PDA

View Full Version : A question for LN owners

craigb
19th September 2004, 05:50 PM
Just a question to the Lie Nielson owners on the board, especially those that own more than one.

If you could only own one LN plane, which one would you choose and why?

The reason I ask is that I have a "landmark" birthday coming up soon and the better half wants to get me a special present.

So am thinking of possibly requesting a LN.

I already own a 1950's Stanley #4 , a modern Stanley #5, a modern Stanley adjustable mouth block plane and a selection of MujingFangs.

Oh, and a Gordon shoulder plane.

Yours in anticipation
Craig

Driver
19th September 2004, 08:16 PM
Craig

I had exactly this dilemma in July. My wife and kids wanted me to choose a birthday present and suggested that there might be a special tool I would like.

Because I have a reasonable collection of planes (Stanley, Record and Mujingfang) I decided to go for a Lie-Nielsen. I wanted to fill a gap in the range and I had read a couple of interesting reviews of the LN Low-Angle jack - as well as an interesting discussion here on the merits of the two LN Low-Angle planes for cutting tricky grain as well as end grain. Anyway - that's the one I went for: the Low-Angle jack plane aka the #62 .

No regrets! It's a superb tool. It'll slice through anything. It cuts full length end grain shavings. It's the ideal plane for use with a shooting board. It cuts curly-grain jarrah with no tear-out.

The only problem I've had with it (and this is a really minor issue, not a criticism) is that I've had to alter the way I hold the plane. I have a habit with my other iron planes of placing my right index finger along the side of the blade: pointing forward in the direction of travel. I can't do this with the #62 because the blade doesn't project up towards the rear tote. At first this made me slightly uncomfortable but I've now become used to it and it's no longer a problem.

Get the Low-Angle jack! It's a ripper.

(Happy Birthday!)

Col

craigb
19th September 2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks Col,

I have to say that a low angle Jack did look like a pretty good idea.
I had a bit of a play with Mr W Borer's and I must say I was amazed at how it tamed a knot in a piece of radiata. Made it feel like glass.

I just hope I'm talking about the right plane as WB a pretty impressive collection and I may have been confusing it with another of his LN's.

Ta for the reply - and BD wishes (it's a month away yet though). :)

Craig

Caliban
19th September 2004, 10:19 PM
Craig
At the Sydney WWW show Silent C and I watched the bloke from Mik using that Lie Neilson low angle jack and I was very, very impressed. Even more impresseder than I am with my muji smoother. (and that's really high praise ;) )
I really don't think you'll regret it. Unless of course you want to earn millions of brownie points by suggesting that you and SWMBO spend your birthday in some romantic spot of her choosing instead. Would you get two LNs as a reward, or would it just be a missed opportunity? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'll just go and sit in the corner for that stupid suggestion.

craigb
19th September 2004, 10:28 PM
Craig
Unless of course you want to earn millions of brownie points by suggesting that you and SWMBO spend your birthday in some romantic spot of her choosing instead.

Jim,

If I suggested that she'd just think I was ill. :eek: :D

Craig

derekcohen
20th September 2004, 03:21 AM
Craig

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons - athough I do support the idea of a LA Jack - what about a backsaw from LN? I have the LN Independence dovetail saw. Superb. Ask Col what he thinks of his Adria (not much difference between them in quality or use). And don't dismiss the idea of another block plane. The LN adjustable low angle in bronze (a turbo version of the Stanley 60-1/2) has about as much in common with your Stanley block plane as night has to day.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wood Borer
20th September 2004, 09:18 AM
Craig,

The Low Angle you used at my place was a 164 Low Angle Smoothing Plane.

That was my first LN plane and I use it regularly along with the others. The LN No 7 also gets a work out and is great if you are regularly joining long boards.

The saws are good also, I think you tried my dovetail saw and the tenon saw.

All the LN tools are great, I have no regrets about buying any of mine.

Happy 21st anyway! :D

craigb
20th September 2004, 10:03 AM
Craig,

Happy 21st anyway! :D

I wish! :D I'm not even 21 in hexadecimal :(

Wood Borer
20th September 2004, 11:13 AM
Happy $32nd when it happens :D

craigb
20th September 2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks mate. It sounds a lot better in hex. :D

Zed
20th September 2004, 12:56 PM
get a couple of cliftons, half the price, same value, get two... ???

outback
20th September 2004, 01:58 PM
Woodborer, do you buy your LN's direct from LN, or via a reseller?
No doubt they are a quality piece of gear, close as I've got to one so far is drooling on them at the wood show. :o
Oh well maybe one day. :)

Wood Borer
20th September 2004, 03:16 PM
Outback,

I buy mine through MIK in Adelaide. They are reasonably priced, delivered within a couple of days and they offer excellent advice.

No doubt people will write to say I could get them cheaper importing them directly but I am extremely happy with MIK and continue to give them my business.

I will get one or two more at the Melbourne show after SWMBO allocates my TWW budget.

When you're in Melbourne next, drop around and have a play with them.

outback
20th September 2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the input WB, and I'll take you up on your invitation next time I'm south of the border. :)

ryanarcher
20th September 2004, 06:01 PM
Craig,
I own 5 LN planes and love them all. if you happen to do any timberframing or large joinery though I highly recomend the #10 1/4 bench rabbet plane. I reach for it more than I ever thought I would.
I may endure some criticism here, but in my humble opinion, you can get a veritas low angle jack that works just as well for half (o.k. 3/4) the price, but a carrige makers plane can only be had from LN. my set of side rabbet planes also see tons of use.

lucky You!

p.s. will you post a picture and review of whichever one you get?
happy birthday!

derekcohen
20th September 2004, 08:46 PM
you can get a veritas low angle jack that works just as well for half (o.k. 3/4) the price

That is true (and within the price you could afford the high angle blade as well). But emotion is a terrible thing when making decisions like this. It's a pressie - buy the one your heart wants.

Happy 109th!

Regards from Perth

Derek

craigb
21st September 2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

It's interesting that you mention the Veritas because I was thinking along those lines as well.
From what I've read I can't see that there is a huge difference between the two, other than price of course :rolleyes: .

O.k. the Veritas doesn't have a bronze cap iron or LN name, but their tools have an excellent reputation and I'd be surprised if their 62 1/2 is any different.

After all $500 for a prezzie? I duuno if I'm THAT special :p

Ryan, I will post a picccy but I have to get a digital camera first.

We are going on hols soon so one has already been budgeted for. :)

Cheers
Craig

outback
21st September 2004, 12:49 PM
I can see this is causing a dilemma for you, so what I propose is..... get both.

After you try them both and picked your favourite, send the second rate one to me. I'll be happy to "dispose" of it on your behalf.

As far as I can see this is the only way to guarantee your future happiness and harmonious matrimony.

GregLee
21st September 2004, 01:04 PM
Hi Craig,

I bought the Veritas Low Angle Jack plane a few months ago. I couldn't be happier with the decision. Whilst, it's not an LN. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference when using them. I bought the Veritas because I wanted the best plane I could afford within the limited budget of an enthusiast not a professional.

However, if LN is where the heart is set. Don't let me sway you. I'm sure you would be a happy customer with the LN. I too was mesmerised by the LN low angle smoother demo at the MIK stand at the wood show.

craigb
21st September 2004, 01:19 PM
I can see this is causing a dilemma for you, so what I propose is..... get both.

After you try them both and picked your favourite, send the second rate one to me. I'll be happy to "dispose" of it on your behalf.

As far as I can see this is the only way to guarantee your future happiness and harmonious matrimony.

Outback,

There's no harm in trying :D

Craig

craigb
21st September 2004, 01:21 PM
Hi Craig,

I bought the Veritas Low Angle Jack plane a few months ago. I couldn't be happier with the decision. Whilst, it's not an LN. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference when using them. I bought the Veritas because I wanted the best plane I could afford within the limited budget of an enthusiast not a professional.

However, if LN is where the heart is set. Don't let me sway you. I'm sure you would be a happy customer with the LN. I too was mesmerised by the LN low angle smoother demo at the MIK stand at the wood show.

Greg,

Did you get yours from MIK or Carbatec or did you buy from LV?

Craig

Wood Borer
21st September 2004, 02:24 PM
This is really stating the obvious but there are several factors involved in hand planing, which include:

Skill level of operator

Sharpness of the blade and angle of the grind

Geometry of the plane (low angle, York angle)

Size and purpose of the plane (block plane, rebate plane, mitre plane etc)

Setup of the plane (cap iron, mouth etc)

How the blade is held in the plane (supported here and there or well supported)

When you purchase a plane, other factors enter the equation such as price, manufacturer, if the plane is a collectors item etc, ergonomics, aesthetics, colour, shining parts etc.

I have what I think are good planes (LN’s) and most people who drop in and have a play with them are impressed. I suggest the reasons my planes work fairly well is because of bits and pieces of all of the above. I don’t think there is one sole (pun not intended) contributing factor.

So to compare a Veritas with an LN is most likely going to come down to personal taste, affordability etc. If the performance is remarkably different then I suggest you sharpen the blade, adjust the mouth, stop planing against the grain etc.

craigb
21st September 2004, 03:23 PM
Wood Borer,

All of what you say is true.

And once again, we've managed to drift off topic. :rolleyes:

My original question was "If you could only own one LN plane which one would it be and why?"
The answers to the thread have been good, and for me useful, but with the possible exception of Driver, nobody's answered the question. :D :D

Craig

Wood Borer
21st September 2004, 03:31 PM
My LN No5 gets a bit of work but you already have a No5

The Low Angle Smoother also gets a bit of work - it can be used on tricky grains, end grain, has a an adjustable mouth, thick blade ....

For a good all rounder with spectacular performance go for the Low Angle Smoother.

derekcohen
21st September 2004, 03:35 PM
"If you could only own one LN plane which one would it be and why?"

OK. One plane. One LN plane. Simple.

Think LA Smoother.

Get two extra blades with it. Sharpen up two so that one has a bevel of 33 degrees, and another has a bevel of 48 degrees.

This will give you a plane that can cut end grain (low angle, 37 degrees), straight grained or soft woods (45 degrees), and gnarly or hard woods (60 degrees).

I plan to do this but with the LV LA smoother, to go with the LV LA Jack I am trialing.

With the adjustable mouth, this plane would be the most versatile you could ever own! ......Or the LA Jack .... LA smoother ...... LA Jack ......

Regards from Perth

Derek

craigb
21st September 2004, 03:38 PM
My LN No5 gets a bit of work but you already have a No5

Yes and mate it's a piece of crap.

I put a straight edge on the sole, checked the amount of light shining underneath the edge, guessed how much time I would have to spend planing a piece of sandpaper and said to myself, "self, life's too short. Go and buy a decent tool :D "

It cost me $130 as well :(

Craig

Wood Borer
21st September 2004, 03:57 PM
Get both - goodness your birthday has a 5 in it and you want to work tricky grained timber.

outback
21st September 2004, 05:12 PM
OK. One plane. One LN plane. Simple.

Think LA Smoother.

Get two extra blades with it. Sharpen up two so that one has a bevel of 33 degrees, and another has a bevel of 48 degrees.

This will give you a plane that can cut end grain (low angle, 37 degrees), straight grained or soft woods (45 degrees), and gnarly or hard woods (60 degrees).

I plan to do this but with the LV LA smoother, to go with the LV LA Jack I am trialing.

With the adjustable mouth, this plane would be the most versatile you could ever own! ......Or the LA Jack .... LA smoother ...... LA Jack ......

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting thoughts on three blades, i think I'll store that one away safely to be brought out some day whaen I own one. But which one?
You seem to lean towards the LA smoother, If you were going for versatlity, I think the Jack would be better.

Please forgive me for speaking out of turn Lord Vader, I'm just a simpleton trying to learn the ways. :D

derekcohen
21st September 2004, 05:29 PM
You have my forgiveness, my child ....

Outback

Really, one plane only ... it really comes down to what gap you want to fill.

The LV LA Jack is a superb allrounder, but it may become fatiguing to use as a smoother. It makes a fine large smoother or small try plane.

The LV LA Smoother is something I have only used once (one is on order), but it is much lighter and fills in the gap of the ultimate, wide range smoother. Still great for a shooting board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

craigb
21st September 2004, 09:07 PM
Just to clarify my ask. I am only ever going to (possibily) be in a postion to own ONE LN plane, and that's the reason for my question.

It's not possible to only have one plane in your toolkit, anymore than it's possible to expect to have one saw do everything.

I may be able to have one "heirloom" plane and I'm just interested in getting the best bang for my/my wifes buck, because at the end of the day, although it's her present to me, the money all comes out of the same account. :)

Craig

derekcohen
21st September 2004, 09:36 PM
one "heirloom" plane

Craig

Then I'd get a smoother. Consider the bigger planes the workhorses of the workshop. The scrub, the jointer, the jack - they are all alligned more with the "graft" side of construction. Yes, I know some that use a #6 for smoothing, but it is hard work. And the LV or LN LA Jack really fits into this category. But there is something more mystic, more reverant - and definitely more emotionally involving - when you do the final smoothing and the grain is uncovered and the timber begins to gleam.

Get a smoother. My vote goes to either the LN or LV LA Smoother. Why a LA plane and not a standard bench plane (such as a #4). Because I think the LA planes are more flexible, and you will this one more often (which will make you feel special more often). Plus I think the design of bevel up planes is inherently better than bevel down planes. Lots more potential.

I think for the price of the LN you could get the LV and an extra blade (keep one for low angle and one for high angle). Or just get the LN with the bronze cap you so like (and buy the extra blade later).

Regards from Perth

Derek

craigb
21st September 2004, 10:04 PM
Derek,

Thanks for your as usual, considered and genorous reply :)
I've taken it on board.

Might I be as bold as to suggest the image of Darth Derek doesn't suit you?

Why? Because the character of Darth Vader is a remote and forbidding one. Something that you have proved yourself time and again to be the opposite of.

So perhaps, if we must use a Star Wars analogy, you should be Luke or that wise muppet yuda or yoga or whatever :D

Cheers
Craig

(who privately thinks that the starwars movies are up there among the ten biggest stinkers of all time. :D )

Driver
21st September 2004, 10:57 PM
Might I be as bold as to suggest the image of Darth Derek doesn't suit you?

Why? Because the character of Darth Vader is a remote and forbidding one. Something that you have proved yourself time and again to be the opposite of.

So perhaps, if we must use a Star Wars analogy, you should be Luke or that wise muppet yuda or yoga or whatever :D

Craig's right, Derek. Although the Darth Cohen handle is pretty good, I have to say the Darth Vader image is all wrong.

Yoda's not right either (neither is Mel Brook's classic send-up: the character Yogurt in Spaceballs). Maybe you should try Obi Wan Kenobi (Obi Wan C'hohen?) Of course, you could always try LeClair!

derekcohen
22nd September 2004, 03:07 AM
Craig and Col

I have changed my avatar to one that is probably more representative in my opinion (a fine Norris plane). But don't relax too much. I'm sure Darth Derek will arise every now and then!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Driver
22nd September 2004, 11:15 PM
Derek

I still think you're doing yourself a disservice. That's a very nice Norris plane but why don't you use a photo of your own smoothing plane as your avatar? Just a suggestion! :)

Col

derekcohen
23rd September 2004, 04:10 AM
OK. How does this one look? Prefer the Norris?

Regards

Derek

Driver
23rd September 2004, 11:26 AM
OK. How does this one look? Prefer the Norris?

Regards

Derek

Looks good to me! :)

Termite
23rd September 2004, 01:30 PM
OK. How does this one look?

It looks terrible, you'd better send it over to me so we can see if a change of coast will improve its looks. Mind you it could take a few years to acclimatise. :D :D

Wood Borer
23rd September 2004, 01:45 PM
Is that your plane Derek?

It looks like a nice tool.

Dick Rochester
24th September 2004, 12:56 PM
The low angle adjustable mouth block plane should be first.
The 4.5 second.
Shoulder plane third (if you do mortise & tenons or rabbits) (I like the Lee Valley version, It's cheaper, too.
A smoother third.
The 5.5 fifth.
#7 sisth.
Chisel plane 7'th.
Boggs spokeshave w/ rounded bottem, 8'th.

Of course, this order is highly controversial -- everybody has a differernt opinion.

A very experienced friend of mine says only get a low angle adjustable mouth block plane and a #5.5. Your power machinery eliminates the need for anything else.

A good set of chisels is also a must. I love my Lie-Nielson's!

BTW, I have a Steve Knight coffin smoother that is than half the price of a Lie-Nileson but 95% of the performance. Plus the feel of wood on wood is just better.

derekcohen
24th September 2004, 04:57 PM
[/QUOTE]Is that your plane Derek?[QUOTE]

Hi Rob

Yes, that's the infill I buiilt from a Stanley #4 shell. Uses Jarrah infill, brass lever cap, LN blade and Mathieson chip breaker set at 55 degrees. Mouth is 0.02 mm wide. I use it as smoother for really gnarly timber. It does better here than any other plane I have ever used. Will cut with or against the grain. But it cuts too slowly for more general use.

Here's a bigger picture..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wood Borer
24th September 2004, 05:26 PM
Very very nice Derek.

I love the local personal touch.

I am preparing my shopping list for the Melbourne Show.

My tool cupboard is starting to get cluttered so I will have to reorganise it soon. The noisy dusty doorstops might get an eviction notice out of the cupboard.

mat
15th June 2005, 04:45 PM
So what did you end up getting?

craigb
15th June 2005, 04:50 PM
A Lie-Nielson LA smoother. :)

Very nice it is too.

zenwood
15th June 2005, 05:35 PM
Graigb,

This looks like a good topic for a poll...?

What a decision! Bet you won't stop at just one.

I have a few LNs. I think the one I most often use is the little bronze 102 low angle block plane. Add little chamfers, smooth small boxes, clean up end grain: it's a gem.

The second-most used would probably be the 60-1/2 Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane. Slightly bigger than the 102, the adjustable mouth means you can take gossamer shavings and leave a shimmering surface behind. I once went to a one-day course on planes given by Garret Hack (who wrote 'The Handplane Book', and contributes to 'Fine Woodworking'). Garret has the LN 60-1/2 and says it's better than the $2000 version (norris?) that he also owns.

Other favourites of mine are the #62 low angle jack. Again, the adjustable mouth means you can use it the thickness stock aggressively, then close up the mouth and go to gossamer mode for final polishing. It's also very useful for shooting, being a good size for endgrain and edge grain shooting. And the low-angle non-frog means you can grab the front knob with your right hand and use your right forearm to hold the rest of the plane against the workpiece when shooting.

The bronze body #4: I have set mine up with a very fine mouth and use it for final polishing.

The #7 jointer is excellent for flattening surfaces, and for straightening edges prior to edge glue-ups.

The large shoulder plane is very useful for cleaning up rebates, and other jobs where you have to get right into the corner.

I have other LN planes but don't use them anywhere near as ofter as the ones mentioned.

One plane I would like to have is the #9 mitre plane, for superlative shooting.

Someone mentioned the dovetail saw as another option: an excellent idea. I use mine all the time, for dovetails, as well as housing joints, small tenons, etc.

So, which to buy? Depends. If I were you, I'd probably go for the #62 low angle jack. Or maybe the 102; no, get the 60-1/2, oh, I just can't decide...:)

craigb
15th June 2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks Zenwood.

It's a done deal however and has been since last October. :)

I ended up going for the LA smoother simply because tha'ts the one I thought that I'd use the most.

It's a very nice tool. I like it a lot. As for buying more LN planes, well who knows anything's possible.

I just bought the Lee Valley low angle block plane. This is another very nice tool and a bit cheaper than the LN too.

My next LN purchase though will probably be a set of their chisels.

Cheers
Craig :)

PS. You should get to know Wood Borer. He has a pretty good collection of LN planes too. ;)

sinjin1111
15th June 2005, 08:38 PM
Hello Ryanarcher, i keep looking at the same plane. I ahve the Record and like you it surprises me just how i use it. i just think the same plane really well made might be nice to own.
Sinjin

zenwood
15th June 2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks Zenwood.

It's a done deal however and has been since last October. :)

Oops. I guess it pays to look at the dates of some of these posts. :o

I ended up going for the LA smoother simply because tha'ts the one I thought that I'd use the most.

excellent choice :)

I just bought the Lee Valley low angle block plane. This is another very nice tool and a bit cheaper than the LN too.

I've got one of those, to which I have attached the big wooden knobs on the front and back. It works well as a mini smoothing plane (#2 size?).

My next LN purchase though will probably be a set of their chisels.

let us know how you go with them. I've got a set of marples that I'm very happy with.

PS. You should get to know Wood Borer. He has a pretty good collection of LN planes too. ;)
thx for the tip:)

ryanarcher
16th June 2005, 06:32 AM
Hello Ryanarcher, i keep looking at the same plane. I ahve the Record and like you it surprises me just how i use it. i just think the same plane really well made might be nice to own.
Sinjin

It sure is a gem. especially if you do any big joinery. Wood Borer has one too, and we both love them. i know it's expensive, but you only live once ;) .
-Ryan

pelorus32
16th June 2005, 02:21 PM
While we are on the subject of beautiful objects...

I'd appreciate views on No 7 Jointers: What do people think about the LN7 1/2 LA jointer compared with the LN7 normal jointer.

I take Derek's point about LA planes being very versatile - I've got a LA Smoother and LA Jack and I love them both and keep two blades for each - the LN7 1/2 has a non-adjustable mouth though. How does this affect performance when used for jointing cf an adjustable mouth No 7?

Also an important point is the price from LN in the States: 7 1/2 is $295USD vs the 7 at $400USD.

What do people think?

Thanks

Mike

zenwood
16th June 2005, 03:02 PM
I'd appreciate views on No 7 Jointers: What do people think about the LN7 1/2 LA jointer compared with the LN7 normal jointer.
I'm very, very happy with my LN7.

I haven't seen a LN7-1/2, but I would think the lack of mouth adjustment would be a pain: allowing tearout in situations that, if you had a LN7, you could close up the mouth and leave behind a mirror surface. With the LN62 LA jack, you get the mouth adjustment: what they should've done is make a jointer-sized version of the 62. But then it would've cost US$450, and you'd have more of a dilemma.

Also an important point is the price from LN in the States: 7 1/2 is $295USD vs the 7 at $400USD.
I think the extra US$105 is money well spent.

derekcohen
16th June 2005, 03:26 PM
what they should've done is make a jointer-sized version of the 62

Just a note to say that LV have done just this very thing. Prototypes will be cast very shortly. I should be able to provide my impressions of one in about a month with luck.

Regards from Perth

Derek

TassieKiwi
16th June 2005, 04:39 PM
:cool:

Wood Borer
17th June 2005, 09:28 AM
It sure is a gem. especially if you do any big joinery. Wood Borer has one too, and we both love them. i know it's expensive, but you only live once ;) .
-Ryan

I agree with Ryan, the carriage makers plane is a nice plane. Stanley made them but LN made their's in a bedrock. Not all of the Stanley carriage planes had the side nickers.

Expensive? It depends on your priorities. I don't gamble but recently a regular gambler aquaintance commented negatively on the money I spend on woodwork tools. It turns out he spends more on gambling!!!!! ;)

The only thing he manages to retain from his past expenses is the sour look on his face after losing whereas I get to use and keep my tools. After that explanation, the sour look became more sour. :confused:

sinjin1111
20th June 2005, 10:31 AM
Ryanarcher, just wondering as you have a few LN planes..do you have a number 5 or 5 1/2 or number six and can you give me a few clues as to why you chose what you did buy.

I have a number 4 stanely which i almost never use. A number 5 record which is my standard hand plane. And a couple of number 8's which i use for straightening boards. And the usual rebate planes, block planes etc. About 10 i think. I just bought the LV LA jack, block plane and scraper and they just so nice to use its not funny. So thinking of getting a nice..real nice even..5-6. So Waddareckon?
Sinjin

Wood Borer
20th June 2005, 11:48 AM
Sinjin,

I have an LN No 5 which works very nicely. It is the only No5 I have but it is a great size for making boxes and drawers.

Of course every plane is a great size for some application or another.

sinjin1111
20th June 2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Borer, by chance did you have a look at the LV as well? And any real reason why you went for the LN over the LV.
Sinjin

Wood Borer
20th June 2005, 01:48 PM
Sinjin,

No I didn't look at the LV, I have other LN's and I have been extremely pleased with the performance of all of them.

LV are also very good which are worth considering.

As it is a reasonable investment, perhaps you could arrange to try one of each before you make your purchase.

ryanarcher
20th June 2005, 03:32 PM
Sinjin,
Wood Borer and I were talking about this recently. Here's my feelings: I think the Lv planes are easily the functional equal of Lie-Nielsen planes. in fact, some of their features are better ( I like the mouth opening mechanism better on the LV LA planes because one can fully open the mouth to clear a chip, then close it to the exact place it was set before without any fiddling). and i also think Lee Valley and especialy Rob Lee have the best customer service on the planet. These guys are awesome and truly make me feel like i'm there only customer. but for some reason, i prefer my LN's. Why? I don't know? I can take a microscopically thinner shaving with my LNs, but who really needs to pull a 3 micron shaving anyway?
So imho if you want a top quality uncomprimising workhorse (for a great price), go with the LV. If you want a top quality uncomprimising workhorse that is an heirloom and put's a smile on your face when you use it (and you have superhuman powers of monetary justifacation), go with the LN's.
I'm set for hand planes for life unless some extrordinary need arrises, but if i buy any more they will be LNs. and i can't tell you why except that they make me happy. and you can't ask for anything more than that.

and veritas doesn't make a 10 1/4 ;)

here's a pic of my planes so you can know what basing my opinions on. ommitted is my new LN LA smoother

Ryanarcher, just wondering as you have a few LN planes..do you have a number 5 or 5 1/2 or number six and can you give me a few clues as to why you chose what you did buy.

sorry, i was ranting :o . to answer your question i originally went with LN for the specialised tools, and don't have a 5, or 6. I'm a hopeless bevel-up convert now though. :D

zenwood
20th June 2005, 04:01 PM
here's a pic of my planes so you can know what basing my opinions on. ommitted is my new LN LA smoother That's a droolicious set of planes you have there, and a nice bench too. Not wanting to hijack or anything, can you give some details of how you installed the end vice?

derekcohen
20th June 2005, 04:05 PM
Ryan

Why not start a new thread - about your end vise. I am interested too, and plan to add one to my workbench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ryanarcher
20th June 2005, 04:07 PM
no problem. i'll do it tomorrow at work.
-Ryan

sinjin1111
20th June 2005, 04:14 PM
Thks for all the info guys. I'll just have to think about it for a little while. I'm kind of hanging out for this 7 1/2 of LV's LA to see what its like. At the end of the day i don't need any at all. But i have 1 or 2 gaps in my shelves which looks very unsightly. You know what i mean.....
Ryan i like that big slick (Chisel) you have on the wall. Just a tip. I make masking tape tip covers for my chisels as well. What i do is wrap the tape around the end of the blade till you get a nice shape say 25-30 up the blade which protects the blade Wind enough tape on till you get around 2mm thick. Your first one or two wraps are sticky side out so it doesn't stick to the blade. Then very carefully dip the whole end into some 5 minute Areladite to cover the masking tape and careful not to let any go inside between the tape and the chisel. As the glue is setting just slowly rotate the chisel and you will get a very smooth robust blade protector for your chisels. It works well looks nice and costs very little.
Sinjin

Wood Borer
20th June 2005, 04:19 PM
Ryan,

Why are you displaying these photos whilst I am at work. :mad:

I feel this sudden urge to rush home.

A wonderful collection.

Driver
20th June 2005, 04:38 PM
Ryan

For shame! Posting that kind of and stirring up suppressed emotions. :D

Col

ryanarcher
20th June 2005, 04:41 PM
Are you a timber framer Sinjin? The slick is probably my favorite tool. It was made in 1837 and i just found it lying in the dirt! you can still see the lamination line in the bevel. thanks for the tip about the blade guard. I use those flexible plastic cutting boards wraped in canvas.

Rob,

:D:D:D you NEED a LA smoother! That thing is UNREAL! the blade adjustment mechanism is smooth as silk. I'd ship it out for you to try, but i don't think i'd ever get it back. :D

Wood Borer
20th June 2005, 04:47 PM
you NEED a LA smoother! That thing is UNREAL! the blade adjustment mechanism is smooth as silk. I'd ship it out for you to try, but i don't think i'd ever get it back. :D

Ryan,

You are quite right, the very first LN plane I bought was a 164 LA Smoother. A beautiful drool I mean tool. :D

ryanarcher
20th June 2005, 05:04 PM
Ryan,

You are quite right, the very first LN plane I bought was a 164 LA Smoother. A beautiful drool I mean tool. :D

OOps! :o Faux Pas :o you already have one. I should have known. I just didn't see it in your avatar. :o

Must go home and produce shavings...Must go home and produce shavings...Must go home and produce shavings...Must go home and produce shavings.....

Wood Borer
20th June 2005, 05:31 PM
I must change my Avatar one of these days.

I see Craig has some sort of dragon as his avatar at the moment. I was thinking of a plane/snake theme. I just have to be extra careful not to hurt one of my snakes with the sharp parts of a plane.

When I sort out all the logistics I will take the photo and make the change.

sinjin1111
21st June 2005, 09:02 AM
Hello Ryan.yes yr right its a pity your so far away. I'm actually not far from that old guy WoodBorer and i live in Boxhill.
As to the chisel i used to be a boatbuilder so i know how good those chisels are. I have 65mm wide Japanese chisel which is without any doubt my favourite chisel. The chisel i picked up for $50 about 8 yrs ago and worth every cent.
Sinjin

Wood Borer
21st June 2005, 11:01 AM
Sinjin,

Old? :D

If you ever need to test run a plane that I have, please send me a PM and we can arrange a suitable time.

sinjin1111
21st June 2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Wood...might just have to do that..Prob is i know know tha outcome like you...another dint in the BC...
But we might have a coffee in Camberwell sometime and tell a few things if you feel like it.
Sinjin

Wood Borer
21st June 2005, 01:14 PM
Sounds good to me, send me a PM when you are ready.

ryanarcher
22nd June 2005, 07:47 AM
ok, the tail vice thread is up on the general ww forum. ;)