PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathes

wonka
12th May 2010, 03:32 PM
Just picked up the latest Australian Woodworker and there seems to be many companies advertising the woodfast lathes etc. The woodfast company in SA is staying that if it does not have the label on it, it is not from us. Sounds like a few companies are importing direct. This usually means price is negotiable. Not sure how the spare parts supply goes.

blackwoods
12th May 2010, 04:04 PM
I bought my variable speed mini off Carrolls at the Horsham Ewe Turn a couple of weeks ago. The Woodfast SA guys were there for the weekend and explained when they receive their lathes, they are unpacked, electronics checked, headstock and tailstock trued up and repacked to be sent out. I'm not sure if all the importers are doing that.
I am happy with mine regarding quality and price.

Barry.

munruben
12th May 2010, 05:54 PM
bought my variable speed mini off Carrolls at the Horsham Ewe Turn a couple of weeks ago. The Woodfast SA guys were there for the weekend and explained when they receive their lathes, they are unpacked, electronics checked, headstock and tailstock trued up and repacked to be sent out. I'm not sure if all the importers are doing that.
I am happy with mine regarding quality and price.

Barry.It's good to hear some suppliers do the right thing. I am sure you will enjoy your new toy.:):2tsup:

WOODY70
12th May 2010, 06:59 PM
Just picked up the latest Australian Woodworker and there seems to be many companies advertising the woodfast lathes etc. The woodfast company in SA is staying that if it does not have the label on it, it is not from us. Sounds like a few companies are importing direct. This usually means price is negotiable. Not sure how the spare parts supply goes.
Yes I am importing Woodfast direct from the factory and Yes this will provide better pricing and I have no problems with spare parts.
All Woodfast machinery is all of the same exceptional quality that the woodfast name is renowned for and now at better pricing and service.:2tsup:

Dave
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies

Solutions Aust
13th May 2010, 09:40 AM
Hi I am from woodfast and yes there are at the moment others importing wood fast machines .
we decide so as to stop confusion by placing a label on the Machine bought direct from us as some customers are led to beleive we cover there warranty when buying from other suppliers.
and yes we do pre-test our products and do adjustments and upgrade to them other dont

hughie
13th May 2010, 01:24 PM
Yep, they are now available at Hare & Forbes one model only tho'

Pat
13th May 2010, 02:26 PM
I brought direct from Woodfast SA and even with the shipping it was comparable to purchasing locally, if I could. The best thing is that I got good customer service to help me troubleshoot a problem created by the tranport of the lathe. I did get the "Yellow Peril" M910. Since the little problem of a magnetic switch moving about a millimeter in transit, I've had no problems turning from 25mm shot glasses to >500mm platters.

wheelinround
13th May 2010, 02:31 PM
I brought direct from Woodfast SA and even with the shipping it was comparable to purchasing locally, if I could. The best thing is that I got good customer service to help me troubleshoot a problem created by the tranport of the lathe. I did get the "Yellow Peril" M910. Since the little problem of a magnetic switch moving about a millimeter in transit, I've had no problems turning from 25mm shot glasses to >500mm platters.

H&F are dealers Pat so spares are available localy

Lyle
13th May 2010, 02:43 PM
Hmmmm, how'll I go?

My Woodfast is an X150 I bought in Townsville over 30 years ago now. Hasn't missed a beat in all that time and is as true now as it ever was.
No indexing head and no hollow drive shaft. But wouldn't trade it in for quids! :2tsup:

Spares? Never had to think about them, not even a drive belt.

nine fingers
13th May 2010, 08:46 PM
Hmmmm, how'll I go?

My Woodfast is an X150 I bought in Townsville over 30 years ago now. Hasn't missed a beat in all that time and is as true now as it ever was.
No indexing head and no hollow drive shaft. But wouldn't trade it in for quids! :2tsup:

Spares? Never had to think about them, not even a drive belt.
I purchased a 2nd hand x150 when I retired 14 years ago , as Lyle said never missed a beat, has turned everything from miniatures to 420mm platters, set up my own indexing for cutting gears for clocks, maybe I don't have electronic speed control, but so what, as my boss said when I started work in 1952 don't blame you tools , a tradesman can produce quality work with basic tools.
regards Nine Fingers

Sawdust Maker
13th May 2010, 10:17 PM

I don't believe you turned 1/2 m platters :p

Pat
14th May 2010, 12:08 AM
Nick, you are always welcome to come down and see The Yellow Peril and it's capabilities:U