PDA

View Full Version : A few Translucents

Little Festo
5th May 2010, 01:57 PM
A couple of translucent bowls /forms. Turned from what I was told was Norfolk Island Pine. Turned thing and these pieces were oiled 4-5 times.

The form is approx 400mm high the bowl is approx 275mm in diameter.

Peter

rsser
5th May 2010, 02:30 PM
Brilliant. Yep looks like NIP.

Have admired some of the US/Hawaii efforts before.

How thin Peter? and what kind of oil?

NeilS
5th May 2010, 02:37 PM
Yummy.... would make great lampshades.

Little Festo
5th May 2010, 05:25 PM
Brilliant. Yep looks like NIP.

Have admired some of the US/Hawaii efforts before.

How thin Peter? and what kind of oil?

Hello Ern,

Pretty thin, starts at about 2mm at the top half then goes to about 3-4 at the base. Iv'e left a bit of thickness at the base to help with stability so a bit of a breeze won't blow it over but they are still pretty light. The deep piece was a bit difficult. I misread where the knots were going, they went down instead of up so it made things a bit more difficult. The knots look better up near the top rather than down towards the base. i turned one piece to about 1mm but it is too thin to sand and being so thin it dosen't take on much of a colour change with the oilings although it didn't take many oilings (one in fact) to gain a good translucence.

They have both gone back in the oil.

I'm using a equal mix of turps, varnish and linseed oil.

Would need a cool light source for lampshades as they really burn well.

Peter

Ad de Crom
5th May 2010, 05:54 PM
Peter, really excellent, norfolk pine is the right wood for making translucent lampshades, just like Peter Bloch is doing. Another Hawain woodturner does the same, I forgot his name.
Ad :2tsup:

RETIRED
5th May 2010, 06:14 PM
Would need a cool light source for lampshades as they really burn well.And we know this, how?:wink::D

Little Festo
5th May 2010, 07:09 PM
I've had a few break/crack when sanding (never when turning:B) and they make really good fire starters. I'd just worry a bit about someone's house burning down and it would be my fault - all that oil soaked into the wood. Possibly be ok but ............

Peter

Tony Morton
5th May 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Peter
How fresh is the timber when you turn it and do you do any nuking or just start oiling, Ive got word of a couple of pines coming down and want to have a go at these translucent pieces. Love the colours and shapes.
Cheers Tony

Little Festo
6th May 2010, 09:20 AM
Hello Tony,

Generally just start oiling. It's better if they are a bit green as they turn a bit better. Very green is ok too, just wet sand and let dry for a day or two.

Peter

Rum Pig
6th May 2010, 09:32 AM
That is nice very nice well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Did you ever try the local pine up here? I ask because I have 2 trees worth (not very big) and was going to see Ian on Saturday and wondering if I need to take extra for him?

TTIT
6th May 2010, 10:04 AM
Sweet looking pieces Peter :2tsup:. Read about that stuff the Hawaiian guys do years ago and they made the oiling process out to be much more complicated with much the same result as yourself - well done! :U

Ed Reiss
6th May 2010, 12:07 PM
Nice looking bowls :2tsup:

dai sensei
6th May 2010, 08:47 PM
Wow, fantastic result :cool:

I always wanted to try some NIP, thanks for the advise re knots

Ozkaban
6th May 2010, 09:01 PM
Wow! They look great! Would they be ok with those low wattage energy saver bulbs?

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
6th May 2010, 11:09 PM
:2tsup: they look great. Must get back to my NIP stash.:cool: I like the knots going down the foot of the deep bowl, although they would have been a bit "fun", with the grain hardness change.:C

:U

artme
9th May 2010, 09:08 AM
Yep,that's NIP and they are great pieces!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

imdusty
10th May 2010, 03:15 AM
Peter, really excellent, norfolk pine is the right wood for making translucent lampshades, just like Peter Bloch is doing. Another Hawain woodturner does the same, I forgot his name.
Ad :2tsup:

I think his name is Uda Dost. When I was there, he and his wife had a shop in the Hilton Hawiian Village.