PDA

View Full Version : Shifting gear in turning

rsser
4th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Today I had my 2nd spindle turning lesson with .

Had done a basic course years ago but without practice ... ptui.

Order of work, tool technique, measurement discipline ... all v. diff and more demanding compared to my bowl turning work.

For today's exercise I took down a design (pic attached, the right side form) and the complexities in achieving it were substantial.

The form shaping goes much faster than faceplate work and there's no fudging poor tool control.

I learned heaps. 's a great teacher.

tea lady
4th May 2010, 08:56 PM
:2tsup:

:? So where's the candle holder then? :rolleyes::D

rsser
4th May 2010, 09:09 PM
LOL, that was a learning piece.

wheelinround
4th May 2010, 09:13 PM
as TL said so where is it

Enfield Guy
4th May 2010, 10:55 PM
What is it I keep on seeing on here?.............. Oh, that's right, no pics, it didn't happen!!!!

Come on, get it out!!!
Cheers

Ed Reiss
5th May 2010, 12:07 PM
tis not a candle holder boys and girls...it's a super size shot cup for the amber liquid :2tsup:

rsser
5th May 2010, 12:43 PM
Good idea Ed!

RETIRED
5th May 2010, 01:51 PM
MMMM. it's not big enough.:wink::D

rsser
5th May 2010, 02:28 PM
True. BUT ....

Some v. careful long hole boring,
Hollow out and then plug the bottom.

Think of the advantages ...., "yes dear, I'm just having a wee dram before bed-time" :D

NeilS
5th May 2010, 03:57 PM
The form shaping goes much faster than faceplate work and there's no fudging poor tool control.

I learned heaps. 's a great teacher.

Good on ya, Ern!

I'm always impressed by competent spindle turners.

A set of six wheel spokes that I turned years ago convinced me that spindle work may not be my thing. They had to be identical for both balance and appearance. Got there in the end by turning some extras and then selecting six of the best. Cheating really!

Didn't do much spindle work after that, just the odd handle, until was kind enough to give me some skew/spindle turning instruction at Horsham You Turn last year, which might become wasted on me if I don't get back to practicing a bit more...:(

And, yes, is a naturally gifted teacher, as you Mexicans already know.

Looking forward to seeing which direction your spindle work takes you.

rsser
5th May 2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, when working to set dimensions you can't be sloppy with either your tool control or your thinking.

Given popular demand there's a pic, but I had to bail out of the lesson cos of time so it's not finished.

The stub at the top has to be removed, the cove at the base turned and a little refinement is needed.

I also cocked up the base width so the bottom is a little out of proportion. I'd p/copied the original from the book Classic Forms and reduced it to 85% to match the blank width. But a little wander off centre had it smaller than that in reality.

And as observed, when you change size the existing proportions don't necessarily work anyway.

What I valued about the teaching was 's step-wise approach, explaining the why of the order of work and also giving plenty of opportunity to do the shaping myself. At the same time being happy when asked to show how. The ogee on the base was beyond me but seeing him do it was invaluable.

Anyway, a real charge it was. Big bowl work is butchery with refinement; this work appears to me to be fine surgery ;-}

Sawdust Maker
5th May 2010, 04:53 PM
Damn this thread
I think you've finally convinced me that I should find a master and part with some cash and learn properly over a couple of days - been thinking about it anyway.
So should I go to mexico amd see
or head up north and see Mr Ewart

more time in the shed playing with the tools might not do any harm either!

PS the shape looks ok to me
nice work Ern

Alastair
5th May 2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Sawdust,

not bagging by any means, but John was one of my teachers @ the old TAFE course in 2002/3, and I cannot recommend him too highly. He is excellent, and if you tie in with Trend, more accessible to Sydneysiders.

regards

wheelinround
5th May 2010, 05:51 PM
:2tsup: well done Ern

Getting spindle turnings exact is hard especially if timbers decide they are boss not you:;

RETIRED
5th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi Sawdust,

not bagging by any means, but John was one of my teachers @ the old TAFE course in 2002/3, and I cannot recommend him too highly. He is excellent, and if you tie in with Trend, more accessible to Sydneysiders.

regardsAgreed.