PDA

View Full Version : G'day, newbie setting up...which router?

AyeJay
5th May 2010, 10:48 AM
G'day all,:aussie5:

I've been reading through these forums for awhile now, and loving the wealth of knowledge and experience.

I'm getting into wood working as my wife and I are expecting our first(AWESOME!!):hpydans2:, so a cot and change table and high chair are the beginnings of an exciting hobby. What little wood working I've done I really enjoy..just need practice and skills! haha

I am just completing an easy workbench for the garage, next stop is practice for the cot (mortise and tennon joints galore).

So now to pick at your brains and knowledge:

I have been searching for a plunge router that I can use handheld, but in future if I can make a table, it will be table mounted.

I would like:
good quality
soft start (electronic)
good plunge
good depth settings
good for handheld use
maybe round base

are there any that fit this bill but are still reasonably priced?

I saw a hitachi m12sa2 for around $265, which is not bad, but it doesn't have soft start and is 6.2Kg. that seems about the best deal so far...plunge action was smooth and settings were quite easy. It didn't have a soft start or variable speed though.

I've read that routers with a round base are better, as there is only ever one point in contact with your straight edge. Are there any routers like this available in sydney??

I have used a friends ryobi, but it was sticky on the plunge, and then when it loosened, it went down with such force that the depth settings got changed, so not sure about ryobi!

Sorry for the long post.. Thanks heaps in advance!!!!

munruben
5th May 2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forum AyeJay. Opinions will vary on your router question. I use an old B&D for hand held routing but does not have a plunge action. My plunger router (hand held) is a Ryobi and it has served me well although I haven't used it that much over the years. I also have the big Triton but I don't think that would suit hand held routing to be honest. There is a smaller Triton but not sure if that is still available.
If you do a search on the forum, you will see lots of opinions and advice about routers. You may pick up some useful tips from reading those threads and posts.

AyeJay
5th May 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your reply munruben.

Can I ask how you use a router without a plunge action? Is this something that you have done (take out the springs) or do you have to wind it to the depth every time?

I have been reading quite a bit through these forums...most recommend the triton...but seems to me like triton is finished, so probably not smart to get one and then never have parts.

I should say that the ryobi I tried out had been sitting around for a few years, so perhaps I should just go cheap to start with.

(made my first trial mortise and tenon joint today...excellent!:D)

Stupid Boy
5th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Welcome AyeJay
I hope you find the forum as useful as I do.
If your looking for a top quality router you can't go past a Casals. The model that will suit all your requirements is anFT2000VCE ½" Router 1900 W Variable Speed
I 've had one for a few months now and it has exceeded my expectations.
These are made in Spain and marketed in Europe and the USA under either Trend or Freud Brands. If you do an ebay search for Casals you can usually pick one up for about $250.00 and that's less than half the price you would pay retail.
Good luck with your search.

Christos
5th May 2010, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum. I can not really answer your question on routers as I only have one and that is in the table. So far no need to take it out.

It is a Triton that I purchase before they went under and came back.

Mr Brush
5th May 2010, 10:00 PM
When I was at Carbatec Sydney last week, they claimed to (finally) have stock of the revised TRA001B (with the above table height winder a la MOF001). It looked like they were trying to shift the last couple of remaining original TRA001AU models before wheeling out the new stock?

For combination table/handheld use I prefer the smaller and lighter Triton MOF001, but the extra grunt of the TRA001 does come in handy if it is going to be permanently table-mounted.

Of course, if you want something more reliable with an assured supply of spares, it might be best to avoid Triton altogether :rolleyes:. If the "rebirth" of Triton doesn't generate the level of sales Carbatec are expecting, then it might just be 'deja vu all over again' .......lol

AyeJay
5th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks SBoy for the suggestion...I will look it up.

So christos...when did the 'came back' part of triton's history take place??

mr Brush, what your saying is that carbatec is sort of running with the triton thing and hoping it works out?? hmmmm But yes, I agree with you...if things don't work out, I will have a tool with no parts supply....not so good.

Christos
6th May 2010, 08:35 PM
I think late in 2009 they were back in business. But not in Australia, until early this year, when Carbatec announced that they have exclusive distribution.

I think this is pretty close.

Bluegum
8th May 2010, 04:29 PM
Ayejay

I own the Makits 3612 single speed router. Great router and handles it all really well if your interested in looking at Makita. Only thing I wish it was varible speed. I know makita do the 3612C I think which is varible speed. Does cost a little more though.

NewLou
8th May 2010, 07:10 PM
I love the Dewalt 621 and reckon its the best router Ive used.....................Slap on a circular Sub-base N i reckon U got the Best Plunge Router for hand held use ever made!

I also have both Tritons; Top of the line Bosch and a huge Metabo I love the little Triton but the Dewalt 621 is the Router I always reach for.

Check out PAt Warners Router Website! its the definitive resource for all things router and does some excellent reviews of various makes n models....................well worth a look!

Regards Lou :2tsup:

AyeJay
8th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Dave for your input...found the Makita 3612C for around 590...which is too much for me.

Lou, thanks for your input. I have actually thought about the dewalt quite a bit...I really like the way you can lock it by turning the handle and not having to reach for a lever. It is also cheaper by almost 200 dollars from the makita. One thing I have been a bit worried about though has been that it's only 1100W, which seems very very small.....what are your thoughts??

Another question is...where do you get this round base thingy?? or do you make one???

thanks guys.

NewLou
8th May 2010, 08:09 PM
Like all things its horses for courses...................n how effectively u use your tools

If your routers for home workshop use The 621's got more than enough grunt ..................If your doing production runs n pushing your router flat chat 4 hours a day then a more powerful unit is a necessity.

IF your going to be routing Via a Router table the majority of the time with occasional hand use its hard to beat the Tritons (Which are the ducks guts 4 underneath a table)

I'll just come clean upfront n let you know these things Breed like rabbits Ive got the luxory of using my 621 for HAndwork & Tritons for under the TAble.............

As a 1st Router the 621 comes from a great heritage & is hard to beat :roll:ink about what your needs are before you buy I know 4 me I did a lot more hand held work initially with my router But as u collect bits and get around to making a table new horizons and options develop.......................

A subbase can be bought or easily made yourself!!!

REgards Lou :2tsup:

AyeJay
8th May 2010, 08:17 PM
thanks for the quick response Lou.

I really liked the weight factor of the 621 also by the way... The other options are bidding on Ebay for a small triton..or even a big one. I guess if I bought the 2400W triton I would get around to making a router table real quick!! haha

Can I ask if you made your sub-base, and if so..did you make one like the offset ones from pat?

Anyway, thanks SO much for your input, the list narrows a bit more!! :)

AyeJay
8th May 2010, 08:25 PM
sorry...another question...have you ever found that the plunge depth on the 621 (53mm according to my research) has been limiting?

NewLou
8th May 2010, 08:51 PM
I made my 1st sub-base out of plexiglass from some off cuts from local industry ar-la PAt Warners design..........works a treat :2tsup: However its definitely not a necessity the 621 works fine as is!

If youve ever watched Woodworks hosted by David marks you'll see him almost exclusively using the 621 often with jigs; fixtures or a guidefence without any kind of subbase................So its definately not a must have addition to the mix.

HAve never found the 621's Plunge depth to be an issue N have used it under the table & also in my WoodRAt.................In my experience the plunge depth of the 621 becoming an issue would be quite rare!

Regards Lou :U

AyeJay
8th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks a lot lou. I have another question...sorry for being a pest.

I have mostly been looking out for the triton 1400W as it seems small but has many features. I think my favourite is the adjustment via turning the handle. How do you rate the adjustment on the dewalt compared to this?

or a better question would be...why do you pick up the dewalt instead of the triton 1400w?

I think I'm pretty much down to one of the tritons or the dewalt now...so that's a plus.

NewLou
8th May 2010, 10:52 PM
Why do I always reach for the Dewalt :U

I guess @ the end of the day out of all the Routers in my stable it just feels right; its never let me down and to date has always delivered the goods...................U know one of those tools thats been one of your best M8s in the workshop.

Was also my 1st Router purchase & on a more practical note:

Build Quality
Weight
Great Plunge Action
Versatility
And most importantly in a Router Superior Dust extraction

All part of the Spiritual experience of the 621 in Routerland @ the end of the day shes just a bloody good piece of Kit :2tsup:LOL

If you can have a bit of a play with the routers your interested in...................you'll find the right Router ....................will pick you!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Lou :U

AyeJay
9th May 2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks a lot Lou for your input... i will go up to carbatec in a few days and see how the triton feels. I guess they would only have the 2400W one but the features seem exactly the same on both, so will have a go looking to get the 1400W version. I am now down to either the Triton mof001 or the Dewalt 621xe thanks to your input. :D

By the way, have you had any problems with the triton's collet? Ie...hard to tighten/hard to loosen...bits moving etc? I have heard that is a downfall. is it a big one? THis issue has been remedied on the new triton tra001 at carbatec

munruben
10th May 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your reply munruben.

Can I ask how you use a router without a plunge action? Is this something that you have done (take out the springs) or do you have to wind it to the depth every time?

)The B&D router I use, doesn't have a plunge action as such. The router body fits into an encasement and the whole body of the router adjusts up and down with a sort of rack and pinion and is raised or lowered by turning the adjusting Knob The knob turns a pinion which adjusts the rack that is attached to the side of the router.. These were called a fixed base router. You don't see many of them around today. You have to fix the height of the bit by lowering or raising the whole body of the router with this adjusting knob and lock it into position with a wing nut. Simple but effective. There is no springs in the mechanism for doing this.

I have this router mounted under a table and the adjustment has to be made from under the table but can e very precise with the adjusting knob raising or lowering the router.

Hope this explains it to you I'm not very good at explaining technical things. :)

AyeJay
15th May 2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the explaination munruben...yes I did understand. :)

Well, after some more thought, I've decided to go with the dewalt.

I tried the 2400W triton at carbatec the other day (just a touch/plunge/wind x3 sort of try), and I was surprised to see that the winding was not done on the handle, but that you had to actually pull on a button type deal behind the handle first and then you could wind it up and down.
I'm sure you could get used to it quick, but it felt quite awkward to do. I still like that mode though. Also I thought the plunge was good.

The thing that swayed me to the dewalt was parts and warranty. If I buy a triton of ebay....well, I feel like I am going out on a thin branch there. I'm sure i'd get many good years out of it, but on the off chance it broke, I would be in a bad place.

things I like about the dewalt:
-dust extraction in the column
-light weight
-the plunge lock on the handle
-warranty and parts not an issue

Anyway, now I have to find one. Went to total tools after recieving an email saying they had one left in stock....the one left in stock was their display model and they wouldn't give me a discount. Any ideas? :)

Thanks all for your help..problem solved (descision anyway)

AyeJay
8th August 2010, 11:14 PM
So I guess I should close this off in case someone else reads it.....

In the end I was still unsure of spending 400 + big ones on a router, so instead I bought one from aldi for 50 bucks! haha Bit of a swing, but I figured it's probably as good as the 100 buck ones from bunnings, so go with that. Seems workable.

Oh, I spent the 400 bucks on the router, router table, table saw, hand plane....plus other things....I think it was a better spend for now. If I get good at this and it becomes a consuming passion (like handplanes has become recently)....then the money can be spent.

Good luck all and thanks again everyone for the help.