PDA

View Full Version : This may interest some.

RETIRED
6th May 2010, 06:02 PM
Walter Goodridge - Woodturning - Lathe-turned Functional and Decorative Objects (http://www.woodenbowlart.com/)

NeilS
7th May 2010, 12:16 AM
Hmmm... 42" bowl!

Hmmm... even better, lathe to turn 42" bowl...:)

tea lady
7th May 2010, 12:26 AM
Hmmmm....... gigantic vacuum chuck. :sigh: :rolleyes:

:U

rsser
7th May 2010, 08:33 AM
Wonder who buys a plain 42" bowl.

RETIRED
7th May 2010, 08:44 AM
I was hoping to see how he "cored" the drum out.

It would take some power to do that.

rsser
7th May 2010, 08:55 AM
Or maybe an apprentice.

Pat
7th May 2010, 08:58 AM
Did anyone see how he cores the bowls. Talk about "interesting" or was that scary?

wheelinround
7th May 2010, 09:16 AM
Did anyone see how he cores the bowls. Talk about "interesting" or was that scary?

When do we see your WiP Pat :q

hughie
7th May 2010, 09:59 AM
I was hoping to see how he "cored" the drum out.

Looks like he has used a a tool similar to a hole saw. I got involved in designing one a few years ago.

Basically you use a steel pipe on the diameter you require. Gas cut 6-10 teeth in one end silver solder TCT to each one. At the rear fix it too the tool post on the lathe.

Slow rpms and slow feed, set up the auto stop on the feed bar to drop the feed out when its finished.You can run compressed air down the kerf to help with swarf removal to prevent build up and almighty heart stopping stuff ups :U

Large old industrial lathes can be bought for scrap value $300-500 and even free as they are nearly impossible to sell. They are ideal as most of them run around less than 1000rpm top speed.

Set up the lathe in the morning and let it slowly cut away through the day. Once set up it can be run with out much supervision. The cut width was about 20-30mm, steel pipe thickness around 8-12mm depending size and diameter. The steel pipe can be bought second hand, all in all you can get it up and running for a relatively low cost.

Drillit
7th May 2010, 10:31 AM
Ern,
Perhaps it is a fish bowl for good sized koi. eh. Otherwise for a team salad. John M.

tea lady
7th May 2010, 10:33 AM
Otherwise for a team salad. John M.:think: You would need a few tossers for that wouldn't you.:D

RETIRED
7th May 2010, 10:55 AM
Looks like he has used a a tool similar to a hole saw. I got involved in designing one a few years ago.

Basically you use a steel pipe on the diameter you require. Gas cut 6-10 teeth in one end silver solder TCT to each one. At the rear fix it too the tool post on the lathe.

Slow rpms and slow feed, set up the auto stop on the feed bar to drop the feed out when its finished.You can run compressed air down the kerf to help with swarf removal to prevent build up and almighty heart stopping stuff ups :U

Large old industrial lathes can be bought for scrap value $300-500 and even free as they are nearly impossible to sell. They are ideal as most of them run around less than 1000rpm top speed.

Set up the lathe in the morning and let it slowly cut away through the day. Once set up it can be run with out much supervision. The cut width was about 20-30mm, steel pipe thickness around 8-12mm depending size and diameter. The steel pipe can be bought second hand, all in all you can get it up and running for a relatively low cost.Thanks Hughie.

tea lady
7th May 2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks Hughie.Oh no! I think you have given him ideas.:rolleyes::D

NeilS
7th May 2010, 11:49 AM

They are using the KELTON (Kel McNaughton) bowl corer system (http://www.kelton.co.nz/mcnatn_syst_standard.html). Only scary until you get used to it.

The Kelton large straight blade could have been used (by boring in from both ends) to core that drum, but going by the evenness of the cut marks it looks more like a boring bar has been used.

hughie
8th May 2010, 01:26 AM
Oh no! I think you have given him ideas.:rolleyes::D

:U wouldn't be surprised

robo hippy
12th May 2010, 12:16 PM
Scary coring was some pictures in a UK masters of bowl turning book where the turner was plunge cutting with a chainsaw into a 30 plus inch diameter piece of oak. That made even my sphincters pucker, and I am fearless.

robo hippy

NeilS
12th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Scary coring was some pictures in a UK masters of bowl turning book where the turner was plunge cutting with a chainsaw into a 30 plus inch diameter piece of oak. That made even my sphincters pucker, and I am fearless.

robo hippy

.........:o:o:o

Don't think I will try that one.....:no: