PDA

View Full Version : CMT knives for turning

hughie
13th May 2010, 01:11 PM
I have often thought that these knives could be used for turning. They are readily cut with a 1mm friction blade and they are made from HSS. They all come with holes in them to and some of the shapes look to be ideal other than the actual size being a bit large.

Cutter heads - CMT Tools (http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=HK~~2)

They are available in Carba-tec stores nation wide and come in pairs which make the price not unreasonable.

China
13th May 2010, 09:59 PM
I have to agree, cnc lathes use essentilly the same thing so with a properly made holder, it should be possible to use them at home, think I might give it a try

Sebastiaan56
14th May 2010, 06:31 AM
Damn it, there is one shape Im looking for and they dont have it :D Seriously, I agree there is potential there for sure.

Ed Reiss
14th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't hurt to try Hughie.

artme
14th May 2010, 03:41 PM
Good idea Hughie. Let the big spenders have a go and tell us about it!:rolleyes:

I've given a thought to using a tungsten tipped saw blad - well part of one - as a thin parting tool. They can be cut with a thin citting wheel..

Sawdust Maker
14th May 2010, 11:08 PM
:C
Good idea Hughie. Let the big spenders have a go and tell us about it!:rolleyes:

I've given a thought to using a tungsten tipped saw blad - well part of one - as a thin parting tool. They can be cut with a thin citting wheel..

emm

how many would you get out of, say, a 9" blade

artme
14th May 2010, 11:21 PM
Haven't tried yet!

hughie
15th May 2010, 09:48 AM
I've given a thought to using a tungsten tipped saw blade - well part of one - as a thin parting tool. They can be cut with a thin cutting wheel.

Artme

you had better alter the profile of the single tooth as its very vicious for parting off, might be a bit of a heart stopper when it grabs,

Theres actually allot of HSS out there suitable for turning tools, such as long planner blades etc. Although dear to buy, when sliced up into small pieces the cost is very affordable.

My favourite one is old cold saw blades. As I have access to a plasma arc I just slice em up to what ever shape and form I want. I have an old blade I am about to slice up for small hollowing tool tips. Just gotta make a jig to cut the 6mm screw holes.

artme
15th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the warning Hughie.:2tsup:

I had actually thought about that and was sussing out a way to put a more suitable grind on it. At the moment it's just another rowndtuit job.

wheelinround
15th May 2010, 02:55 PM
I can't see why not mass production do use such cutters on big stuff, cut them to suit and :2tsup: