PDA

View Full Version : How do you display your woodturning?

Tiger
6th May 2010, 04:54 PM
After you've produced your works of art, how do you display them? I mean do they sit on a shelf, do you put them behind glass or do you make up a wooden stand? We do spend a bit of time producing our work but I've often wondered whether we do it justice by just placing it wherever there's a spare spot.

orraloon
6th May 2010, 05:55 PM
Mine sort of just sit around in a pile. Family and friends sift through the pile now and then for anything that they fancy taking home.
On reflection not much of a display system at all.
Regards
John

joe greiner
6th May 2010, 09:11 PM
Generally, any flat surface above the floor, if I can find one vacant. Fireplace mantel, near edges of bookshelves, side tables, sideboard. Temporarily on tops of piles of books, also temporarily piled.

Sometimes, deliberately gifted to the recipients. Then it becomes their problem.

Pathetic, isn't it?:-:D

Cheers,
Joe

TTIT
6th May 2010, 09:27 PM
Mine sort of just sit around in a pile. Family and friends sift through the pile now and then for anything that they fancy taking home.
On reflection not much of a display system at all.
Regards
JohnMuch the same here 'cept a few favorites on show in the lounge :C

...but one day I'm gonna make a display cabinet or two - with great emphasis on the 'gonna' bit!

corbs
6th May 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm not allowed:(... they go into a cupboard or get given away fairly quickly. Might have to find an outlet where I can sell some from:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2010, 10:45 PM
My first is on display in a cabinet somewhere

some given away - so recipient problem :D

I've been told "I don't want a lot of bowls sitting around the house" so the display is the odd nook in the shed :rolleyes:

Tony Morton
6th May 2010, 11:16 PM
Hi

We have some of my pieces displayed around the house others still in shed waiting transfer to house or storage for markets. I would like to make a display cabinet to show off some of the better ones and pieces from other turnrs.

Cheers Tony

NeilS
6th May 2010, 11:41 PM
Any turning that I keep back for exhibitions I display about the house so that I can evaluate them further, usually on one of these display stands. Tallest stand is chest high, smallest just above knee high.

I also use these same stands if I have to supply my own plinths for exhibitions. They have a mirror top to provide a 'second' view of the piece.

I rotate the pieces around and rest them away for a while so that I get a fresh look at them when they come out again or see them in a new position.

jefferson
7th May 2010, 04:16 AM
Neil,

as always, very impressive. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

We must catch up one day. I know a few good / great turners and you might be another one. :wink:

hughie
7th May 2010, 09:30 AM
Everything that remains at home has to be functional, other wise it gets relegated to some obscure cupboard.

90% find new homes almost immediately, especially at Christmas.

Tiger
7th May 2010, 11:43 AM
Neil, very avant-garde and slick! I tend to stick to the standard woodturning items, pens, plates etc., love to see the art expanded.

Ed Reiss
7th May 2010, 11:52 AM
One of the drawbacks to living in a "small" home is that there is not a lot of space for displayng stuff, so, most everything is sold to people with "big" homes - solves two problems.:D

Allen Neighbors
7th May 2010, 12:03 PM
I have a couple of shelves in the dining room, that only my turned pieces are displayed on. I don't advertise, but word of mouth in this city of only 6000 people has done a good turn for me. People come by to pick up birthday, anniversary, Christmas presents. Right now, 2 or 3 a week... later on... who knows?
When Her Majesty likes one, it gets a special place on the mantle, or on a table in the Living area.
My bowls are stacked with bubble wrap between them, on top of an antique ice box. When I get too many to put somewhere, it's usually about the right time for another Craft Show.

NeilS
7th May 2010, 01:08 PM
Neil,

as always, very impressive. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

We must catch up one day. I know a few good / great turners and you might be another one. :wink:

Huhmmm...don't believe it, Jeff, just a lot of smoke and mirrors ...:U

But would love to catch up sometime. Maybe next time I'm traveling through Nth Vic.

Texian
7th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Like others, the good stuff mostly scattered about the house on various horizontal surfaces. Wife has offered a couple times to store her Native American motif decorative plates in favor of more wood stuff, and I won't agree to that. Her things are entitled to display space too. Minor stuff in boxes in the shop/shed, sometimes spread on the dining room table when a neighbor needs to come by and pick out a gift or two. A few things in a small local gallery.

Once the house is full, must sell, donate to charity auctions, give away, or pack in boxes so we can make more.

Bruceo
7th May 2010, 03:32 PM
I've largely given up on turning (bowls, grinders, little fiddly things, all that sort of stuff) because they aren't very well appreciated. Even the spectacular larger bowls lose their appeal after a while. However I do use the lathe for making table legs and decorative pieces to embellish furniture and every so often I'll sit one of the afore mentioned bowls on one of my tables or sideboards. And occasionally some perceptive soul will come along and say 'Isn't that a lovely bowl! Where did you get that?"