PDA

View Full Version : A new verandah in the Lockyer Valley

elvolvorules
8th May 2010, 09:06 PM
I am newly retired and am planning, no, I am going to build a large verandah on the back of our large home here in South East Qld. My plans were prepared by a draftsman, and council approval has been received.

I have a number of books in my library, and completed the Owner Builder Course about 3 years ago. There is a lot I don't know, however, and no doubt I will be an active member of this forum for some time.

The hardwood bearers I will be using are 75mm thick. Now my hand held circular saw cuts about 60mm I think, and I have a number of cuts to make, not to mention the rafters and the joists.

I am using predominantly hardwood. Cutting it is not going to be fun. Can anyone tell me which forum I should use to get information about the equipment I need to cut such thick timbers.

Looking forward to some good advice.

Regards

Alan

munruben
10th May 2010, 09:58 AM
Hi and welcome to the madhouse. Try here with your question (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f76/)

footrot
10th May 2010, 05:18 PM
Alan
Firstly welcome
The other place you could try for advice is the small timber milling section. Might even find a local miller who can supply you with the timber you need
I'm in the middle of a similar job but have the advantage of having a Lucas mill.
As for cutting joinery (halving jions, birdmouths etc) in the timber I'm using the trusty hand saw for things bigger than a powr saw will cut.
Have a great time doing your job

Pat
10th May 2010, 05:29 PM
Or you could use it as an excuse to get one of these toys (http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-tools/sawing/item/slide-compound-saws/ls1214-305mm-slide-compound-mitre-saw?Prodid=150):U

artme
10th May 2010, 07:52 PM
G'day Alan and welcome to the forums.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just follow the advice above and your verandah is sure to come together and look schmick.

elvolvorules
10th May 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the direction, Munruben. I am looking forward to spending time on the forum.

Regards

Alan

Christos
11th May 2010, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the forum.