PDA

View Full Version : What's the collective noun for teapots? One for TL

rsser
11th May 2010, 06:06 AM
Click me (http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2010/pop/details/index.htm)

underfoot
11th May 2010, 06:30 AM
a cosy :rolleyes:

mkypenturner
11th May 2010, 06:48 AM
ill leave that for tea lady but man they are amazing
troy

mic-d
11th May 2010, 07:59 AM
A. mazing

yep, or a draw? :unsure:

Woodwould
11th May 2010, 08:39 AM
A fabulous selection... a cabinet of teapots?

springwater
11th May 2010, 08:41 AM
a Quentin :;

Andy Mac
11th May 2010, 09:39 AM
I thinks its a natter of teapots:)

Bob38S
11th May 2010, 10:45 AM
A brew.

NeilS
11th May 2010, 03:15 PM
A pod.... all those spouts.

Yeah, seen that very nice pod.

Waldo
11th May 2010, 03:51 PM
Potty?

Potting Mad?

:D

wally peat
11th May 2010, 03:57 PM
Definitely a terpsichore of teapots. Now if you can just image the gallery closing for the night, and as the security guard locks the door and turns out the lights, all the teapots begin to dance..........

chippy 71
11th May 2010, 04:01 PM
Click me (http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2010/pop/details/index.htm)

An incredible collection there Ern, I am sure there would be one or two that TL would like.:rolleyes: :D

Colin.

watson
11th May 2010, 04:49 PM
Or is it an old Native American word....a Tea Pee??

Tony Morton
11th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Or Pot-teees

Tony

ian
11th May 2010, 06:15 PM
There's too many there for a "cosy" or a "natter"
how about a "bex" or is that too obtuse?

or how about a "taninery"

tea lady
11th May 2010, 06:36 PM
:D

Well! All those teapots are a "useless" of teapots.:rolleyes: May as well make them out of chocolate. :doh: :think: Although, I guess in this age of tea bags, I have to admit that my teapots don't get used that much. So they may as well be made of wood.:C And full of holes, and have stupid spouts, and the lids glued on. :D

They do look good though don't they. I must go now and have a closer look.:pi:

:U

tea lady
11th May 2010, 06:40 PM
I like this one.:cool: I could make it out of clay I reckon. :D

http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2010/pop/details/copeland_std.jpg

rsser
11th May 2010, 07:23 PM
A 'joy of responses' in any case.

Cuppa tea, a Bex and a good lie down was mother's medicine after the gin and the valium eras. Just as bad; the Bex killed the kidneys or somesuch. Valium withdrawal produced hallucinations.

Any case, damn amazing what turners can do, with resort to little more than wood and a bit of ingenuity.

tea lady
11th May 2010, 08:10 PM

Cuppa tea, a Bex and a good lie down was mother's medicine after the gin and the valium eras. Just as bad; the Bex killed the kidneys or somesuch. Valium withdrawal produced hallucinations.

Any case, damn amazing what turners can do, with resort to little more than wood and a bit of ingenuity.:think: Maybe the turners have been having Valium withdrawals too.:D

Texian
12th May 2010, 12:12 AM
A gaggle of teapots? What's a "Bex"? Or maybe a giggle of teapots? Some are funny looking.

watson
12th May 2010, 12:22 AM
A Bex was one of those drugs that are no longer available....maybe asprin or similar either in powder or tablet form.
Stressed Housewives of that era were advise by Radio and later TV to have a Bex and a "good lie down".
Funny Stuff.....and we still remember it :duh:

Texian
12th May 2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks Noel.

cultana
12th May 2010, 01:11 AM
A Bex was one of those drugs that are no longer available....maybe asprin or similar either in powder or tablet form.
Stressed Housewives of that era were advise by Radio and later TV to have a Bex and a "good lie down".
Funny Stuff.....and we still remember it :duh:

You forgot the Bex, or was it the Aspro, powers you could get at the bar before going home..

ian
12th May 2010, 01:18 AM
I was thinking of the adage "have a cup of tea and a bex ..."

when I next see him, I'll ask the pharmarist what the active ingredient was.

Chesand
12th May 2010, 07:35 AM
The original Bex contained Aspirin, Phenacetin and Caffeine. This combination caused kidney damage. The Phenacetin was removed in later versions and eventually Bex was discontinued.
Phenacetin is no longer used and has been replaced by Paracetamol (Panadol) which is much safer.
My paternal grandmother used to swallow Bex regularly and eventually died from kidney damage.

Chesand
12th May 2010, 07:36 AM
I was thinking of the adage "have a cup of tea and a bex ..."

when I next see him, I'll ask the pharmarist what the active ingredient was.

Younger pharmacists probably will not know about Bex

chippy 71
12th May 2010, 09:16 AM

Any case, damn amazing what turners can do, with resort to little more than wood and a bit of ingenuity.

And don't forget Vincent's APC. Years ago I used to work with a chap who swallowed them dry, :oo: goodness knows what that did to his insides.

Colin.

ian
13th May 2010, 12:10 AM
Younger pharmacists probably will not know about Bextrue, but the one I intend asking is well over 80

watson
13th May 2010, 09:48 AM
During my mispent youth we discovered that if you opened a Vincent Powder, creased the paper, then blew the powder along the crease towards a lighted match.....whoosh!! Great Balls of Fire!!
Wonder what was in that?

Sorry Ern, right off topic.

Chesand
13th May 2010, 10:18 AM
During my mispent youth we discovered that if you opened a Vincent Powder, creased the paper, then blew the powder along the crease towards a lighted match.....whoosh!! Great Balls of Fire!!
Wonder what was in that?

Sorry Ern, right off topic.

Vincents contained the same ingredients as Bex but I cannot work out why you got the great balls of fire.
My chemistry was long ago - longer than I care to remember

rsser
13th May 2010, 10:49 AM
During my misspent youth we experimented with carbide bombs.

Noel, not sure what the topic actually was ;-}

DavidG
13th May 2010, 11:04 AM
most powders contained a base of corn flour or similar. This burns when in fine dust form.

Alastair
13th May 2010, 05:17 PM
most powders contained a base of corn flour or similar. This burns when in fine dust form.
Shades of your dust explosion:D

chippy 71
13th May 2010, 05:25 PM
During my misspent youth we experimented with carbide bombs.

Noel, not sure what the topic actually was ;-}

During my misspent youth we experimented with those rubber things filled with water.:D

Now I have lost track of the topic.:rolleyes:

Colin.

Blue-deviled
13th May 2010, 05:47 PM
a pouring of teapots?

watson
13th May 2010, 05:49 PM
I hope it never stops.......when I was about 62...I had my first really really good water rocket launch that actually went far enough "up" so that you couldn't see it until the parachute deployed.

Ah Haa..thanks Blue-devilled..now we remember what the topic was.

Chesand
13th May 2010, 06:07 PM
Not sure whether those powders would have needed anything other than the active ingredients as they could be ground into a fine powder if done properly. DAMHIK

Off on the side track again.

NeilS
13th May 2010, 07:08 PM
Shades of your dust explosion:D

So DavidG, you really did have a dust explosion? Always want to know of someone who actually had one. And, here I was starting to think it just happened once somewhere, but nobody quite knew where and when.

johmar
13th May 2010, 07:46 PM
Alright, i'll try a few.

a "spout of teapouts:
a " tannin of teapots"

nb Google search, just because I'm like that, showed, just about the first pots (i mean post) " a cosy of teapots", I'm not good enough to get out of this reply thingee and give the poster cred. So Sorry.

John

johmar
13th May 2010, 07:48 PM

Der, it is Underfoot is on the ball

John

springwater
13th May 2010, 08:36 PM
I hope it never stops.......when I was about 62...I had my first really really good water rocket launch that actually went far enough "up" so that you couldn't see it until the parachute deployed.

Ah Haa..thanks Blue-devilled..now we remember what the topic was.

Off topic alert :rolleyes:

Noel, here's something to think about when your 100 :U

YouTube - Water rocket man

tea lady
13th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Teapots don't cause explosions.:D

springwater
13th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Teapots don't cause explosions.:D

Is this off topic :?

YouTube - Destroyed in Seconds- Beached Whale Explosion

Blue-deviled
13th May 2010, 11:26 PM
Is this off topic :?

YouTube - Destroyed in Seconds- Beached Whale Explosion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkZottYDpEE)
quite... and given the attention span of the original intended audience, it is a surprisingly long clip!

a diuretic of teapots......

tea lady
14th May 2010, 12:00 AM
You are not as OT as you thought guys.:oo:

Operation Teapot. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Teapot)

tea lady
14th May 2010, 12:02 AM
But wait! There's s'pose to be a big karboom!:D

YouTube - AOL Brand New Britain: Exploding the Myth - Teapot

Alastair
14th May 2010, 10:57 AM
So DavidG, you really did have a dust explosion? Always want to know of someone who actually had one. And, here I was starting to think it just happened once somewhere, but nobody new quite knew where and when.

This was more in the line of your standard mythical dust explosion, rather than specifically David.............:D

However, ........... David, tell us about your dust explosion?:oo:

rsser
14th May 2010, 11:43 AM
K, that's it. TL, I'm going back to those disgusting tea bags.

artme
14th May 2010, 04:11 PM
Why is this here, in the woodturning forum?:?:?:?

Seems to me we should al decamp to another area and have a full blown :D discussion on plurals.

On the subject of Bex and Vincents, I once worked with a fellow who would come to work in the morning and the first thing he did was swallow a Bex with a cup of water. It was only then that his hands stopped shaking!

rsser
14th May 2010, 04:24 PM
Why is this here, in the woodturning forum?:?:?:?

Maybe cos they're turned out of wood?

artme
14th May 2010, 05:40 PM
OK.

I vote we shift to Nothing at all to do with ww" and have go at this and other plurals ther. Interesting topic, I think. Willstart thread now.

watson
14th May 2010, 05:46 PM
Bugger...I'll never find it now

tea lady
14th May 2010, 07:49 PM
Bugger...I'll never find it now

Great work guys. I think we lost him at the last corner.:D

ian
14th May 2010, 10:36 PM
Not sure whether those powders would have needed anything other than the active ingredients as they could be ground into a fine powder if done properly. DAMHIK

Off on the side track again.continuing down the track ...

typically the trouble with the active ingredients in something like Bex or Vicents or even panadol is how little "active" ingredient you actually need. So you add something inoxious like corn flour to "bulk" the product up to a size deemed "reasonable" by the purchaser