PDA

View Full Version : Blue Galaxy Majestic cactus

PenTurner
12th May 2010, 09:04 PM
This time the tubes were painted blue, with a major blowout along the length of the blank , fortunately I was only 3/4 done and was able to use shavings to fill the gap, thence onward I stabilised with CA as I went until the end. I enjoy these Cactus blanks immensely. Amos:)

mkypenturner
12th May 2010, 09:18 PM
superb pen amos :2tsup::2tsup: and a great save considering the costs of the blanks and the majestic kits because if you didnt it would have been cactus:D

troy

Sawdust Maker
12th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Amos
very nice work
those blanks are very nice and go well with the kit :2tsup:

artme
12th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Beautiful Amos!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The cactus blanks are something else!

What caused the blowout? Do you have any idea?

MBUMIK
12th May 2010, 10:27 PM
another AWESOME pen

might have to get me some of them cactus blanks, they come up a treat

great job
MIK

munruben
12th May 2010, 11:04 PM
That is excellent Amos. Perfection mate. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

old dog
12th May 2010, 11:37 PM
The blue looks really good Amos! great save also:2tsup::D

wm460
13th May 2010, 08:28 AM
Stunning pen Amos, well done.

Rum Pig
13th May 2010, 09:03 AM
They sure are nice looking blanks and you keep turning them into fabulous pens well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

PenTurner
13th May 2010, 03:48 PM
Not sure what caused blow out, but it happened almost full length of the blank a bit like a jaggered V all along, my tool was sharp, maybe I just dug in too much and one little bit came off and as I continued it caught each time making it progress along the blank, So now I am quite sensitive too make sure it is very sharp and not to rush too much. PS Thanks for the comments, PPS Yes I want more of those cactus blanks, they are fairly pricy, but considering the work that goes into them, well worth it. Amos:):2tsup:

wheelinround
13th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Amos that is a stunning pen good save :2tsup:

I am astounded that your using cactus I'll have to find out more about it as a turning piece. LOML will have to watch out for her small collection of Cacti:U

I honestly thought it would be to soft and full of moisture.

PenTurner
13th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Ray, they dry it out completely, then cast it in Resin or Alumnite, Amos:)

wheelinround
13th May 2010, 07:39 PM
Ray, they dry it out completely, then cast it in Resin or Alumnite, Amos:)

Thanks Amos :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
13th May 2010, 09:53 PM
And thus it came to be ...
no cactus garden was, from this day forth, safe from the midnight depredations of the penmaking skulker

wheelinround
14th May 2010, 09:17 AM
And thus it came to be ...
no cactus garden was, from this day forth, safe from the midnight depredations of the penmaking skulker

The New road side pick up cactus scroungers or those wild prickly pear seen along road sides starting to vanish helping the agriculture of Australia in destroying them.

Penpal
14th May 2010, 09:32 AM
I am still under the spell of the incredible blanks made by that man on the IAP forum he detailed the processes and time he takes with that particular type of Cactus down to the skeleton of them to finally cast them as he does, your pen does justice to his combinations using timber and Cactus Skeletons, it is a standout.
I see you are having fun and keeping the standard high as usual.
Kind regards Peter.:2tsup:

PenTurner
14th May 2010, 08:33 PM
Yes Peter, I really enjoy making pens-especially when it turns out well- I just marvel at the skills involved in making blanks-here in Oz we have Neil that does a great job, Amos:)