PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Alum Round Bar

Bidgee
4th May 2010, 06:30 PM
I need to cut 65mm and 36mm round aluminum bar into short lengths. Tried the grinder (using a steel cutting disc) and the alum ate the disc away. Tried the lathe but its a pain to set up and part.

Is there some form of cutting disc that does the job?

westaussieguy
4th May 2010, 07:52 PM
I use a wood cutting drop saw with a bit of bees wax on the blade, just cut slowly or a metal band saw if you can get hold of one.
Matt

Edd
4th May 2010, 08:37 PM
A horizontal metal bandsaw is probably easiest. Failing that, something similar to a triton metal cutting drop saw with a TC tipped blade would make short work of it. Or possibly a TC wood saw, as suggested, but the rake angle may not be correct.

Don't grind soft metals like brass or aluminium. They will clog the grinder and turn it into a rubbing wheel/heater. So no cutoff saws either.

Or use the lathe. If your spindle bore is big enough, poke it through so it sticks out the chuck a minimum amount. For the larger rod, use a fixed steady. Parting off should be very easy, especially aluminium. At TAFE a few years ago, one of the teachers showed us parting off medium diameter steel at 2000+rpm in about 5 seconds. Since then, it's easy to tell when it's done incorrectly because it will be slow and difficult.

- dial indicator to get parting blade running perfectly parallel with cross slide
- parting tool perfectly on centre, minimum stickout, toolpost tight
- set lathe pretty damn fast (okay, a little slower if you use HSS parting - if you only ever buy one carbide lathe tool, parting is the one though)
- never part when's tailstock centre is used
- coolant optional. Probably not a bad idea for big stuff
- use a medium-fast constant feed rate
- the piece that falls off should look almost as if you have faced it

Edit: This is what you should aspire to. I can get results almost as good, albeit slower with this HAFCO one (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=L461). (Probably 3x cheaper on ebay or online from China.)

Edit 2: Here's the sort of saw blade (http://www.toolstoday.com/c-422-aluminum-cutting-saw-blades.aspx) you want if you wish to use a compound/circular saw.

rusty steel
4th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Hello Bidgee,
If you have a lot to cut it would probably be worth while getting a drop saw/mitre saw, if you dont have one. There is a special TC tipped blade for cutting aluminium(it can also be used for wood). It has square teeth with every second tooth having the corners chamfered. The blade also has a lot more teeth than a normal wood cutting blade. There is a special dry waxy lubricant stick available to rub on the teeth before you cut. The lube that I have is ADCO saw lube but it is not as good (less sticky) than the lube I used before. The other alternative would be to post it up to Soundman so he can cut it up with his hacksaw.:D
hope this helps,
Russell

RayG
4th May 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Bidgee,

I use a normal woodworking bandsaw to cut Aluminium plate, use a fine toothed bimetal blade at approx 1000 fpm. I cut dry, but if you are doing a lot of it, a bit of cutting lubricant would probably be worth the extra clean up effort.

For round bar you would need a sled or clamping arrangement of some sort to stop it from grabbing and rolling.

I think I've seen festool circular saw blades specifically for cutting aluminium, might be worth checking if any special blade type is required. Might be a bit rough on TCT, and require a fine tooth pitch with a bit of negative rake.

Regards
Ray

Bidgee
5th May 2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys

Scott

soundman
5th May 2010, 06:54 PM
No i wouldn't cut it with a hack saw...i'd probaly blow the dust off my wood drop saw and put the 100 tooth aluminium blade in it.

The right blade and the right feed rate with a good lubricant and the cut will be beautifull.

Of I'd do the same on the saw bench..probaly with my sled.

Believe me I've cut my fair share of aluminium.......

just about any wax or oil lubricant..even detergent will work.... but one of the purpose made stick lubes is the go.

BUT

That said.....I would rather cut aluminium with a hacksaw that a grinder:D

and probaly get it done quicker:D

Get that hacsaw out...... its good for your health ( where did that huf and puff emoticon go)

cheers