PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Rhys_holland
9th May 2010, 01:46 PM
Hey all im new to the forum and to the art of turning, i received an old lathe from my grandfather a few months ago it is the oldest peice of machenery i have ever seen and after a few fixeruppers, new motor new bolts new swictch and belt, and after many mediocere pieces i have finally came up with something i am truly happy its made with African Dante and houn pine inserts with a stone inlay made from Chrysocolla critiques welcome. sory about the quality of the photos

rsser
9th May 2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Rhys.

That's a clever piece of work.

Post a pic of your heirloom lathe?

mkypenturner
9th May 2010, 02:24 PM
welcome to the forum
thats a great idea instead of using numbers
yep i agree need to see pics of your lathe it may be old but sounds like you have given it a bloody good service to get it running again

troy

Rhys_holland
9th May 2010, 06:05 PM
and heres the the heirloom compleate with non centering 4 jaw chuck

TTIT
9th May 2010, 11:37 PM
The lathe doesn't look that bad - certainly leagues ahead of what I started with :o.Welcome to the forum and nice job on the clock :2tsup:

Texian
10th May 2010, 07:32 AM
Ohmigawd it's the ubiquitous single tube Craftsman. Manufacturer must have sold a million of these under a dozen brand names. I had one just like it for about 20 years and did some really excellent pieces on it (he said modestly). It's most outstanding shortcoming was the very high minimum speed. Rhys, looks like yours has a five sheave pulley where mine had only four, so your minimum speed is probably a bit lower than mine was.

Nice clock!

Rum Pig
10th May 2010, 08:54 AM
Nice clock I like the inserts well done:2tsup:

The good thing about lathes is no matter how old they get still remember how to spin:D
Nice lathe and welcome to the addiction:;

oldiephred
10th May 2010, 09:41 AM
Nice work. Those 4 independent jaw chucks probably have some very good uses other than testing ones patience and smashing knuckles but you are a brave person to use it a lot.:2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2010, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the Forum

Good looking clock

Must feel great to be working on your granddads lathe

Ed Reiss
10th May 2010, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the turning forum, Rhys :D The clocks you've done are an excellent turning project.

Now that the turning bug has bitten, bowls are sure to follow!!

artme
10th May 2010, 12:10 PM
G'day Rhys and welcome to the vortex!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

They are good simple pieces. Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rhys_holland
10th May 2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the turning forum, Rhys :D The clocks you've done are an excellent turning project.

Now that the turning bug has bitten, bowls are sure to follow!!

I have tried my hand at a few bowls but they started to build up around the house so a few more clocks then mayby some salt and pepper grinders, and pens are great because the ones that dont get nicked dont take up too much room

steck
10th May 2010, 01:16 PM
African Dante and houn pine inserts with a stone inlay made from Chrysocolla
Nice clock Rhys.
I am impressed with the stone inlay. It really sets off the 2 timbers well. How did you do that?

tea lady
10th May 2010, 01:40 PM
Welcome the the Forum Rhys. Well done with the clock.:cool:

Rhys_holland
10th May 2010, 02:14 PM
Nice clock Rhys.
I am impressed with the stone inlay. It really sets off the 2 timbers well. How did you do that?

i bought 2 sizes of crushed stone from pops shed Pop's Shed Stone Inlay (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Sub_Categories.aspx?Category=33) one was abous 2mm and the other they call flour cut a hole with a 50 mm spade bit about 8 mm deep and tiped the bigger stone in then poured ca glue on top and waited to dry then power sand with silica carbide paper 60 grit and repeat untill all holes are filled then used the powder in the same way and sanded through all the grits to 1000 then eeewax then friction pollish came up a treat the stone is still a little rough but its my first attempt and it wasnt anywhere near as hard as i thought it would be about 30 mins to insert stones and finnish sanding to 60 grit then a couple of hours to hand sand the rest pops shed have a detaild artical on how to do it if you are intrested

old pete
10th May 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi Rhys,

Welcome to the forum. I can remember clearly when there were thousands of those lathes as per your image in circulation then they just seemed to disappear or be replaced by a version with a bed made from 75 x 75 mm RHS set on its corner ie diamond shaped in end elevation. Now they too seem to have gone the way of their predecessor!

Good job on the turnings for a newbie; keep it up and lets see some distinct definition between the profiles at the transition point from one to the other.

I'd caution you on the potential hazard of using that engineering chucks for wood turning. They aren't designed for that purpose and those great projecting jaws are a frightful hazard when used in close quarters with hand held tooling:no: or when sanding or polishing. I've got two under my bench that I acquired with a 2nd hand wood turning lathe: must be 15 years ago and I got that lathe from a secondary school:o:o. I've never used them: no not once.

Cheers Old Pete

Rhys_holland
10th May 2010, 08:47 PM
yes ive had a few brused knuckles already mainly from sanding but ive orded a Gen 3 GPW100 Deluxe Chuck Set from (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107445144)
from gpw and hopfully it will save a bit of time and pain

Allen Neighbors
11th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Nice Clock! Good show on the lathe... Grandpa's... priceless!!
You'll be glad you got the new chuck!!

Farnk
11th May 2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, nice work on the clock.
You'll find a wealth of info and support from everyone here.

I stopped by Pop's Shed a few weeks ago. Not a bad setup!
Always good to see another woodturning croydonite!