PDA

View Full Version : Waney edge

John Saxton
7th July 2000, 01:34 AM
Given that a waney edge may either add or detract from a penultimate finish to ones pride and joy and of course what a person might derive as a comfortable and optimum completion to a well defined piece of woodturning, Is there out there amongst the woodturning fraternity a sense of proportion to the amount that should perhaps be left as true or residual bark in the finish of the piece in relation to the size or do most feel that it is up to the individuals taste in perspective.
I have been turning for a number of years but not with finishing with a waney edge so would appreciate any input from you folk out there.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Mal
8th July 2000, 01:13 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

RETIRED
8th July 2000, 02:48 AM
Gooday.

John, it is hard to define as to how much bark you leave on a piece. I guess that it boils down to personal preference and sometimes what looks "right". I notice that most who do this work generally leave only a little.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

JackoH
9th July 2000, 11:01 AM
Beg, borrow or steal acopy of "Turned Bowl Design" by Richard Raffan. He has quite a few examples in there.Regards. John H.

MJ
9th July 2000, 10:03 PM
I'm with Mal!. But doesn't penultimate mean "second last"?

sunshine
27th July 2000, 08:57 AM
Well, here I am in sunny Southern California, about to take my first woodturning class and I want to be really prepared (you know, talk the lingo), so..... what in the heck is a waney (or Wayney) edge??????

Thanks, Phyllis

RETIRED
27th July 2000, 03:44 PM
Gooday.

A wane or waney edge is an edge that still has the bark on or is "au naturale" without bark. It is usually associated with slabs of timber i.e bark to bark or wane edge.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ian () Robertson

JackoH
27th July 2000, 05:17 PM
Onya . Someone had to inject a bit of sense into this topic.

John H.

RFNK
27th July 2000, 09:25 PM
I thought a waney edge referred to the edge of any board being thinner than the other edge, including, of course, natural edges as above.

sunshine
28th July 2000, 06:23 AM
From reading this BB, I can only assume that is the expert on ANYTHING, so I will have to go with his explanation on waney edge......thanks ...

No offense, RFNK....

And John, give me the credit.... I asked the question!!

Regards, Phyllis

RETIRED
28th July 2000, 08:30 AM
Gooday.

Sunshine, I am not an expert on anything, I just know where to look http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

"When a board has one edge with bark on it or the brown edge beneath the bark, it is called waney-edged. In a few cases this edge may be used as a decorative feature, but normally the faulty edge has to be sawn off."

pp24, The Home Woodworker by Julian Worthington.

"The outside of a log is no use for general woodwork. Usually, the bark and the cambium layer under it should have been removed, but for decorative outside woodwork these outer layers may be retained giving a board with a waney edge."
pp10-11, Practical Carpentry by Percy Blandford.

Rick, I have never heard waney or wane applied to timber to mean other than that above.BUT I have been wrong before.

------------------
Ian () Robertson

John Saxton
28th July 2000, 02:33 PM
Thanks ,especially for your enlightening input.The question came up because I see so little of a Waney edge employed in this medium,and amongst the local fraternity.You are entirely correct in your description for example there are a lot of crafts people that are leaving a waney-edge on dining and coffee tables these days and it dose'nt detract from the intended appearance.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 28 July 2000).]