PDA

View Full Version : Balanced lug rigging question

ausie
6th May 2010, 12:57 PM
Michael & others,

When you attach the block to the yard at the mid-point with a cow hitch, does it tend to slide forward a little when the main halyard tension comes on?

If so,how do you stop it?

Al.

nickpullen
6th May 2010, 03:30 PM
Michael & others,
When you attach the block to the yard at the mid-point with a cow hitch, does it tend to slide forward a little when the main halyard tension comes on?
If so,how do you stop it?
Al.

Well, I havent had an issue with mine sliding at all... I just did it as per the rigging guide. No problems.

One thing you may want to also try, I found it made things a little easier, is to move the cleat for the downhaul from the side of the mast the the rear. When Using 2 blocks, they tend to get in the way when you try and cleat it off, esp when you have it brutally tight.

Hope this helps. Oh and post some pictures of your boat please!

ausie
6th May 2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks Nick.

It was a general question not related to any particular design & I probably should have put it in the open forum,but as it was in relation to the rigging instructions for the GIS,I put it here.

I'll post it again over there.

Al.:doh:

ausie
6th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Nick,

Sorry,I forgot the pics you asked for.

Here they are.

Al.

robhosailor
6th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Here they are.
It's really beautiful Jim Michalak's Ladybug! :) :2tsup:

woodeneye
6th May 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi Al, we'll have to get together some time next summer for a joint sail of our two lug rigged boats! Where do you sail her?

I'm gradually closing in on the completion of my GIS.

ausie
7th May 2010, 05:35 PM
G'Day Robert ,it IS a Ladybug & she is beautiful!

Bruce,I've only just launched her & still making adjustments but sail mostly on Lake Macquarie,Newcastle Harbour & port Stephens.

There are a few local boats including a Blobster & a Green Island Skiff that I know of.Also young bloke at Valentine came & said g'day when I was launching & said he had a wooden boat too...can't remember what it is but I know where he lives.

I'll have a sniff around & see if a get-together can be arranged.

Al.

b.o.a.t.
7th May 2010, 06:58 PM
G'day Al
replied to the yard hitch slipping problem on your other thread.
have you NSW blokes seen this thread under Misc Boat Related Stuff ?
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f35/ubeauts-wooden-boat-squadron-nsw-division-117211/ ?
Could be a good rallying point for arranging/proposing activity.
The SA one has worked fairly well for us Crow-eaters.
cheers
AJ

ausie
7th May 2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks AJ,I'll see if I can convince 'em that not everyone in NSW lives in Sydney.

Al.

woodeneye
7th May 2010, 07:37 PM
Bruce,I've only just launched her & still making adjustments but sail mostly on Lake Macquarie,Newcastle Harbour & port Stephens.

There are a few local boats including a Blobster & a Green Island Skiff that I know of.Also young bloke at Valentine came & said g'day when I was launching & said he had a wooden boat too...can't remember what it is but I know where he lives.

I'll have a sniff around & see if a get-together can be arranged.

Al.
Al, just where I will be sailing! I was also thinking of Grahamstown dam near Raymond Terrace for some freshwater sailing too (closer for me), but this is only open during the summer months.

Ok, we'll need to stay in contact so I'll send you my email address shortly. I'm also very interested in your lug rig and the adjustments you're speaking of as I'll be faced with this very soon!

ausie
8th May 2010, 10:42 AM
Bruce,

I look forward to getting together with a few like souls in the near future.

My reply to my own rigging question is in the open forum if you go there.

I originally posted on this forum as a general question as I thought Michael Storer might be interested in replying but should end it here as my boat is not his design.

If he was interested he would have picked up the thread in the open forum too.He seems to lurk there a lot but must have nothing to add to our discussion.

Al.

woodeneye
8th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Al, I don't know what you mean by "open forum". I did a search but couldn't come up with anything. Can you post a link? Thanks.

ausie
8th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Boat Designs/Plans mate.

We're lurking in Storer's private/business forum at the moment....the others are all "open",or at least they are meant to be.

Al.

Boatmik
8th May 2010, 10:34 PM
Hi Al,

I think that Nick answered the question fine - so didn't butt in myself. The cowhitch does tend to jam - so it won't move on the yard. Especially if the loop is reasonably tight.

With the downhaul it can tend to slip a bit on the boom if the sail is loose footed in particular. You could put a thumbcleat on the boom to stop the downhaul from sliding around - little more than a bump of timber glued to the top surface of the boom so the downhaul cannot slide past easily. OR incorporate a knot around the boom in the downhaul lashing.

But I haven't found much tendency for the yard lashing to slide. If I found it a problem then I would put a small deadeye on the back face of the yard and put the cowhitch lashing through that.

Best wishes
Michael

b.o.a.t.
8th May 2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Al, I don't know what you mean by "open forum". I did a search but couldn't come up with anything. Can you post a link? Thanks.

G'day Bruce
Al posted a duplicate thread in the boat designs & plans sub-forum.
I still say take an extra turn or two around the spar to form a prusik.
Big increase in friction & reduction in sideways movement.
Add a button or a deadeye if it doesn't fix the problem.
I promise you won't have to climb the mast if you tie it.
cheers
AJ

b.o.a.t.
8th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks AJ,I'll see if I can convince 'em that not everyone in NSW lives in Sydney.

Al.

Of course not Al. Some live in Newcastle & Wollongong.
Fortunately, the Sandstone Curtain keeps most of the rest of Oz safely isolated.
:U :hahaha: :roflmao: :rofl:

sorry.. couldn't resist. Spoke to a bloke in a call centre in Paramatta the other
day who didn't know where "Doo... bo..... Doo-bo..... Doobo?" is (spelt 'Dubbo').
25 years old, and no, he wasn't from another country, nor even another state. :no: :doh:

But returning to boating & lug rigs...
Here's a pic of mine with a prusik. As you can see, the hitch is being pulled
sideways along the spar, but it doesn't shift.

cheers
AJ

ausie
9th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks AJ,I know now that to use this rig I need a taller mast as the block comes up hard against the deadeye before the sail is in tension.So I'll stay with the original rig which,incidently is fine,I was curious to try a different approach.

Lazy jacks are installed & it's all system go!

I'm familliar with roping techniques having done a fair bit in the 60s & 70s in the military when our gear was not quite as sophisticated as some I've seen lately.(Parachutes are a lot flasher these days too!)

I use either a rolling hitch or topsail halyard bend, which are both good traditional methods that work well,when rigging the yard.

Also,it is with trepidation that I mention that my wife's family are Adelaiders so I know how you lot think!...she even pronounces "school" as "skl" & other wierd things just like you lot!

See you at Goolwa next year perhaps?...might even drag Ladybug over the Hay Plains & drop her in your pond.

Al.:U