PDA

View Full Version : Burning rings

steck
30th April 2010, 10:18 AM
Hi all,
what do you guys and gals use to burn ring marks on your turnings?
I have tried using a nail with some success but it makes a very patchy mark.
I also tried some twitching wire with mediocre results.
So - what is the best way to make those nice dark clearly defined burnt groves ??

Here's an example of my ordinary grooves. I hope to improve?

TTIT
30th April 2010, 10:44 AM
High speed and I cut a small groove in the piece to guide my garotte (just a wire with a handle each end :B ). Stainless steel wire seems to work best because it doesn't conduct the heat away from where you want it but galvanised tie wire works OK too. For internal grooves I have used the edge of thin laminex but you tend to wear a lot away before you get a burn :shrug:

Cliff Rogers
30th April 2010, 11:31 AM
Pointy tip of a piece of hardwood also works.

Drillit
30th April 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Steck,
Try buying some wire from (say) Dick Smiths - a nickel/chrom mix. Cheap as. Buy a kid's hacksaw and tighten it across where blade goes. Goes xtra good. Inside use wire between 2 sets of pliers after scoring with point of skew. Good luck. Drillit.

munruben
30th April 2010, 12:36 PM
I just use wire that you hang pictures with attached to two pieces of timber as handles so I can hold it tight without burning my fingers.

Texian
30th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Same as Vern; tiny groove and floral wire (size unknown but available), handles on the ends, about 1,000 rpm or more. Never hold the wire directly with your hands, but use something for "handles" that you can easily release if needed.

mkypenturner
30th April 2010, 08:01 PM
all i use is the laminate samples just drop down to your local hardware store and grab a few ( handfull ) as free if you even ask they may have a heap stashed of old samples of discontinued colours and will prob give you a box full to get them out of shop , i work at a hardware store and have grapped a 2 lt icecream container full for members of my local club

troy

Tiger
30th April 2010, 08:31 PM
I used to use wire but now use laminate samples, safer and give a better result.

NeilS
30th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Fishing trace wire.

Treecycle
30th April 2010, 09:37 PM
I just use some copper wire that I stripped out of some offcuts of electrical cable. This can give you a good range of diameters to work with. Just need to be a bit light handed with the thinner pieces as they will snap reasonably easily. As said before, ensure you fit a handle of some sort on each end so that fingers won't get degloved if there is a catch.

joe greiner
30th April 2010, 09:48 PM
Have a squint here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/burnt-ring-bowl-49961/

Has a link to a long thread on this topic.

Cheers,
Joe

China
30th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Laminate or hardwood shaped to suit

steck
1st May 2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.:2tsup:
I will put them to use soon!!

thefixer
1st May 2010, 07:43 PM
I use a hacksaw. Turn the blade upside down.

robo hippy
2nd May 2010, 04:39 AM
Wound guitar strings work great as well. My club has been saturated with mine, and doesn't want any more.

robo hippy

Texian
2nd May 2010, 05:43 AM
Reed, would that be round wound or flat wound?

robo hippy
2nd May 2010, 06:35 AM
Round wound for me, I love the elecetric guitar, though with enough speed I would think just about anything would work. I used good old rebar tying wire (I did concrete work for 30 plus years), or baling wire as well.

robo hippy

Texian
2nd May 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks Reed. Pretty sure I still have an old roll of tie wire, would make fatter lines than the "floral" wire. Sold my last guitar a few years ago. Never got better than mediocre (on a good day). Did not have the will to do the work.

steck
3rd May 2010, 02:05 PM
Just went down to the Home Display Centre and picked up a handful of Laminate samples.

issatree
4th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Steck,
I've been away a few days, to the "2010 Horsham You Turn ", Great Show, so have just caught up on the Forums.

I pick up some tyre rubber off the road. Most times it has the Wire in it. so you take 1 strand, put 1 end in the vice & strip the rubber off, with the back of a knife, untwine 1 Wire, put some handles on.
I've found that to be the best of all. Truck wire is a different Dia. to Car tread Wire.
This stuff lasts forever.
I also use Tie Wire, if I want a thicker one again.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">