PDA

View Full Version : lathe in a box

eskimo
6th May 2010, 04:45 PM
here it is
still sitting in the box it came in some years ago...hahaha...been to scared to get it out cos I might get yelled at.......

its BB25-1 cutting machine ..or so it says

anyone ever heard of them
and more importantly.....Are They Any Good?

psst I am plucking up the courage to get it out

Graziano
6th May 2010, 07:10 PM
C'mon get it out and bolt it to a bench and make some chips, set up your ebay page to search for various brands of tool steel like Fagersta, Bohler and Assab and buy some pieces to sharpen and use.:2tsup:

RayG
6th May 2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Eskimo,

I reckon that would make a perfect Mothers Day gift... :2tsup:

Just remember to duck.

Regards
Ray

Edd
6th May 2010, 09:44 PM
here it is
still sitting in the box it came in some years ago...hahaha...been to scared to get it out cos I might get yelled at.......

Years? :oo: I thought the yelling came from spending money on machinery and leaving machinery lying around, NOT from unpacking said machinery? :-

Looks to be a geared head mini-lathe, where did you get it?

eskimo
6th May 2010, 09:57 PM
Years? :oo: I thought the yelling came from spending money on machinery and leaving machinery lying around, NOT from unpacking said machinery? :-

Looks to be a geared head mini-lathe, where did you get it?

she doesnt know i have it
cant remember where I got it ...it was years back......it is a gear head lathe

and thanks All for your support:wink:...she'll never know....i hope
got a pedestal drill and bandsaw ( cheapies) into the shed on the pretence I won them in a raffle...but the lathe is different story.....oh and she bought the mill so thats not a problem

pipeclay
6th May 2010, 10:40 PM
Must be a pitty being under thumb.

Graziano
6th May 2010, 10:59 PM
I got a mate with disc sander, bandsaws and a table saw whose wife thinks I loaned them to him for his wood yacht project: I'm in Queensland and He's in Tassie.

China
6th May 2010, 11:48 PM
There are some pluses to not having a wife, I get to buy and use what I want, drawback is I also have to wash tthe dishes and clean the house

eskimo
7th May 2010, 05:33 AM
Must be a pitty being under thumb.
Yes

eskimo
7th May 2010, 05:34 AM
I got a mate with disc sander, bandsaws and a table saw whose wife thinks I loaned them to him for his wood yacht project: I'm in Queensland and He's in Tassie.

hahaha

eskimo
7th May 2010, 05:36 AM
There are some pluses to not having a wife, I get to buy and use what I want, drawback is I also have to wash tthe dishes and clean the house

That is a bummer ?

pipeclay
7th May 2010, 08:56 AM
Why dont you tell her that it came as a BONUS when you purchased the Mill,just that it was delivered late.

eskimo
7th May 2010, 09:39 AM
Why dont you tell her that it came as a BONUS when you purchased the Mill,just that it was delivered late.

mmm might give that a try....special deal going at the time sweetie...got a bonus cheap lathe for $1.00 extra...same thing as those adverts you see on the morning shows....:U

zuffen
7th May 2010, 06:34 PM
I buy whatever I want and charge it to our AMEX Card.

Best bit is the account is my wife's and she just pays whatever is on it.

The other option is Paypal goes to my Visa and again she just pays it for me.

Not quite the perfect wife but near enough to make her worth keeping.

RedShirtGuy
7th May 2010, 07:51 PM
Tell her it makes puppies and kittens.

Or smash the box up a bit and give her the ol' "it fell off the back of a truck, literally!!" (which by the way can be true. I very nearly scored a little workbench system on the way to Melbourne when it came off the trailer on the car a many hundreds of meters in front of me. But the bugger had realised and was running back towards me while I was picking it up :( )

eskimo
7th May 2010, 09:17 PM
I buy whatever I want and charge it to our AMEX Card.

Best bit is the account is my wife's and she just pays whatever is on it.

The other option is Paypal goes to my Visa and again she just pays it for me.

Not quite the perfect wife but near enough to make her worth keeping.

if you ever want to sell her..........you wont have trouble finding a buyer if they know that

Christos
7th May 2010, 10:05 PM
It sounds to me that you had forgotten that it was in the box. :U I done that with a center punch but not a lathe, you are the first that I know. :roll:

I say just take it out, start using it, when she comes out and ask the question what is this then answer her. It is a lathe. Then get back to doing what you were doing.

gallegos
8th May 2010, 08:13 AM
This might work depending on how cluttered your shed is and how familiar the wife is with it... it works for me most of the the time though never tried it for a lathe.

Hide it and use it for a long as possible to make it look like used and like it been there for a while. When she sees it and asks where it came from say 'i've had this for ages/ever... haven't you seen it before?'

The 'i've just borrowed this off ....' is my fall back.

jatt
8th May 2010, 05:54 PM
C'mon live dangerously.

Maybe tell her u got it cheap at a garage sale.

One day I will get around to building a shed at the missus place in town. When the toys I own get moved in she will regret her offer to let me build a shed, cause there wont be any room for her stuff!!!! She has no idea how much gear I really have :D

19brendan81
12th May 2010, 04:24 PM
"There are some pluses to not having a wife, I get to buy and use what I want, drawback is I also have to wash tthe dishes and clean the house"

ha ha ha, I cant believe this didnt get more of a laugh. Tough crowd.

zuffen
12th May 2010, 05:03 PM
Where did I go wrong.

I wash the dishes (my wife cooks so I figure "fair deal) and I help her clean the house.

I'm getting better at both now as she's stopped telling me how to do it! Or perhaps she just gave up?

eskimo
13th May 2010, 08:13 AM
ha ha ha, I cant believe this didnt get more of a laugh. Tough crowd.

I laughed .. jealously of course

eskimo
13th May 2010, 08:14 AM
Or perhaps she just gave up?

yep...they do

glock40sw
13th May 2010, 08:53 AM
One word.......

Testemax.

Watch the self help video..

YouTube - Testemax

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::D