PDA

View Full Version : Ski touring NZ glaciers, August

rsser
6th May 2010, 09:15 PM
They call it 'big mountain country' over there and it does just about take your breath away literally; altitude plus adrenaline.

This will be the 2nd attempt. Last time cos of tight schedules I only got a day on the Tasman. Flew to the top of the glacier, bit of a run down, then skinned up to a saddle that on a good day gives a view of the W coast, and then cruised down to the lower pick-up point and flew out.

This time it'll be fly in, 5 days in an alpine hut, guided day tours from there and weather permitting fly out.

A pic from last time:

munruben
7th May 2010, 04:39 PM
Sounds cold but exciting. If only I could ski.:)

RossM
7th May 2010, 08:14 PM
You'll love it Ern.

I used to spend a lot of time climbing (& some ski touring) in that area. As you will have a guide, why don't you see about some introductory climbs? There are many easy routes. What hut are you basing yourself from?

rsser
7th May 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Ross, the guiding company will make a choice the day before according to weather and how full the huts are. Chopper from Franz Josef if from the W otherwise the ski plane out of Mt Cook. So we may end up at Kelman, Pioneer or Centennial.

Yes, there'll be AT climb options. From Kelman: Elie de Beaumont, Minarets, Sydney King and Hochstetter Dome. From Pioneer or Centennial, depending, Mounts Grey, Lendenfeld, Tasman; The Minarets, Mount von Bulow and Drummond Peak.

It's a very exciting prospect and I'll be cranking up the fitness training big time!

What parts did you ski tour Ross?

How cold do the huts get? I'll need to choose between an efficient 700g down bag and my 900g snow bag.

Last time I was using fairly wide pattern base skis (by Oz standards) with a telemark tour binding and in the softish snow tele turns were darned hard work. This time I'll have wider pattern base skis but have the option of wider still all-mountain skis and skins.

RossM
8th May 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Ern,

My skiing in that area was all on the Eastern (Tasman Glacier) side. I've climbed from both sides.

If you are going to camp out, I suggest that you take a warmer bag, and particularly a synthetic if you have one (otherwise a Gortex bivvy bag) as the weather is probably worst in the world for a climbing area - hence the NZ climbing fatality rate (Don't want to scare you, just be prepared!) It can get dampish, even in winter.

If you are going to be hut based at all times, you should be fine with the lighter bag. If there are a few people in the hut, it will warm up quite well. You can always wrap up with fleeces & even your waterproofs if you really feel the cold!

Great idea to ramp up the fitness:U. I've seen quite a few people have a less than stellar time because they were not really strong enough, and it is preventable. Where are you based? Hopefully you have some really big hills close by. If close to Sydney, get up to the Blue Mtns as much as possible - in and out of the Blue Gum Forrest with a big pack etc is the way to go. Gym & cycle helps the heart, but you really want those legs strong as well, and stamina is important. Fitness is also a real safety issue, as I'm sure you know.

Jim Carroll
8th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Ern is the wrist ready for the extra workout.

rsser
8th May 2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips and info Ross. We'll be in huts. As for fitness, I've got good leg strength (I work on them 3x a week at the gym cos there's no ACL in one knee) but need to build up leg and cardio stamina. So the car is going to get left behind for everyday trips now in favour of the pushbike. If there's some early snow I'll get up to the Bogong High Plains and just spend a few days skiing the gullies and walking back up.

Last trip over we had 3 days in the Two Thumb range ski touring and just the half day walk in had me embarrassed. That's not gunna happen again.

Jim, the hand therapist says it should be OK with a soft splint on. I've now got a good degrees of rotation and need to concentrate on strengthening the muscles. For the first time in four months it feels normal again :2tsup:

Grumpy John
18th May 2010, 01:35 PM
Don't even think about getting on anything with 2 wheels, you know what happened last time you had a trip planned :D.

rsser
18th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Too late! Had an hour on the pushie yesterday. Luckily no idiot motorbike riders about.