PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool Nova Titan Chuck

Pat
9th May 2010, 04:41 PM
Does anyone sell this beastie (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Titan/titan_chuck.htm)in Australia anymore?

wheelinround
9th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Tried Trend Pat??

Try This Mod http://www.ptms.com.au/cgi-bin/PTMstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=Nova-Titan

rsser
9th May 2010, 05:58 PM
Gary Pye Woodturning :: Gary Pye Woodturning - Supanova Titan Companion (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107219867)

Great bit of kit.

Grant Mack
10th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Gary Pye Woodturning :: Gary Pye Woodturning - Supanova Titan Companion (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107219867)

Great bit of kit.
I have been trying to buy one of these for the last couple of years.
Even though Teknatool still have them on their site and I have scoured the country (Australia), I have only drawn dead ends.
So I went and brought a Vicmarc 120 which meant different jaw sets and some duplication of my Supernova 2 jaws. But nice chuck!
And then I did finally find a couple of months ago the superseded Supernova Deluxe which is the Titan but with only the two mounting hole and not the three of the Titan Same body diameter though. Gives that bigger holding capabilities than the SN2 and use all the same jaw sets.
Pity I didn't find it before the V120!
So, good luck with the Titan hunt.
Regards
Grant MacKinnon

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2010, 04:10 PM
Good luck Pat

I tried Gasweld Penrith for you but no luck
I don't know if other gasweld shops sold nova stuff

Pat
10th May 2010, 05:11 PM
I've sent a email to Teknatool . . . I have a very vague recollection of it being withdrawn for sale or production stopped due to the move to China.

I know I can sidle up to Vicmarc and get a vm120 or 150 . . . but I have 5 Nova chucks and a lot of jaws. Contrary to popular belief, I do not have a bottemless Tool fund. Someone blew that to smithereens in December & January :U

So I don't want to fork out a lot of pancakes on one chuck that is not compatible with the rest of my chucks and jaws.

wheelinround
10th May 2010, 05:42 PM
Ring Gary Pye as Ern says

or by their GPW 110 they take Nova jaws. or check out the one from H&F's

wheelinround
10th May 2010, 06:28 PM
Here you go Pat a decent chuck Patriot Chuck (http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/patriotchuck.htm)

Jim Carroll
10th May 2010, 06:32 PM
Pat I have a Titan with a set of the Titan power grip jaws on, this has the 3 screw jaw slides which are compatible with all the other nova jaws.

You can have them for $250.00 + postage

I have upgraded all my larger gear to the VM120 and 150 so these are surplus.

Pat
10th May 2010, 06:50 PM
Pat I have a Titan with a set of the Titan power grip jaws on, this has the 3 screw jaw slides which are compatible with all the other nova jaws.

You can have them for $250.00 + postage

I have upgraded all my larger gear to the VM120 and 150 so these are surplus.

I'll take it!!!!!!!

I'll PM you my details and you can pm your's :U

Move over Nick, I am the tool slut!:;

wheelinround
10th May 2010, 06:55 PM
:lolabove: Poor Pat but Debbie will be :D and taking more :photo2: with her new gear while Pat is doing more OT

Jim Carroll
10th May 2010, 07:48 PM
I'll take it!!!!!!!

I'll PM you my details and you can pm your's :U

Move over Nick, I am the tool slut!:;

SOLD :2tsup:

RETIRED
10th May 2010, 08:11 PM
Bet you wish it was that easy all the time.:D

Sawdust Maker
10th May 2010, 08:46 PM
Jim

do you have any more? :wink:

Jim Carroll
10th May 2010, 09:46 PM
No sorry all gone.

rsser
10th May 2010, 09:59 PM
Trend Timbers still have the Titan Powergrips listed on their website, FWIW.

These guys still list the Titan + Powergrips but I wouldn't hold my breath: Power Tools & Machinery Sales - TEKNATOOL Nova Titan Chuck (http://www.ptms.com.au/cgi-bin/PTMstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=Nova-Titan)

Pat
11th May 2010, 12:44 PM
Well I got an reply from Teknatool and I was right, the Titan has been withdrawn from sale for "product review". Currently unavailable in all markets.

rsser
11th May 2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, I had a product dogalogue at least two years old saying it was no longer made and the same stuff about a review. So the only stock will be old stock.

wheelinround
11th May 2010, 02:04 PM
Pat why wouldn't a SuperNova2 do ? I know you have one

I guess if a manufacturer got savy and made a Good Aussie made big chuck some would beat a path to the door till it was sold off to China:roll:

rsser
11th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Ray, if you look at the Teknatool website there are some useful indications of what size chuck can handle what size blanks.

And if you look at the Vicmarc website you'll see that 'we' make the 120 and 150 here and like all VM stuff they're fine pieces of kit.

And again if you look at the Vermec site you'll see a nice bare chuck that will take VM120 and 140 jaws.

So there's no shortage of local options. The bikkies are not insignificant of course.

wheelinround
11th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Ern I had not seen this PDF (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf) previously a Vermec Chuck that will take "Fits largest range of accessories on the market today including Vicmarc VM90 & VM100,
Teknatool, and ‘look-alike’ versions of these chucks"

I'll have to keep an eye open at the SWWS for these.

It doesn't rate it though as for turning weight or diameter.

I have know blokes of old would have grabbed an old engineers chuck or face plate and use those.

rsser
11th May 2010, 03:05 PM
Now Ray, extract the digit and do a proper search of the Vermec website.

Pat
11th May 2010, 05:05 PM
Ray, I have 4 SN2's and a set of SN2 Power Grip Jaws and find for larger turnings . . . >500mm or >10Kg a very light hand is required or it gets interesting very quickly:U

At the wood club I can use the VM 140, which is a very sold piece of kit. As noted above, the reasons I didn't get a VM120 or 150 are that I have all Teknatool chucks and jaws and didn't want to change if I didn't have too. I like the VM's but . . . I like the Teknatools as well.

rsser
11th May 2010, 05:19 PM
Ray only reads posts, not threads.

wheelinround
11th May 2010, 05:51 PM
Nice to see your dedication to a product Pat :2tsup: you have been lucky to pick up what you wanted.

As in the above PDF Pat

Ern depends on the thread and post

Pat
11th May 2010, 06:01 PM
Ray, Vermec was on the list to investigate further, but Jim had one to offload. I still intend to get the revolving centre, one day:U I suppose I just have to get over the lack of Touchy feely of the products and rely on the recommendations of you lot of :tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut: :q

rsser
11th May 2010, 07:14 PM
Ray, tell me how it depends on the thread and post.

NeilS
12th May 2010, 12:28 AM
Well I got an reply from Teknatool and I was right, the Titan has been withdrawn from sale for "product review". Currently unavailable in all markets.

The Deluxe is a good chuck and I was sorry to see it replaced with the Titan, which I didn't see as having any great advantages over the Deluxe. Now they have withdrawn the Titan....:doh:

Unless Teknatool brings out a replacement 5" chuck with some decent sized jaws to match they will be relegating themselves to one end of the chuck market. The 130mm jaws (their largest) on the SN2 is a bit of a stretch and they have no jaws larger than that.

The VM jaws are currently the only option above 130mm.

hughie
12th May 2010, 12:54 AM
The Deluxe is a good chuck and I was sorry to see it replaced with the Titan, which I didn't see as having any great advantages over the Deluxe. Now they have withdrawn the Titan....:doh:I have three of the old deluxe 5" chucks, Had I known that they were being phased out I would have bought as many as I could at the time.

Reading up on the Titan it seemed to me to be a re-badged 5" SN, capacities were similar and I also could not see any great advantages over the Deluxe.:no:

The 5" chucks are my work horses, according to Teknatool they will swing a 29" chunk of timber. The rest of my chucks are 100mm SN2 they are good but are only used for light work finishing and so on.

Because I started out with SN chucks I have not considered buying a different make to date.This is not a judgment on any other chuck, there are several on the market that would do me very well. Its all down to need [ perceived anyway :U ] and budget etc.

Grant Mack
12th May 2010, 09:55 PM
Pat,
Good to know that you got a Titan.
The Supernova Deluxe according to Teknatool's website was released in the UK market only so feel lucky to have got one when I couldn't get a Titan for love or money.
Silly thing is though that I can still buy the big Titan jaws here in WA but not the chuck to fit them!
That is the problem of living in the largest island in the world and the smallest continent- the isolation of distance in being able to do the "Touchy feely" before committing $'s.
Out of ignorance of knowledge of Australian geography may I ask where is "Towradgi"
Regards to all
Grant MacKinnon

Jim Carroll
12th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Google maps Towradgi (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Towradgi&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=39.046263,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Towradgi+New+South+Wales&ll=-34.384813,150.90683&spn=0.282766,0.617294&z=11)

Pat
12th May 2010, 10:26 PM
As Jim, puts it, let google be your friend. I am on the otherside of the world, on the East coast. 10 minute walk from the beach:;

Grant Mack
12th May 2010, 11:01 PM
So it is a suburb and not a Country.
Jeeze, could start an East\West war here!
Cheers
Grant MacK

Sawdust Maker
13th May 2010, 10:26 PM
does Towradgi actually exist :D:p

and have there been any comments or thoughts on the vermec chuck? I've looked at the specs and thought one would be an option but don't have the approval of the exchequer at the moment. I liked the idea that it would take both tecknatool and vicmarc jaws

Pat
14th May 2010, 12:06 AM
does Towradgi actually exist :D:p

and have there been any comments or thoughts on the vermec chuck? I've looked at the specs and thought one would be an option but don't have the approval of the exchequer at the moment. I liked the idea that it would take both tecknatool and vicmarc jaws

Only in my imagination . . . keeps me safe from the likes of you:U

The Vermec conundrum. I've heard a lot of positives about all the stuff from Vermec, but the touchy feely side of me still wants to compare them to my SN2's and soon to be Titan. Although with a G3, 4 SN 2's and the Titan, I don't think that I'll need another chuck soon.

Pat
14th May 2010, 09:30 AM
Well the beast arrived! It's a heavy thing:;

NeilS
14th May 2010, 10:56 AM
Well the beast arrived! It's a heavy thing:;

Yep, any of the 5" chucks are serious bits of gear. Ideal for larger work. Suddenly the SN2s will look....well, lightweight. Which makes them the ideal chuck for medium size work, no need to lug a heavier chuck around than is needed for the job.

rsser
14th May 2010, 11:40 AM
Good score Pat, and ++ to Jim for helping out.

The Nova 75mm bowl jaws would also be a good match, if you can find a F&T to turn the faces down to get rid of the rounded over edges.

wheelinround
14th May 2010, 12:04 PM
Now where's the bit your going to turn with it :U

Looks like enough chairs for a BBQ and show Pat :;

Sawdust Maker
14th May 2010, 10:59 PM
fairly confronting photo

i see from the background that your shed is becoming as tidy as mine :o

NeilS
15th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Yep, any of the 5" chucks are serious bits of gear. Ideal for larger work. Suddenly the SN2s will look....well, lightweight. Which makes them the ideal chuck for medium size work, no need to lug a heavier chuck around than is needed for the job.

Thinking more about the relative size and weight of the 5" and 4" chucks, when I was around at my workshop yesterday I took a pic of the following chucks, in order:

VM 120 - 5"
SN Deluxe - 5"
SN2 - 4"
VM90 - 4"
Nova (look alike) - 4"

Didn't weigh them, but the increase in weight is at least proportional to the increase in size.

Shared in case this comparison is of use to someone other than Pat, who looks to be nicely setup now with a very nice set of chucks up to 130mm jaw size.

rsser
15th May 2010, 11:47 AM
Nice stack there Neil!

One of the plusses with the Titan is that it's fairly narrow (along the spindle) so for folk with swivel head lathes it makes less demand on banjo length and/or a bolt-on outrigger.

NeilS
15th May 2010, 04:51 PM
One of the plusses with the Titan is that it's fairly narrow (along the spindle) so for folk with swivel head lathes it makes less demand on banjo length and/or a bolt-on outrigger.

And, if you need it to be longer (eg for remounting a deep bowl on the inside) you acn always use the Vermec Spindle Extension (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/spindleextension.pdf).