PDA

View Full Version : CT Tomoe Chokokuto carving chisel info/maker?

lewisa88
11th May 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi all,
I bought the small Tomoe Chokokuto (http://www.carbatec.com.au/japanese-tomoe-chokokuto-carving-chisel-set_c12460) carving chisel set from Carba-tec some time ago now and have only really just got around to putting them through their paces, and I must say that I am astonished at how good they are(Granted, they are expensive).

I use them as my smaller detailed carvers, and the Pfeil carving chisels as my larger ones. I find the Pfeils dull far too quickly and i have chipped one of them which annoys me to the hilt, seeing as i was doing with them what was intended, and not at all brutally. I have worked the Tomoe Chokokuto's as hard and they take far longer to dull(far, far longer!) and haven't even looked like chipping, even when lazily using them somewhat inappropriately(you know, when the profile you need isn't within arms reach so you just persevere with the one you have...sshhh!)

So i was wondering if anyone here might know any info on the maker(I apologise for my ignorance if Tomoe Chokokuto is the maker! Carbatec is a little vague) and if you also know where abouts I might be able to get hold of other chisels by the same maker, larger carvers, bench chisels even.

Regards,

Lewis Allen