PDA

View Full Version : Turning tool roll???

nz_carver
8th May 2010, 04:33 PM
Hey all I just got a monster new tool box its for all my turning gear:D
I'd like to know is there anyone that makes tool rools for turning tools??

I know you can get them for carving tools and I want to look after my turning tools like I do my carving tools:B

I dont think I wana say how meny turning tools I have but In the last 14 days I have got 14 or more plus what I had to start with

thanks nz_carver

RETIRED
8th May 2010, 04:37 PM
I have always had them made by an upholsterer or saddle maker.

Use heavier canvas than your carving tool roll.

wheelinround
8th May 2010, 05:42 PM
Yeh right where's the proof no pics of the new tool box or the turning tools :;

Sue made mine for the midi set Dave

I hope its got big draws as a tool roll of turning tools an be very big.:U

HazzaB
8th May 2010, 05:46 PM
Hey There,

Don't we have a sponsor who makes that sort of thing, does Leather tool belts and bags and things, Maka I think ??? :rolleyes:

HazzaB

nz_carver
8th May 2010, 06:55 PM
Say Hello to the tank

I got it the other day at Bunnings SWMBO told me I had to get a new box:D for my turning gear
think it was $89.99

My shopping cart for the 2010 wood show:U

nz_carver
8th May 2010, 07:02 PM
Yeh right where's the proof no pics of the new tool box or the turning tools :;

.:U
:bleh::aerobics:

rsser
9th May 2010, 09:52 AM
I got one from Craft Supplies in the US. Have been pushing a Melb. canvas goods maker to add something similar to his camping & 4WD product range but he's too busy.

The CS job is not a brilliant design but better than nothing.

Groggy
9th May 2010, 10:32 AM
What about Maka (http://www.maka.com.au/), one of the forum sponsors? He might be able to whip something up.

NeilS
9th May 2010, 11:21 AM
Tool rolls are good for standard size turning tools. I've seen 's canvas roll and it's quite swish!..:cool:

For longer turning tools a length of plastic pipe with a fixed cap glued to one end and a screw cap glued to the other works quite well. You can even clamp a handle to it for carrying.

One idea for shorter tools is to adapt an old leather briefcase, like this:

There should be something about standard turning tool size that could be adapted in a similar way.

issatree
9th May 2010, 12:51 PM
Hi nz_carver,
I would need 3 maybe 4 of those Rolls, & that would be costly.

My way is quite easy & really cheap, as you would have most of this at home.

I Found a piece of 10in. Heavy Plastic Pipe, cut & turned a piece of 1in. pine, to fit the inside, for the bottom. So they are looked after, with blade down.
I then pop riveted it in the pipe.

Made a Handle to fit, cut 2 pieces of 3ply half way of the length & fitted them together to make 4 compartments.

I have more tools than I really need, but after 29 years you do accumulate them & one can't help one self.

My holder is FULL.
They are there though, when you need to do a special job.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

hughie
9th May 2010, 07:23 PM
I would need 3 maybe 4 of those Rolls, & that would be costly.
My way is quite easy & really cheap, as you would have most of this at home.
I Found a piece of 10in. Heavy Plastic Pipe, cut & turned a piece of 1in. pine, to fit the inside, for the bottom. So they are looked after, with blade down.
I then pop riveted it in the pipe.

Ditto, I currently have something similar, but a bit more rudimentary. I use a 20kg plastic bucket, handles up.:U

Allen Neighbors
11th May 2010, 10:58 AM
Hey all I just got a monster new tool box its for all my turning gear:D
I'd like to know is there anyone that makes tool rools for turning tools??

I know you can get them for carving tools and I want to look after my turning tools like I do my carving tools:B

I dont think I wana say how meny turning tools I have but In the last 14 days I have got 14 or more plus what I had to start with

thanks nz_carver

My wife made mine out of some heavy cotton duck (canvas-like) material. Just folded one end in about 8 inches, and then sewed that folded end into 2" pockets. I got some old belts and cut the proper length to fold and slip into the pockets. Holds all the tools I carry with me when I travel with Little Vic. Works a treat, and rolls up into a small log to stick in the ute somewhere.
If you talk sweet, someone will make you one for little investment. :2tsup:

Scribbly Gum
11th May 2010, 02:05 PM
My wife made mine out of some heavy cotton duck (canvas-like) material. Just folded one end in about 8 inches, and then sewed that folded end into 2" pockets. I got some old belts and cut the proper length to fold and slip into the pockets. Holds all the tools I carry with me when I travel with Little Vic. Works a treat, and rolls up into a small log to stick in the ute somewhere.
If you talk sweet, someone will make you one for little investment. :2tsup:

I don't keep my turning tools in a roll, but like Allen, I have a roll made from a canvas duck scrap for my brace-bits.
Very cheap and easy to make. Here are some pix.
Cheers from Tele Point
SG

Allen Neighbors
11th May 2010, 02:28 PM
I have a roll made from a canvas duck scrap for my brace-bits. Very cheap and easy to make. Here are some pix. Cheers from Tele Point
SG

Just like mine, SG, with a long end to fold over to protect the bits... er.. a... handles.:D
Thanks for posting the pics.

rsser
11th May 2010, 03:03 PM
This (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Shop_Supplies___Turners_Tool_Roll___tool_roll?Args=)is the CS job I posted about earlier. It really needs flaps on both short sides to stop tools slipping out.

RETIRED
11th May 2010, 05:18 PM
They copied mine!! :wink::rolleyes: You are right Ern, needs flaps on the sides.

issatree
11th May 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi All,
Is it me, or are most of all those tools in those Leather Rolls, All Rusty.
Seems to me it is not the best idea to roll them in Leather, as they all Rust.
Mine most certainly Do Not Rust in my rather large Holder.
Anyway, I don't allow them to rust , as I run them over a Stitched Cloth Wheel, with a bit of Green Rouge on the wheel.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

alexsan
15th May 2010, 03:59 PM
You suppose to use vegetable tanned leather if it will be in contact with knives, tools etc.
Chrome tanned leather will make your tools rust like there's no tomorrow.

NeilS
15th May 2010, 04:33 PM
You suppose to use vegetable tanned leather if it will be in contact with knives, tools etc.
Chrome tanned leather will make your tools rust like there's no tomorrow.

Thanks for that info, Alex, and welcome to the wood turner's forum.