PDA

View Full Version : Update on the GPW 100 chuck ?

colhu
8th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone

I am thinking about buying one of Gary Pye's GPW100 scroll chucks - they are $20 off at the moment.

Gary Pye Woodturning :: Gary Pye Woodturning - Gen 3 GPW100 Chuck (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445143)

I found a thread from 2007 where a couple of forumites bought them when they first came out and gave them a good report. Does anyone who has one care to comment three years on? I notice the current one is called Gen 3.

cheers, Colin

dai sensei
9th May 2010, 08:32 AM
No problems with mine, works a treat. Just bought some flat jaws and extension jaws that were on special with sets of different sized holders :2tsup:

pommyphil
9th May 2010, 09:04 AM
Really pleased with mine, even the 50mm jaws supplied are superior.

oldiephred
9th May 2010, 09:16 AM
They may not be available "down under" but I just got a new edition BARRACUDA2. For $200 I have been more than pleased with the value. Chuck with complete set of jaws in a storage case. Yes they are made offshore but what isn't these days.:2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
9th May 2010, 09:48 AM
Do a search on GPW 110 for my initial and longer term evaluation of that model. Only diff appears to be size.

blackwoods
9th May 2010, 07:41 PM
Colin,
I borrowed one of the GPW chucks at the Horsham Ewe Turn last weekend. The chuck seemed to be very good quality and did the job well but if I owned one it would drive me around the bend tigtening the chuck with the square key it came with.
I am used to the Vicmarc chucks and am happy to pay the extra for the the brand and hex key tightening.
Barry

Brisruss
9th May 2010, 08:06 PM
I am happy with mine. It is not the Gen 3 though. I brought the kit which I thought was good value.

They are good to do business with as well.

Cheers,
Russ

rsser
9th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Re Barry's post and my thread on the 110, it tightens in the 'right' direction. You just get a cheap T-handled key and grind a bit off the corners.

cultana
11th May 2010, 02:58 AM
They may not be available "down under" but I just got a new edition BARRACUDA2. For $200 I have been more than pleased with the value. Chuck with complete set of jaws in a storage case. Yes they are made offshore but what isn't these days.:2tsup::2tsup:

May be possible via Amazon.com as they sell PSI gear or direct from PSI. Though PSI does have a no shipping outside US of equipment.

I looked at some of teh PSI stuff on their web and it looked interesting but they don't make a spindle adaptor that suits my lathe so its all a waste. :(