PDA

View Full Version : very interesting week....

the fabricator
14th May 2010, 09:48 PM
all starts off with a trip to bunnings, the story is in another thread but i gotta a transmig 135 for 300 bucks

couple days later dad comes home and asks me if i want a BOC masterstart oxy kit worth $900, sold to me for $200. i took it

and a few weeks ago i worked for one of dads kitchen clients chipping off tiles and floor lino, about 22 hours worth. he asked me if i wanted to be payed in money or tools, i said tools almost instantly. he gave me;
drill press and machine vice
BOSCH die grinder
big set of sutton drills
spare chuck for drill
Mitutoyo Gage Blocks ( joe blocks )
Mitutoyo Dial test indicator
NOGA magnetic base
Mitutoyo 0-200mm dial caliper
Mitutoyo 25 - 50mm micromter ( 0 - 25 coming soon)
Mitutoyo Vernier protractor
Some sheet metal shears

looks like a good week to me

Grahame Collins
15th May 2010, 12:20 AM
Colour me insanely jealous.

That little lot is probably a a $1000 to $1200 worth,

and its the good stuff to boot.

Well done!

Grahame

Gerbilsquasher
15th May 2010, 09:16 AM
My first MIG was a Transmig 135 purchased some 15 years ago, but I paid twice as much.There wasn't as much competition or demand for small welders back then.

Not a bad little welder, though does have a few drawbacks you might have to keep an eye on:

1) Limited duty cycle, especially on heavier stuff
2) The gun is a bit cheap, and permanently fixed to the welder. The trigger is somewhat flimsy and breaks easily
3) There is no separate gas solenoid- the gas valve is opened when you press the trigger on the gun, and eventually sticks

Eventually I replaced the gun with a new Binzel unit and installed a gas solenoid which gave the welder new life and it is still going today. If you are going to do this you might want to install a 240-24 volt transformer to supply the current for the gas solenoid.

Apart from the issues with the gun it is a robust and reliable piece of gear and should give many years of service, until you get more power hungry and get something bigger :D

Congrats on a great score

the fabricator
15th May 2010, 06:49 PM
sorry guys forgot to mention a makita abrasive drop saw for free, absolutley nothing

aparantly the gauge blocks were $5000 new