PDA

View Full Version : Sydney in August - its now September * * *

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Christos
21st August 2010, 10:45 PM
looks like a good GTG so I have a big jug to make all them coffees

I have a double decaf, light decaf, with light soy decaf, with two raw sugars with a twist of lemon.

Tim the Timber Turner
21st August 2010, 11:06 PM
WARNING

Powderpost blew through Adelaide today.

Checked out my workshop.

Messed up all my tools.

Checked out my wood stocks.

Photographed all my prototype designs.

Emptied the workshop fridge.

Pinched all the bickies from the biscuit barrel.

Scared the daylights out of Mr Pickles (the workshop cat).

Then wanted a ride back to his city hotel.

Still what else could you expect from someone who takes perfectly good pieces of wood, cuts them up into small bits, then glues them back together again:?. The man need to get a hobby.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

PS. He did buy coffee and afternoon tea in a cosy little cafe in the Adelaide Hills:2tsup:.

RETIRED
21st August 2010, 11:54 PM
At least the bugger is consistent.:D Did much the same here except he had to cook his own tea.

wheelinround
22nd August 2010, 10:04 AM
Well he'll find Sydney boring and might loose some weight in the bargain.

No fridge, no tools, no wood. Just great company and friends.

Now if he can cook well a BBQ could be a good way to go.

hughie
22nd August 2010, 10:14 AM
Now if he can cook well a BBQ could be a good way to go.

What? We dont know if he can cook? What the.......!

nz_carver
22nd August 2010, 10:24 AM
7 days to go:2tsup:
now if I have the numbers rite Thats 15 + 6 ladies
and then 3 of my mates so thats 24 people

Ok boys if you have a mini lathe stick it in the boot!!!!!

hughie sent me a pm asking for a table so we can trade sell stuff we dont want:2tsup:
Do you think I cant fiit the people 2 doors down on it????:D

coffenup
22nd August 2010, 09:55 PM
I can tell you guys are lucky. Jim is one interesting person to talk to and learn from. I had the pleasure of talking to him and his lovely wife.
He is a wealth of knowledge things books & DVD's can't teach you. Wish I could have spent more time to learn more from him.
I will be in Sydney on Tuesday & Wednesday & I will Miss the get together
so have a great day
Regards Michael

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2010, 10:15 PM
Michael

My 13yo son loves your name and avatar!
Not sure what this means!
and he should be in bed anyway!!!!

nz_carver
23rd August 2010, 11:09 AM
so will see you sunday Nick??

nz_carver
23rd August 2010, 06:50 PM
ok pms send with my address

notes
if you want to bring a plate plz do

if you have a fold up seat plz take it with you as with 21 people + seating might be a problem

Start time 10am
cost $5 covers food drink

if you have a mini lathe fell free to take it with you

And im happy to take wood off anyones hands as my stash is low

wheelinround
27th August 2010, 10:25 AM
Hope to see you all Sunday

Dave won't be bringing the Mini Lathe Sue's back is playing up and Pat can't turn pens ATM.:p

thumb trimmer
27th August 2010, 03:45 PM
Dave,

As PM'd, I'll most likely be there with the missus.

See you and the others there. :fingerscrossed:

TT

wheelinround
27th August 2010, 03:50 PM
Best put up a reminder Ian who is picking up Jim and his LOHL will not be able to drop them back in the city so we are after someone who is heading that way if possible to do the return trip.

Pat has said he can possibly do the 1500k return journey if need be, at least thats 1/2 way home to FNQ.:U

nz_carver
27th August 2010, 05:11 PM
thats ok Ray there mis a stool with your name on it next to my mini:2tsup:

yeah looking fwd to a good day

a mate is goingt to stop in and see us hes allso got a new tow for the workshop
can anyone pick what it is??????

ian
27th August 2010, 07:10 PM
Almost time to start the coutdown

Jim gets back on his train in 50 minutes -- that's assuming it's running on time :)

wheelinround
27th August 2010, 07:27 PM
Almost time to start the coutdown

Jim gets back on his train in 50 minutes -- that's assuming it's running on time :)

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
27th August 2010, 07:31 PM
Just to reconfirm. I will be attending with Jane.

Might not get there until midday thou.

Sawdust Maker
27th August 2010, 09:46 PM
Best put up a reminder Ian who is picking up Jim and his LOHL will not be able to drop them back in the city so we are after someone who is heading that way if possible to do the return trip.

Pat has said he can possibly do the 1500k return journey if need be, at least thats 1/2 way home to FNQ.:U

I said a little while ago that I could quite quite possibly do the drop off back to the city
what time are we concluding proceedings?

Sawdust Maker
27th August 2010, 09:49 PM
BTW
yep I'll be there
but closer to 1:30
don't eat all the lunch without me ...

Christos
27th August 2010, 11:11 PM
btw
yep i'll be there
but closer to 1:30

1:35

:)

wheelinround
28th August 2010, 09:38 AM
I said a little while ago that I could quite quite possibly do the drop off back to the city

I did recall that Nick thanks :2tsup: ..........There you go Pat I know FNQ sounded to good for you to warm for starters.:q

So we will be waiting for Sawdust makers coleslaw till when :o at least you'll have that you can eat :U

No worries Nick we'll keep you a doggy bag :p

Sawdust Maker
28th August 2010, 10:13 AM
1:35

:)

funny bvgger :p

nz_carver
28th August 2010, 10:28 AM
Ray notice your here not at the penrith show????

munruben
28th August 2010, 10:42 AM
Weather forecast not the best for tomorrow, 18deg max but I guess that's not too bad. No rain forecast so should be a nice day. Hope you all have a great time, I'm sure you will and don't forget the pics otherwise, "it didn't happen" Have a great day guys and gals.:2tsup:

wheelinround
28th August 2010, 06:57 PM
John weather is NO :no: problem we will just move to the underground car park at Rooty Hill RSL :D tap a line into the BEER pipe and we are set. Power for tools similar.

On a brighter note I spoke to young Dave at Penrith show today, we have a late comer into the bargain "Man with wood" Greg Ward now will he bring a trailer or will he bring a truck load.:U

Pat
28th August 2010, 09:41 PM
Hopefully Greg may bring some American Maple or Rock Maple for an order I received today. No I am not actually making any money out of my hobby. One of my mates getting hitched and they decided that I was to provide a "chest" for all the other guests to put in envelopes.

Simple box with a coopered lid . . . and I have done eggsactly None previously:U

wheelinround
28th August 2010, 09:55 PM
Hopefully Greg may bring some American Maple or Rock Maple for an order I received today. No I am not actually making any money out of my hobby. One of my mates getting hitched and they decided that I was to provide a "chest" for all the other guests to put in envelopes.

Simple box with a coopered lid . . . and I have done eggsactly None previously:U

Pat put two planks of wood on your chest with a sign stick envelope here all funds greatly accepted. :q

This may help Pat Coopered Chest #2 by TheCaver - Google 3D Warehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=331568becc7596285257428a7d0621fc)

Sawdust Maker
28th August 2010, 10:30 PM
Ooohh
I hope he's bringin' the thicker timber ie bowl thickness

and yep I'll bring the camera
and maybe a tripod for a group piccy :q

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 07:57 AM
Ooohh

Ya didna mention the coleslaw I noticed and with ya bin late for lunch it may be the only thing left.:q

nz_carver
29th August 2010, 09:43 AM
Ooohh

with out me in it:q

lunch is 12 1230
I will stick some away for you:U

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 10:01 AM
The lathe, trestle, pen drill's and wood is in the car you better be extra nice to Sue with what she's bringing for Lunch additional. Plus putting the stuff in the car.:;

nz_carver
29th August 2010, 10:08 AM
Dads set every think up so some one might turn him a pen??
there is so much food, tea, coffee

I tryed to tell him NO but food and people is his thing
just like wood is our thing and its best just to let him do what he enjoys

See you all soon:2tsup:

Pat
29th August 2010, 05:46 PM
Home to meet the newest fur kid, Toby, a Jack Russell x Foxie boy. A playmate for Lucy, when he grows up a bit, he's only 8 weeks old.

My thanks to Dave and his family for putting on the day, Ray and Sue for the organising/agitating, Jim (Powderpost) and Sharon for being very good " Guests of Honour" and the rest of the riff raff for being like minded and good blokes/sheilas.

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 07:22 PM
I'd like to say a BIG THANKS to Dave Nz-carvers parents for allowing the GTG at their home even vacating it. It was good to meet his mum at last a wonderful lady...you'll find out why at the end of this post. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

To Dave's dad for the excellent food and beverages.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Sue/LOML for the Thai Chicken salad and the Pantonella salad :2tsup:

Thanks to Dave for having the GTG at his place

Our Guest of honour Jim and Sharon Mr & Mrs Powderpost for making the great journey south to warmer weather than Melbourne OR South Aus could offer. Thanks Jim for the information on segmentation I was listening to some of it, and the Thumb drive full of gear.:U:U

Thanks to all you guys who turned up today for with out you it would not have happened either.

Pat thanks for the bits n pieces new pup where's the pics was this a road side pic up or a Sunday bargain.:q

Graham and Jenny for the Camphor

Greg Ward and his new look made an appearance but when he told us where he had dropped and left his wife at :o

Christos you and Jane missed a top day but congratulations on the little bundle of joy that has now entered your life :U

Photo's will come with time.

Now Dave's mother has graciously demanded a return performance she has offered their home and shed again for a Christmas GTG. A new thread will be started so think of a date.

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 08:23 PM
Special thanks to Ian for picking up Jim and Sharon bring them out shame you had to run.

Special thanks to Sawdust maker for the return journey

Jime I hope the two taxi services didn't scalp you to much for the journey's:U

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 08:34 PM
Pics 1 & 2 The Man Cave/ Shed

Pic 3 Powderpost/Jim Hardenfast/Wayne Ted ( quiet forumite)

Pic 4 the cutest of them all Madison, Thumb Trimmer, Hughie, Pat discussing how hard tools some interesting devices for ripping wood.

Pic 5 Pat, Bowl basher, Wheelin Pat and Ray steadying the lathe for BB

Pic 6 Powderpost/Jim explaining the finer points of honing, Sawdust maker (feeding the inner man), Hardenfast listening intently.

Pic 7 Interest in Powederposts demo on turning a bead and cove. (Oh Nick loved the Canon I want one sorry about the dust :U)

Pic 8 & 9 Jim and his stubborn bit of Victorian Osage Orange pat got last Christmas

bowl-basher
29th August 2010, 08:39 PM
Hey NZ
Top day ......:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Thanks to you and your family the lunch was SUPER even if wheelin did get away with the desert:D:D
It was great to put a few faces to the names
I will send the rest of my pics to Wheelin and He can post them with his
Thanks again
Bowl-Basher

bowl-basher
29th August 2010, 08:42 PM
Pics 1 & 2 The Man Cave/ Shed

Pic 3 Powderpost/Jim Hardenfast/Wayne Ted ( quiet forumite)

Pic 4 the cutes of them all Madison, Thumb Trimmer, Hughie, Pat discussing hoe hade tools some interesting devices for ripping wood.

Pic 5 Pat, Bowl basher, Wheelin Pat and Ray steadying the lathe for BB

Pic 6 Powderpost/Jim explaining the finer points of honing, Sawdust maker (feeding the inner man), Hardenfast listening intently.

Pic 7 Interest in Powederposts demo on turning a bead and cove. (Oh Nick loved the Canon I want one sorry about the dust :U)

where are the pics?????????:C:C

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 08:51 PM
where are the pics?????????:C:C

Up now damn didn't load first go even though all went through ok :~

Ok so they nabbed me with the cake I won't tell them how often you returned to the food table eh.:roll:

Pat
29th August 2010, 08:55 PM
Ok so they nabbed me with the cake I won't tell them how often you returned to the food table eh.:roll:

At least he left the table:q

Ted ( quiet forumite) Ted, maybe quiet but he does do some truly wonderful and imaginative work. Hopefully he'll post those that he brought with him today.

Was the pen made?

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 08:56 PM
Only a small spread I am afraid.

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 09:17 PM
At least he left the table:q

Ted, maybe quiet but he does do some truly wonderful and imaginative work. Hopefully he'll post those that he brought with him today.

Was the pen made?

I hope Ted posts I missed out seeing his unique toys too :C its an interesting device.

The Pen we were trying to teach Nz-carver to make Nick destroyed a nice Huon Pine Siera

Pat
29th August 2010, 09:31 PM
The Pen we were trying to teach Nz-carver to make Nick destroyed a nice Huon Pine Siera

Trust Nick to do that, but Dave had plenty of blanks.

I hope the crud that I left went to worthy home?

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Pic 1 Contrary to all I have said in the past I don't turn like this at home

Pic 2 deep discussion

Pic 3 The buy sell swap table was a success well it had everybody looking anyway. (note the tall dark stranger near the right behind Thumb trimmer and daughter) the new look Greg Ward :o See last pic also

Pic 4 lunch is served

Pic 5 :no::roll:

Thanks Graham

Christos
29th August 2010, 09:50 PM
Christos you and Jane missed a top day but congratulations on the little bundle of joy that has now entered your life :U

I think I was clear on what I told Wheelinround but alas I think I might have mucked it up.

He is the run down

Jane's friend who has returned from China has given birth today. Jane was asked by her friend to take to hospital (Yesterday at 17:30ish). Sometime later 14 - 16 hours her friend gave birth to a baby boy.

At 10am I called Jane to confirm my pickup time as my car is not working. She mention that she will be a little late. So I called Weehinround to inform. It was not until later that I got a the details from Jane. So I sent a SMS to Wheelinround.

And thanks I will passon your best wishes. :U

thumb trimmer
29th August 2010, 09:51 PM
A huge thanks to Dave and his parents :2tsup: for hosting the GTG and feeding us all (so well), to Ray for organising the event :2tsup:, and to Jim and Sharon for joining us from Melbourne :2tsup:.
And I'm sorry :C that I couldn't stay to hear out Jim and his demo; little Miss Madison needed her arvo nap.
The discussion (particularly tool related) was great, and I look forward to taking on board much that was discussed.

Thanks again and hope to catch you all again (maybe at the next one) :U

TT

Christos
29th August 2010, 09:54 PM
To everyone

I am sorry that I was not able to attend.

Seems that this was a nice turnout. Will now have to wait for the next one.

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 09:59 PM
I think I was clear on what I told Wheelinround but alas I think I might have mucked it up.

He is the run down

Jane's friend who has returned from China has given birth today. Jane was asked by her friend to take to hospital (Yesterday at 17:30ish). Sometime later 14 - 16 hours her friend gave birth to a baby boy.

At 10am I called Jane to confirm my pickup time as my car is not working. She mention that she will be a little late. So I called Weehinround to inform. It was not until later that I got a the details from Jane. So I sent a SMS to Wheelinround.

And thanks I will passon your best wishes. :U

:U Nope your message was clear SMS that is.

The phone conversation was hard to hear to many fellows talking.:;

Not to worry Christos a Christmas GTG is in the planning again at Dave's:2tsup:

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 10:01 PM
A huge thanks to Dave and his parents :2tsup: for hosting the GTG and feeding us all (so well), to Ray for organising the event :2tsup:, and to Jim and Sharon for joining us from Melbourne :2tsup:.
And I'm sorry :C that I couldn't stay to hear out Jim and his demo; little Miss Madison needed her arvo nap.
The discussion (particularly tool related) was great, and I look forward to taking on board much that was discussed.

Thanks again and hope to catch you all again (maybe at the next one) :U

TT

A pleasure to have Miss Madison there maybe one day a woodie herself.

Sorry Mrs Thumb Trimmer couldn't make it, good to see you helped out by giving her a break hope she is over what ales her soon.

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2010, 10:20 PM
Seriously
Special thanks to Ian for picking up Jim and Sharon bring them out shame you had to run.

Special thanks to Sawdust Maker for the return journey

Jim I hope the two taxi services didn't scalp you to much for the journey's:U

He said he didn't have is credit card with him - so I threw them out at the pennant Hills Rd Turnoff :p

Seriously
Thanks to:

NZ for having all of us for the day. Sorry I was late but the lad had hockey trials and the blighter didn't make the squad :doh:

NZ's folks for organising the spread :2tsup:

Whellin for organising and Sue for putting up with Whellin :?

Powderpost for providing the excuse :2tsup:

Sorry I missed out on the segmenting discussion but the skew lessons were illuminating :C

For you melbournites - there was no ripple cake but we had lamingtons

I'm having trouble posting piccies
will try next post

<!--[endif]-->

hughie
29th August 2010, 10:23 PM
For the inaugural event it went very well. :2tsup:So well, its been suggested we have a Christmas bash at the same venue and perhaps one before that as well

An excellent host topped off by and even better lunch spread :yipee: with great company :U

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 10:30 PM
Whellin for organising and Sue for putting up with Whellin :? Nick now I has a name change is it just the excitement of what happens in 9 weeks and counting.

Powderpost for providing the excuse :2tsup:

Sorry I missed out on the segmenting discussion but the skew lessons were illuminating :C I have most of it on a thumb drive and with Hardenfast being first in you had no chance of seeing anything as did we. See Pic

For you melbournites - there was no ripple cake but we had lamingtons The cup cakes were a winner too

I'm having trouble posting piccies
will try next post

<!--[endif]-->

Waiting for the pics:q

nz_carver
29th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey boys thaks for a good day:2tsup:

YES mum sliped up to Sue and told her we have to have a GTG for xmass
so its at my place but Rays looking after the date and numbers with my help:2tsup:

my mate Matt is going to be over at 10am Monday as he wants to turn a Bolw
so I think we have him hooked:2tsup:

Ray dint tell you about the food he got for the drive home:q
Sue you might have to stick some air in his tyres:oo:

Sturdee
29th August 2010, 10:38 PM
By all accounts it sounds that you had a great day, good to see some photos to put to the names.

Peter.

wheelinround
29th August 2010, 10:39 PM
Hey boys thaks for a good day:2tsup:

YES mum sliped up to Sue and told her we have to have a GTG for xmass
so its at my place but Rays looking after the date and numbers with my help:2tsup:

my mate Matt is going to be over at 10am Monday as he wants to turn a Bolw
so I think we have him hooked:2tsup:

Ray dint tell you about the food he got for the drive home:q
Sue you might have to stick some air in his tyres:oo:

:U:U
Food what food they were empty containers what Sue brought along :q

Oh I am looking after the next GTG am I :o

Yes Mat is hooked or sure.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2010, 10:42 PM
I knew I was at the right place

We'd heard he was new at this game so we gave him a lend of our biggest lathe ...
145975 145976 145977

What's he talkin about?

This was an important point, not sure what it was as I was taking piccies :doh:
145979 145980

Wheelin showing how it's done

Someone said they needed their tools sharpened
and someone obliged

The boy at hockey trials (yeah he's nearly as tall as his mum)

It was great to meet Jim - nice chap and seems to know how to use the skew - could manage cutting threads easily :p equally nice to meet Sharon and had a nice yarn on the drive back into the city. For some reason she didn't want to sit in the booster seat in the back of the car ...

Sorry about the bit of huon pen but I should have warned you I tend to do that with huon - ie wreck it :((

ian
29th August 2010, 10:44 PM

Special thanks to Sawdust maker for the return journey

Jime I hope the two taxi services didn't scalp you to much for the journey's:Uwheelin'
not a problem
I got to spend almost an entire day with my nearly 89 y.o. dad, and play in his shed (dovetailing a small drawer) -- between making him lunch and cups of coffee, washing-up and making his bed.

I think I did reasonably well !!

thank you to Dave for volunteering his shed and kitchen

nz_carver
29th August 2010, 10:59 PM
pic 5 nick tthat was the line for lunch??

Sawdust Maker
29th August 2010, 11:05 PM
pic 5 nick tthat was the line for lunch??

Nah
I was late for lunch and so was the camera :o

RETIRED
29th August 2010, 11:08 PM
Well now.

4 months to organise but it looks like it might nearly rival a Melbourne Turnon.

Well done to all concerned.:2tsup:

I will be coming through Sydney from Proserpine in the first week of November if you have enough time to organise something.

Pat
30th August 2010, 05:11 AM
I will be coming through Sydney from Proserpine in the first week of November if you have enough time to organise something.

If I remember correctly, you got lost the last time:q

RETIRED
30th August 2010, 08:38 AM
Nah. Thought it was an afternoon do but it was lunch.:doh:

wheelinround
30th August 2010, 09:41 AM
:U Typical Victorians behind the times

Its may have taken 4 months to organise but it was the power peddlers up north FNQ who slowed things down getting smoke signals through. or was it Jim's hand cranked palmtop that was slow.:p

:no: No it was the Victorian trip they needed months of recovery after been snap frozen so they went back home to thaw.

Hey Nick what happened to all those photo's I took using your camera of Jim working hard while you were stuffing 3 plates of food down.:q

Hughie Inaugural my foot you missed the first one 2 months ago :roll: but it goes to prove we can improve as we go.:U

Ozceltic63
30th August 2010, 09:54 AM
It was a good day.
Wendy got a good spot to watch and reckons
she pickede up a few pointers for the skew.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to demo.

And thanks Dave and his family for hosting.

Cheers.

Liam n Wendy.

Ozkaban
30th August 2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a lovely day. Very sorry to have missed it.

I just realised all of this was happening (haven't been following the forums much lately...). My 5 week old has realised the power she has in my house and is completely unafraid of exercising said power. Not sure if I slept at all last night!

I was actually planning on turning my lathe on the other day to make some dowell for a clock I'm making. dead simple, but in my state I decided I would be safer to wait until I've had more than 3 hours sleep in any one stretch before playing :no:

Looking forward to getting back into it when little one turns 18 :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
30th August 2010, 02:12 PM
It was a good day.
Wendy got a good spot to watch and reckons
she pickede up a few pointers for the skew.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to demo.

And thanks Dave and his family for hosting.

Cheers.

Liam n Wendy.

:doh::B Here I was telling you to join the forum ok so I meant Wendy to join :;

turnerted
30th August 2010, 05:55 PM
G'day
I may be quiet but I'm a good listener .It was good to put faces to some of the names .
I just had a look through the photo collection and don't have photos of the items I bought on Sunday . I'll try and get some pictures taken tomorrow and post them . I made a new lid for the Iidded container today as I reckoned I could do better and I think it's an improvement so thats the one you'll see eventually . I've just got to put some finish on it .
Ted

wheelinround
30th August 2010, 06:06 PM
G'day
I may be quiet but I'm a good listener .It was good to put faces to some of the names .
I just had a look through the photo collection and don't have photos of the items I bought on Sunday . I'll try and get some pictures taken tomorrow and post them . I made a new lid for the Iidded container today as I reckoned I could do better and I think it's an improvement so thats the one you'll see eventually . I've just got to put some finish on it .
Ted

Hi Ted sorry I didn't get to see your work I did spot a beaut fluted bowl out the corner of my eye and some of your tools you were showing the outside crowd, so I'd love o see what I missed if possible. I did here you mention you use your hook tool you got from the Ornamental Turners :U.:2tsup:

bowl-basher
30th August 2010, 06:12 PM
:doh::B Here I was telling you to join the forum ok so I meant Wendy to join :;

:D:D you always were a sucker for a pretty face:D:D:D

wheelinround
30th August 2010, 07:11 PM
:D:D you always were a sucker for a pretty face:D:D:D

Without offending Liam and his good lady (Wendy) and it was good to see she was right in there watching Jim and taking notes. Competition for RR (Wendy) up in QLD.

I guess so even Jenny gave me a hug an kiss before she left, must be my charm n good looks.:U

Sawdust Maker
31st August 2010, 10:16 PM

Hey Nick what happened to all those photo's I took using your camera of Jim working hard while you were stuffing 3 plates of food down.:q

I'll have you know it was only one plate, ok with enough on it for two and a half normal servings, maybe three. I was hungry after sitting on my behind for two hours watching hockey trials. :doh:

I'll get your piccies up when I get a round tuit. do you want the whole photo or just what he was doing at the time - you cut his head off at least once :p

BTW, Round trip from my place to NZ's and back via Kent St, City was 103km :o

Pat
1st September 2010, 05:11 AM

Can of cement required!

(99.9K each way for me:q)

wheelinround
1st September 2010, 05:21 PM
I'll have you know it was only one plate, ok with enough on it for two and a half normal servings, maybe three. I was hungry after sitting on my behind for two hours watching hockey trials. :doh: :rolleyes: Doen't you have an office job sitting all day ??

I'll get your piccies up when I get a round tuit. do you want the whole photo or just what he was doing at the time - you cut his head off at least once :p Maybe yes I was aiming at what he was doing and he stood up after all he is 6ft+

Poor baby as Pat.

powderpost
1st September 2010, 10:37 PM
Well now, where to start. We got home about 12.30 this afternoon, the lawn was dead with leaves all over the place, it appears we took the rain south with us. But, it is nice and warm here.. :D. The week in Adelaide was excellent.. nice town.. :wink:. Michael (coffenup) was generous with his time and chauffeured Sharon and I around Adelaide and even found a trash and treasure market for the Sharon. I have to say, Thanks Mike, that was a master stroke, it payed off handsomely :wink:. We spent an afternoon with Tim the Timber Turner. Until I read his post I was under the impression that he was a gentleman. Now I have seen visual evidence of how he recalls events, I am not sure... :D. Thanks Tim for the time you gave us and the tour of the Hills.
We hit Sydney Saturday afternoon and contacted Ian. Ian very generously picked up Sharon and I and tool us out to Dave's place. Thanks Ian for that and for the tourist information. It was excellent to meet forumites and put faces and bodies to the names. So many questions and so little time. It was my pleasure to share information and experiences with you all. Next time I will bring my own timber and tools. :D
To Ray, thanks for taking the trouble to organise the activity, it was a high light of our trip.
To Dave, his father and mother, a big thank you from Sharon and I. To the forumites that took the time and trouble to come along, thanks, I enjoyed your company.
Nick, thanks for taking us back to the Hotel.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
1st September 2010, 11:50 PM
Jim

It was a pleasure to meet you and Sharon
and thanks for the tips on how to make catches with the skew, I'll put them to good use

I enjoyed the drive back to the city and at the end of the day I'm mighty pleased I got you back to the right motel :p

Next time you're down this way I'll play tourist director if you like - I should have a little free time by then

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2010, 12:49 AM
... it appears we took the rain south with us. ...
You must have dropped it at our end of the tablelands, we have had almost 3 inches since Friday arvo.

turnerted
2nd September 2010, 06:31 PM
G'day
Here are some pictures of the items I took along on sunday as requested .
The vase red cedar 310mm high ,disc 200mm and about 28 mm at the thickest point . neck and base were ebonised .The latice bowl is 290 mmX 80mm The timber is chinese tallowtree .The lidded box is rosewood and ash .130mm diamx80mm high plus finial All are finished with DO except for the lid on the box which was sprayed with satin estapol .
Ted

wheelinround
2nd September 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks Ted I did see them on the table but didn't get a close look all excellent works :2tsup:

My ears did prick up when I heard the talk of the OTGA goose neck hollowing tool its a ripper. Have you made any alternative tips for it??

wheelinround
2nd September 2010, 10:02 PM
Well now.

4 months to organise but it looks like it might nearly rival a Melbourne Turnon.

Well done to all concerned.:2tsup:

I can't organise it to busy and depending on when I may not even be able to attend, H&F's 3 day Open days. You could always come get a bargain.

powderpost
2nd September 2010, 10:19 PM
Ray, don't take the bait.... he is looking for some one to cook a steak for him. :)
Jim

wheelinround
2nd September 2010, 10:21 PM
Ray, don't take the bait.... he is looking for some one to cook a steak for him. :)
Jim

Steak sorry only healthy food served here just ask Jim :U

turnerted
3rd September 2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the nice comments .Here's a photo I forgot to post yesterday . It shows the detail on the lid of the box much better .
Ted

wheelinround
3rd September 2010, 09:18 PM
:2tsup:

Hardenfast
3rd September 2010, 09:33 PM
Many thanks to all who contributed to making the day so interesting. Particular kudos of course to Dave & family for hosting the event and also to my friend Ray for keeping me (everyone?) in the loop in the weeks/days leading up to Sunday.

Great to meet with segmenting maestro Jim. My humble first attempts at segmented bowls didn't seem to send him into paroxysms of laughter, so maybe there's some hope for the future - or maybe he was just being nice. :-

In any case his works and methodolgies are certainly inspiring, as is his willingness to share his knowledge and thoughts. Must be an old chippy/TAFE teacher thing. I certainly found it well worth the trip to the 'burbs to meet with everyone. Nice lunch also - again, many thanks all.

Turner Ted, I'm going to have a go at one of those grooved bowls - fantastic piece! Just need to develop a router/trimmer on a plunge mechanism thingy. Where do you get those - without having to make one?

Wayne :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd September 2010, 11:15 PM
Many thanks to all who contributed to making the day so interesting. Particular kudos of course to Dave & family for hosting the event and also to my friend Ray for keeping me (everyone?) in the loop in the weeks/days leading up to Sunday.

Great to meet with segmenting maestro Jim. My humble first attempts at segmented bowls didn't seem to send him into paroxysms of laughter, so maybe there's some hope for the future - or maybe he was just being nice. :-

In any case his works and methodolgies are certainly inspiring, as is his willingness to share his knowledge and thoughts. Must be an old chippy/TAFE teacher thing. I certainly found it well worth the trip to the 'burbs to meet with everyone. Nice lunch also - again, many thanks all.

Turner Ted, I'm going to have a go at one of those grooved bowls - fantastic piece! Just need to develop a router/trimmer on a plunge mechanism thingy. Where do you get those - without having to make one?

Wayne :2tsup:

:o I got friends :p Thanks Wayne will pass on to Sue you enjoyed her salads as well as Daves.

I agree never thought two teachers could be such nice blokes :;

Where do you get those - without having to make one?

:rolleyes: lets see which turning group makes there own tools, jigs, etc:U

turnerted
4th September 2010, 05:41 PM
Wayne
I don't know of anywhere you could buy a router jig like mine but it's not hard to make your own . I can supply some pictures if it would help .
Ted

wheelinround
5th September 2010, 10:25 AM
There is a manufactured one from the UK I'll try find the link in my bookmarks.

Pat
6th September 2010, 12:05 AM
Or from what Ray's intimating . . . the ornamental mob might have one for a few dollars . . . much like the one in my shed . . .

ian
6th September 2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Jim and Sharon
I was hoping to post this a bit sooner

It was my pleasure to meet you and Sharon and take you out to Rooty Hill.
I didn't bother measuring the distance or counting the cost in tolls (as others have) -- if you live in my part of Sydney distance and tolls are a fact of life.

I'm happy you both enjoyed your time in Sydney and your walk through the Gardens and over the bridge. I'm also glad that the weather behaved.
It's a shame you missed the Kauri Project exhibition in the Lions Gate Lodge, but here are some photos for you -- along with some of the flowers that went on display in David Jones as you bordered the flight home

RETIRED
6th September 2010, 09:02 AM
Jim:D:wink:

wheelinround
6th September 2010, 10:26 AM
Here's the link to the gear manufactured OS its German or Swedishhttp://www.lignolathe.com/en/ornamental_sphere_turner/index.htm Site is in English

Sawdust Maker
6th September 2010, 10:48 PM
Enzo of Vermec has a router holder here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/routerholder.pdf)which I think he suggests you use his table here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/camlocktable.pdf)

I didn't bother measuring the distance or counting the cost in tolls (as others have) -- if you live in my part of Sydney distance and tolls are a fact of life.

Only mentioned distance because I happened to fill up with petrol before I left and set the odometer to zero and after dropping off Jim and Sharon stopped down to road from the servo to pick up pizza for the family and noticed the km - don't remember mentioning tolls.

Sturdee
6th September 2010, 11:31 PM
Enzo of Vermec has a router holder here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/routerholder.pdf)which I think he suggests you use his table here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/camlocktable.pdf)

I made them myself out of workshop scraps costing nothing, only took a day to do them.

Peter.

ian
7th September 2010, 02:09 AM
Sorry Nick if you thought I was "having a go"
I was more responding to an earlier tongue in cheek comment (from Ray if I recall correctly) about Rooty Hill being west of Pennant Hills Rd

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2010, 09:37 AM
Sorry Nick if you thought I was "having a go"
I was more responding to an earlier tongue in cheek comment (from Ray if I recall correctly) about Rooty Hill being west of Pennant Hills Rd
wasn't sure but no probs

Rooty Hill is about as far west as North Sydney is east of P Hills Rd :p

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2010, 09:41 AM
I made them myself out of workshop scraps costing nothing, only took a day to do them.

Peter.

Now you have to show us a piccy:photo2:

wheelinround
7th September 2010, 09:58 AM
wasn't sure but no probs

Rooty Hill is about as far west as North Sydney is east of P Hills Rd :p

Hey Nick don't forget not long before the GtG you packed an overnight bag and made it all the way to Mulgrave.(Windsor)........and even spent money.:q

One day you might make it over the hill.

:rolleyes: Looks up at age and see he already is :U

munruben
7th September 2010, 01:52 PM
Up now damn didn't load first go even though all went through ok :~

Great to see the pics of the big day Ray but tell me, doesn't anyone smile in pictures down in Sydney? . If the guys were enjoying themselves, and I'm sure they were, might have been a good idea to let their faces know:q. :) You, of course were the exception Ray, nice big smiles mate. Just joking, Looks like it was a nice event all round.:2tsup:

wheelinround
7th September 2010, 06:51 PM
Great to see the pics of the big day Ray but tell me, doesn't anyone smile in pictures down in Sydney? . If the guys were enjoying themselves, and I'm sure they were, might have been a good idea to let their faces know:q. :) You, of course were the exception Ray, nice big smiles mate. Just joking, Looks like it was a nice event all round.:2tsup:

Reason for not smiling is we didn't get to see powderpost perform amazing cuts and glue ups and wave his wand and produce a segmented article.

Instead we saw a pro turner cursing a bit of Osage Orange that put a smile on faces meant we weren't alone in doing such.

Sturdee
7th September 2010, 10:44 PM
Now you have to show us a piccy:photo2:

Currently working on making sacrificial faces for the bowl chuck so I will have an easily fitting semi permanent jam chuck.

When finished I'll post a few pics of the jigs and tools I've made for the lathe.

Peter.