PDA

View Full Version : My first go at Marquetry

AlexS
21st September 2004, 10:09 AM
My first go at marquetry. The pattern is from a stained glass pattern book.

MarkV
21st September 2004, 11:59 AM
Very Nice and Well done :D

TassieKiwi
21st September 2004, 12:08 PM
Wow! I know that I would not have the patience. How many hours?

AlexS
21st September 2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks Mark & Tassie. I did it over about a week, working a couple of hours each night. I thought it would take longer.

I don't know about patience - it's not something I usually have a lot of, but with this, you can see it taking shape. Looking forward to doing some more now.

Wood Borer
22nd September 2004, 10:08 AM
Great work Alex.

I admire people who try new facets of woodwork.

steve 54
22nd September 2004, 08:57 PM
sweet! nice work... i'll have to post a pic of my lizard soon.

pach1962
29th May 2005, 05:26 AM
what method did you use for your marquetry

powderpost
29th May 2005, 10:02 PM
Very nice Alex. About 5 years ago I watched a young fellow doing a frill neck lizard, it was so real the damm thing almost bit me....
Jim

AlexS
29th May 2005, 10:55 PM
I used a method described in a kit from the NSW marquetry guild, called the 'window method', modified slightly. I'll give a brief version of what I did.

1. Trace the design onto a piece of light cardboard (the mask).
2. Cut out the first piece of the design.
3. Lay the mask over the 1st piece of veneer and align the grain. Tape the mask lightly to the veneer and using a scalpel, cut round the edges of the window, through the veneer. Stick the piece you've cut out the the mask.
4. Remove the mask from the remaining veneer and cut out the next piece of the design.
5. Select the next veneer you are going to use and repeat step 3.

Once you've done the whole picture, stick it on the backing.

This is a much abridged version. They usually have a stand at the Sydney WWW show where they sell the starter kits. Don't know about the other states (oops - just noticed you're in UK).

Cheers.

ryanarcher
31st May 2005, 04:12 PM
Damn Alex, you beat me to it! have you thought about doing some inlay in your solid wood furniture projects? I really like this guy's style:

http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/portfolio1/page4.html

-Ryan

AlexS
31st May 2005, 10:01 PM
Damn Alex, you beat me to it! have you thought about doing some inlay in your solid wood furniture projects?
http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/portfolio1/page4.html

-Ryan
That was the original idea of learning to do marquetry, but haven't got round to it yet I'm afraid.

The work at that link is fantastic - amazing detail and a fantastic design.

Learman3
17th June 2005, 10:34 AM
After looking at what you all have done I am a bit shy at getting started. I did a couple of starter kits with my grandfather about 30 years ago and really want to get back in to it. I have a kit that I found when my grand father passed away and have still yet to get started. I'm a bit nervous that I'll mess it all up. :/

AlexS
17th June 2005, 02:29 PM
After looking at what you all have done I am a bit shy at getting started. I did a couple of starter kits with my grandfather about 30 years ago and really want to get back in to it. I have a kit that I found when my grand father passed away and have still yet to get started. I'm a bit nervous that I'll mess it all up. :/

The world's not going to end if you do stuff it up, but you probably won't. Go for it.