PDA

View Full Version : A little turning a did today.

tea lady
7th May 2010, 11:27 PM
I've discovered the jam chuck.:D Got one with the tough lathe last year but never used it. All the "good" chucks were being used at Knox the other day so I thought I 'd have a go with the jam chuck. Turned down the blanks. Was doing some wacky finials, which I can't talk about right now. Anyway, I like it. You turn the end to go in the chuck slightly tapered and just whack it in. And off you go. Here is something small I turned with the left over piece of wood after I parted the finial. Now I'll have to do a tiny box to go with it.:doh::D

After turning a few wacky finials I had the need to toss out a tiny dish, so I picked up a bit of the pseudoacacia I had. Bowls are so easy and relaxing after "real turning".:rolleyes::D I seems to have the same profile as those huge salad bowls. But it is only about 75mm across.:cool: And I know Cliffy will say the foot ring is too big.:Q

Groggy
7th May 2010, 11:29 PM
[insert voice]

It's too small!

[/normal voice]

What timber is that?

tea lady
7th May 2010, 11:38 PM
[insert voice]

It's too small!

[/normal voice]

What timber is that?The little thingy is actually in a bit of pallet timber. (Laminated with pine for my wacky finials that I can't talk about yet.:D ) It is yellow. :cool: Other bit of the same wood has grey (Not from stain or contamination. ) and some pink as well. I guess its from some tropical place that makes electronic parts that were shipped to the factory that I got the pallets from the back of.:shrug:

The bowl is Pseudoacacia (Robinia I think. :think: ) which is also called Black Locust. Declared weed from China. Grows around cattle yards up in "Jefferson" country. All prickles so the cattle don't eat their shade. Finished in Hard burning oil.:cool:

Cliff Rogers
8th May 2010, 12:07 AM
....And I know Cliffy will say the foot ring is too big.:Q
Foot on that one looks fine. :2tsup:

tea lady
8th May 2010, 12:22 AM
Foot on that one looks fine. :2tsup::doh::D

NeilS
8th May 2010, 11:57 AM
I've discovered the jam chuck....... Anyway, I like it.

Also good for repetitive work like knobs and finger tops.

Ed Reiss
8th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Also good for repetitive work like knobs and finger tops.

Not to mention finials again :doh:...whoops, just did

tea lady
8th May 2010, 09:26 PM
:C I have been informed that the chuck is actually a cup chuck. A jam chuck is big enough to jam a bowl into. Apparently. The same thing only small I reacon.:cool: Jam chucks can be turned out of wood to fit whatever you are doing though. These metal cup chucks are a bit hardier.

So.....cup chuck. :D:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/136455d1273234928t-little-turning-did-today-little-thing1.jpg

NeilS
9th May 2010, 12:10 PM
.......... the chuck is actually a cup chuck.

Yep, it's a cup chuck into which you jam your blanks... whereas a jam chuck is something you make into which you then jam your work.

Hmmm... can't imagine how you could have got so confused, TL .....:roll:

PS - not to be confused with screw cup chucks, in which case you.... :rolleyes:

PPS - Some people use the Morse taper in their headstock as a cup chuck for very small work. Not sure I would want to do that regularly without thinking about that a bit more.... would at least get one of those MT cleaners from Jim to keep it clean for its proper metal to metal use.

rsser
9th May 2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah, you can turn an MT2 on a blank which has length to spare and then have at the rest to your heart's content, between centres. Cheapest mounting method ever.

Can post MT2 dimensions again if folk are interested.

tea lady
10th May 2010, 12:28 AM
PS - not to be confused with screw cup chucks, in which case you.... :rolleyes: I've got one of them too.:cool:

PPS - Some people use the Morse taper in their headstock as a cup chuck for very small work. Not sure I would want to do that regularly without thinking about that a bit more.... would at least get one of those MT cleaners from Jim to keep it clean for its proper metal to metal use.

.....:C And if you want to do something else in the middle of using the M2 cup chuck you have to use your other lathe........:doh: This mere mortal hasn't got another lathe.:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2010, 10:28 AM
Nice lil bowl TL

and the finial looks good

I've got the screw up chuck - that's the one I use when I bugger up the piece and chuck it across the shed :C

artme
10th May 2010, 12:16 PM
You've done another Jack Gibson TL>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Goodonya!!!

steck
10th May 2010, 01:22 PM
Can post MT2 dimensions again if folk are interested.

Yes please!