PDA

View Full Version : Australian Scroll Saw Patterns

Tikki
21st September 2004, 10:50 PM
Hi all
I posted a reply to Bruce under a different heading, but perhaps I should have started a new subject (new at this!!). I will have available in approx 2 weeks a book of Aussie theme SS patterns I intended to market locally, but looking at this forum it seems there is an increasing number of scrollers interstate also in need of something more than the US books can give us. Any scrollers out there interested in some good Aussie designs may like to express their interest on this forum and I could mail interstate.
Regards
Tikki

Dusty Workshop
22nd September 2004, 01:51 AM
I am interested in seeing your book.

Dusty

oges
22nd September 2004, 10:06 AM
Just posting my interest in your book here aswell.

Tikki
22nd September 2004, 10:45 AM
To Dusty Workshop
Have sent you a Private Message

To Brett
Will be in touch in a couple of weeks

Regards
Tikki

John Saxton
22nd September 2004, 06:02 PM
Posting an interest as well Tikki.

Cheers :)

fxst
22nd September 2004, 10:29 PM
Im also interested
any chance of a sample that we can judge by??
Pete

Tikki
23rd September 2004, 01:00 PM
Hi to Johnno and Pete - thanks for your responses. Pete, I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to ask for an example! Now I have to learn to post pics - forgive me if I stuff it up, but here goes .... Don't know how well it will turn out. It's one of the pages from the book. The patterns range from easy cut to more complex (one of them I've named "all day sucker", just lucky I have a friend to do my test cutting) They are all silhouette style patterns suitable for plaques, adding clocks, picture frame cutouts, etc - some look wonderful mounted on contrasting timber backers or with colour applied to the backer (the flowers look great like this). Hope you like the koala.
Regards
Tikki
PS Tried to insert the pic - file too large - will try again shortly

Tikki
23rd September 2004, 02:01 PM
Have tried everything! Grrrrr! Can someone please tell me how to reduce a 654kb file to 100kb to put on this forum??
Regards
Tikki

Ankali
23rd September 2004, 03:59 PM
Tikki

Definitely interested!

Ankali

echnidna
23rd September 2004, 05:16 PM
posting a possible interest also.

Tikki
23rd September 2004, 06:13 PM
Think I've got it!! The files for the pattern book range from 600-1300kb, not easy to reduce to 100. This will not be pretty though - digital camera photo. Hope you get the idea.

Regards

Tikki

fxst
23rd September 2004, 11:25 PM
sorry putting u to all that trouble :D
but it gives us an idea of what ur up to and now you have learned a new thing too LOL
still interested in the book please keep us all updated :)
Pete

barnsey
23rd September 2004, 11:32 PM
Hi Tikki and welcome,

Just registering an interest and also that of a friend of mine that is into Pyrography. We've done some collaborative work and she is very artistic so she may be able to contribute because I often find the scroll patterns can be a little bland.

FWIW

Jamie

oges
23rd September 2004, 11:57 PM
Nice example Tikki

Tikki
24th September 2004, 12:07 AM
Ankali and Bob - thanks for your interest.

Pete - guess we're never too old to learn, but I'd much rather be using the time to get my brand new drum sander out of it's box than fight with computers!!

Jamie - thanks for your reply, and maybe your friend and I could get together for pattern book no 2 !!?? These patterns started out being designed for a friend looking for aussie stuff, then others saw them and wanted them, so it was time to expand the collection and share. Intarsia is my thing, quite frankly fretwork bores me stupid (sorry guys). But I do think our craft is sadly lacking our own identity (I bought expensive American books for 1 or 2 patterns when I started out and now do all my own Aussie intarsia designs). The fretwork designs in my book are a mixture of bland and complex - had to appeal to everyone - learners, intermediate, those who want to add clocks, etc. If anyone has a specific design in mind, run it by me, be only too pleased to help.

Regards
Tikki

Simone083
9th June 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm interested in you designs any chance you could email me a few pics. :)

oges
10th June 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm interested in you designs any chance you could email me a few pics. :)
Looks like you found a old post (7 years in fact), not sure if Tikki is still active on here. I do have the book at home if I do remember correctly, still in a box somewhere after moving house recently.

wombatie
10th June 2011, 05:35 PM
Hi Tikki, I'm interested........Thanks

wombatie
10th June 2011, 05:38 PM
Wow I never notice the date on the thread. Guess I'm out of luck. Thanks Brett for mentioning the date pity I didn't read the 2nd page before I posted. LOL :doh::doh:

Marg

rogerjenkins
23rd June 2011, 09:28 PM
Everyone seeking Aussie Scroll Saw patterns, and / or Aussie Intarsia patterns,- Don't give up hope just yet.
Firstly Aussie Intarsia patterns,- the best I have come across to date are on the, www.fantasticwoodworking.com (http://www.fantasticwoodworking.com) site. Genuine OZ too,- the site owner, ( Steve Bundred ), lives near Byfield, Qld, which is in the Rockhampton region.

The out of print Book, " Fair Dinkum, " Scroll Saw patterns,- I do have a copy here,- which I scored at a Garage Sale for the princely sum of,- $5. There are 42 Aussie theme patterns in the book, including the original FX Holden, ( 48-215 ). Although I wish to keep the book for myself, I do have an office size Photocopier handy for anyone seeking a photocopy of any particular pattern.

** While I think of it, ( same subject ), over the years have accumulated a reasonable collection of Popular Mechanics Annuals, some of which date back to about 1946, and some of these annuals also have Scroll Saw Projects in them,- some are typical American themes, while others are more universal. If anyone is interested simply send me a PM and shall see what I can find for you. As for payment,- sufficient to cover Photocoping cost, and postage,- Fair ???

***Also looking into the practicality of doing some designwork in this field, ( Scroll Saw, & Intarsia patterns ), as am already have been a Wooden Toy Designer for about 25 yrs, and am always seeking new challenges for my inventive, & artistic skills, plus have a couple of local teenagers who are also quite inventive, & creatively-minded who share my workshop during the school holidays, and one of them is a, " born artist. " - Two," A's " and an, " A-plus," in end-of-year results for the first three years at High School, which, ( I think ), says it all.
Simply register your interest through this thread, and shall see what eventuates.
Shall help you IF I can,
meanwhile happy Scroll Sawing,:U
Roger

arminell
18th April 2016, 02:55 PM
Hi Tikki - I realise this is a old thread but I'm really keen to get some patterns of Australian trees and flora. Is that something you can help me with? Thanks so much!

crowie
18th April 2016, 06:06 PM
Hi Tikki - I realise this is a old thread but I'm really keen to get some patterns of Australian trees and flora. Is that something you can help me with? Thanks so much!

I too would be interested in finding if anyone has access to this book Tikki talks about in this thread.

Tikki hasn't been active on the forum for a while so maybe someone else who was originally discussing the book and Aussie Scrollsaw Patterns could respond to both "arminell" and myself,
THANK YOU one and all in advanced, much appreciated,
Cheers, crowie

Mulgabill
22nd April 2016, 05:39 PM
I too would be interested in finding if anyone has access to this book Tikki talks about in this thread.

Tikki hasn't been active on the forum for a while so maybe someone else who was originally discussing the book and Aussie Scrollsaw Patterns could respond to both "arminell" and myself,
THANK YOU one and all in advanced, much appreciated,
Cheers, crowie

The only Australian pattern book that I am aware of is a small book of collected Australiana patterns featuring approx 25 patterns of Flora and Fauna. It was sold by Helen Harris (Harris Traders, scroll saw blades etc) ph 08 8531 3440. I got one about 18 months ago for $15 plus P&H, but don't know what stock she had, I also don't know if it is what your looking for or if it suits your needs.
The only

crowie
22nd April 2016, 06:33 PM
The only Australian pattern book that I am aware of is a small book of collected Australiana patterns featuring approx 25 patterns of Flora and Fauna. It was sold by Helen Harris (Harris Traders, scroll saw blades etc) ph 08 8531 3440. I got one about 18 months ago for $15 plus P&H, but don't know what stock she had, I also don't know if it is what your looking for or if it suits your needs.
The only

Thank you sir, I'll chase that one up as I've bought blades from Helen....
That should also help "arminell" get started...
Just for the record the " Fair Dinkum, " Scroll Saw patterns looks like the attachment...Cheers, crowie

Mulgabill
22nd April 2016, 07:02 PM
Mmmm! Not seen it before. However I have been recently corresponding with Neil Schulz, on other matters, so when next in contact will ask about this publication, if I remember that is :hmmm:

crowie
22nd April 2016, 07:25 PM
Mmmm! Not seen it before. However I have been recently corresponding with Neil Schulz, on other matters, so when next in contact will ask about this publication, if I remember that is :hmmm:

THANK YOU SIR, That'd be excellent if you could follow that up and pass on the information....much appreciated, Cheers, crowie

Dalboy
26th April 2016, 03:37 AM
I have been looking around for a Intarsia plans for a chicken while doing so I remembered reading THIS (http://www.fantasticwoodworking.com/_product_55149/Intarsia_Down_Under_Woodworking_Book) thread and found this for a book hope it may help someone

crowie
3rd May 2016, 05:31 PM

Just wondering Mulgabill whether you'd heard from Neil Schulz please, thank you...Cheers, crowie

Mulgabill
8th May 2016, 04:58 PM
Just wondering Mulgabill whether you'd heard from Neil Schulz please, thank you...Cheers, crowie

Yes crowie! I have found out that the book is definitely out of publication and will not be re-visited by Neil.
However, there could be someone else out there who maybe putting together a similar book, so as soon as I get more definite details I will post it here on the WFF.

crowie
8th May 2016, 05:27 PM
Yes crowie! I have found out that the book is definitely out of publication and will not be re-visited by Neil.
However, there could be someone else out there who maybe putting together a similar book, so as soon as I get more definite details I will post it here on the WFF.

Thank you sir for following that up...I'll try a new thread in both Market Place and Scrollsawing to see if anyone has an old copy I could borrow or buy...Cheers, Peter