PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenden 3 meter post lathe.

simon d
6th May 2010, 10:27 AM
Hi guys. Haven't been here for a while but I know who to turn to for this question.
I have an old Wolfenden lathe with 2.7 meters between centers. I want to have it restored. (I have a master blacksmith, metalworker on the case). My friend is going to repair one of the cast iron tool rests, replace the electric motor and drive belt, fabricate a new safety cover and make up new tool rest clamping plates and a 2.5 meter tool rest. It has a huge heavy gauge hot rolled plate welded double face to face C section lathe bed on two cast iron splayed legs, plus cast iron tail and head stocks and spindle and the belt drive is three speed.

My question is, what do you good people think it is worth in good running order, and does anyone want to buy it when it's ready?

orraloon
6th May 2010, 06:08 PM
Simon,
No idea what it would fetch but I think we would all be intereated in a few pictures.
Regards
John

Texian
7th May 2010, 03:03 PM
It will depend a lot on what motor and controller is installed. Sure would like to see some pictures. In fact it would be very interesting to document the restoration process photographically.

tea lady
7th May 2010, 06:28 PM
We definitely need pictures.:D:)

hughie
8th May 2010, 01:20 AM
We definitely need pictures.:D:)

Yup with out pics, it don't exist :U

simon d
12th May 2010, 09:58 PM
Yey! Sorry people, I had been marked down as retired/banned/unknown and generally unsavory for some reason and couldn't get into the thread again to reply for the last 6 days, and I tried nearly every day to answer your questions!

I would love to post photos but I haven't got any and the lathe is in my friends workshop all in pieces. As soon as its assembled a bit I'll try and get some pictures up. Basically, he's going to find a 2.5 horse power electric motor and build a safety cover for it and new triple drive cog. The whole motor assembly is mounted onto a jockey plate which falling backwards, provides the grip tension for the belt drive.

I'll ring him and ask if he can document the process for us.