularly.....the gear train simply isnt designed for that sort of work.

Remember too that every wood mitre saw That I have seen has many parts made either out of plastic or aluminium.....lots of hot steel sparks is good for neither.

remember too that metal cutting machines are designed to retain and direct sparks down...where wood cutting tools are generaly designed to eject their waste

If its just one or two cuts..whats wrong with a hacksaw.

if you have plenty of cuts to do.....there are planty of cheap metal drop saws out there.

As far as cutting stuff up with a 4" grinder......what a painfull thing...I'd rather use a hacksaw.....the only time I'lll use a small hand grinder with a cutting wheel is when I am cutting something appart and usually when I cant get a hacksaw or a recipro saw into it.

cheers

cheers

rusty steel
2nd May 2010, 09:03 PM
Hey Soundman,
I've got another 6 foot crowbar , 35mm dia. I need it cut into 6 inch pieces. Let me know how many hacsaw blades you think you will need and I will send them up with the bar.
Thanks for the offer,
Regards,
Russell

joe greiner
2nd May 2010, 09:10 PM
Hacksaw vs. grinder: It depends on what you're cutting, and how much of it. For mild steel, a hacksaw is OK. For orphaned bed frames, a hacksaw is a PITA, because of metal hardness. And for large thick sheet metal, a saber saw is a PITA too. Developing skill with the grinder and cutoff wheel can pay off well.

Cheers,
Joe

soundman
2nd May 2010, 09:38 PM
No problem Russel...if you pay postage both ways I'll cut it up for you with my drop saw:D

There is a bit of a difference between cutting a few bits of light RHS and chopping up bits of solid carbon steel.

Even if i didn't have a drop saw I wouldn't be pissing arround with a 4".....you'd probably have to replace the blade for every cut..or at least every second.

But If I had to cut it with a hack saw... a few "all hard" blades and some lubricant would get you thru it....and you'd be healtier for it:2tsup:

cheers

matthew_g
2nd May 2010, 10:02 PM
I could put it into my hydraulic lift and fall coolant feed power hacksaw if you want....I won't even charge you for the blade:D
Postage on the crowbar only.

rusty steel
2nd May 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the offers guys,I was just being sarcastic.

Regards,
Russell

soundman
2nd May 2010, 11:31 PM
We know...so were we :harhar:

cheers

glock40sw
4th May 2010, 11:51 AM
G'day. A $49 GMC wood drop saw with a $110 Irwin metal cutting blade TCT tipped. Works like a charm.
Just have really good eye protection...:2tsup:

rusty steel
4th May 2010, 09:40 PM
Hello Gary,
Some years ago I used my Makita Mitre Saw to cut some steel (with a metal cutting disc). It did the job OK but a lot of grit found its way down the gap between the fixed and moveable parts of the table and made the round part of the table difficult to move until I dismantled it and cleaned the grit out.
Russell