PDA

View Full Version : Joinery as it was.

Tisorp
11th May 2010, 10:19 PM
Woodworkers with an interest in german joinery techniques from a bygone age may well find interest here (http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,693600,00.html) .

According to the article in the magazine "Der Spiegel" archeologists have dated the wood (oak) to 5102 BC.
The joinery itself is in the lower part of a well and has been preserved in alkaline, oxygen free groundwater for the past 7000 years.

Darksiders desirous of really getting back to basics can browse here (http://www.google.com.au/images?q=stone+age+tools+pictures&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=9wnpS-XHOoqUkAWrt6T9Cg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQsAQwAA)
Cheers, Jeff

Claw Hama
11th May 2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks Tisorp
I have ordered the full set of Neolithic stone tools for my workshop, great links, wish I could read German. That must have been very hight tech for 5000BC

artme
12th May 2010, 08:00 AM
:o Fascinating!!.

And I thought they used rope to join timber until the invention of the Domino.:D:D

Christos
12th May 2010, 08:28 AM
Interesting find. :U

I have ordered the full set of Neolithic stone tools for my workshop,

Can not seem to find them are they listed in Carba-Stone?

AlexS
12th May 2010, 08:59 AM
Interesting, Tisorp. Babelfish does a reasonable job of translating it, but what is a Holznagel?

More_Firewood
12th May 2010, 09:17 AM
according to my dictionary it is a dowel - literally a wooden nail.

andrew

Tisorp
12th May 2010, 11:41 AM
Interesting, Tisorp. Babelfish does a reasonable job of translating it, but what is a Holznagel?

Holznagel = (literally) "wooden nail". Older english terms for this are: nog and trenail or treenail.
According to my Concise Oxford Dictionary:
Nog = (in this context) "a small block or peg of wood."
Trenail / treenail = "a hard wooden pin for securing timbers etc."

Cheers, Jeff

AlexS
12th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks - that makes sense.

artme
12th May 2010, 03:57 PM
Hence "noggins" as in building frames and ones head????

joe greiner
12th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Hence "noggins" as in building frames and ones head????
As good a guess as any other, and probably better than most. My dictionary indicates "Origin unknown" for nog, egg nog, and noggin; as of 1973.

Cheers,
Joe

Groggy
12th May 2010, 08:47 PM
My guess is that the term nogging came from the German 'knagge' meaning knot. The knotty pieces were used as cross bracing but weren't used in structural pieces as they weren't strong enough.

nog[2]
/nog/.
noun
1. a brick-shaped piece of wood built into a wall, especially as a hold for nails.
2. any wooden peg, pin, or block.
verb, past tense and past participle nogged; present participle nogging.
verb (t)
3. to fill in (a wall, etc.) with brickwork.
verb (i)
4. to construct nogging.
[origin uncertain; ? variant of obsolete knag, Middle English knagge spur, peg]

knag
/nag/.
noun
1. a knot in wood.
2. the base of a branch.
[Middle English knag(g)e, related to German Knagge knot, peg; cleat]

nogging
/'noging/.
noun
1. the brick filling to a wooden-framed partition.
2. the horizontal short timbers in stud positions, used to stiffen the vertical members of a framed partition.
Also, noggin.
[nog[2] + -g- + -ing[1]]