PDA

View Full Version : mc 900 broken belt

tbear 79
15th May 2010, 12:06 PM
hi all i have a mc 900 with a broken belt wanting to know what size are they. and where would i get one from. is it easier and cheaper to buy from super cheap or any shops like that or would i have to buy from carbatec.. its the weekend and i cant play with my lathe please help......

rsser
15th May 2010, 01:22 PM
Take the broken one to an industrial supplies place.

There are two x-section types and obviously various lengths.

But since you're stuck, you could always try the fix for broken car fan belts. Ask the missus to take off her panty hose and knock up a belt from a leg ;-}

No missus? Get friendly with a neighbour. Or sneak over the fence in the dark of night and become a snowdropper.

You didn't hear this from me.

govarney
15th May 2010, 01:25 PM
I went to my local Bearing Shop and took my old broken belt. They matched it up and it cost me (from memory, which isn't very good these days) about $5.

Catch ya later

G.O.Varney

hughie
15th May 2010, 02:27 PM
hi all i have a mc 900 with a broken belt wanting to know what size are they. and where would i get one from. is it easier and cheaper to buy from super cheap or any shops like that or would i have to buy from carbatec.. its the weekend and i cant play with my lathe please help......

It'll be A section, from memory either A25 [imperial] or A670 [metric]

tbear 79
15th May 2010, 05:41 PM
thanks guys will do that tomorrow:U

Woodwould
15th May 2010, 06:34 PM
If you get an exact/satisfactory match, would you mind posting the size/part number. I'd like to buy a spare before the current one expires. Thanks.

rsser
15th May 2010, 06:45 PM
So WW is that the leg length, diam or both?

Woodwould
15th May 2010, 06:54 PM
So WW is that the leg length, diam or both?

Just what ever I need to know to buy a replacement. I've bought belts in the past which have used different nomenclature depending on country of source and spent too many hours trying to match belts. I would simply be grateful for current data for a locally available replacement belt.

tbear 79
15th May 2010, 06:57 PM
yeah no worries woodwould length will be no worries dont know about width original belt was chewed out on the sides a fair bit

texx
15th May 2010, 07:28 PM
i keep a spare belts for all my belt driven stuff , cos as my dad used to say " it always seems to happen when its least expected most ":;
even now after he has been gone almost 10 years i am still not sure if that makes sense .:C

malb
15th May 2010, 08:18 PM
Haven't had much to do do with the MC900 family but I understand two things about them:
The variable speed pulley system can collapse if it is interfered with or worn, and
The spindle is supported by bearings at each end of the headstock assembly with the pulley system and belt between them.

If this is correct (people with more practical knowledge welcome to advise that I am wrong), then the spindle will need to be partly withdrawn to get the belt between the bearings and over the spindle/pulley assembly, with the possible consequence of the pulley system collapsing.

If this is likely, it might pay to investigate one of the link belt systems like this (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020051/Power-Twist-Link-Belt.aspx). There used to be some available locally years ago. If you can get the the correct profile, length is not an issue and you can open the belt loop to add/remove links to adjust length and pass the belt over the spindle/pulley without disturbing the headstock setup.

The one in the link is highly regarded for belt drive machines in the states, in regard to noise and vibration and belt life.

joe greiner
15th May 2010, 10:31 PM
My HF 34706 (same lathe, more or less) takes 3L240 (3/8" x 24"). Different manufacturers have different codes, but that should correspond to your A24, I think. An "incorrect" length for a Reeves drive will render speeds away from specifications, but not by much. Set your speeds according to your comfort level, not hard numbers.

Cheers,
Joe

TTIT
15th May 2010, 11:05 PM
Back when I had my old MC900 I put an A22 ('A' section type) on it and it's still going on it now with the young bloke that bought it off me - check this old thread out ...

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mc900-belts-tip-25179/

tbear 79
17th May 2010, 03:37 PM
well i just bought a new belt today from the local shop it is an a23 alot wider than the original but alot stonger aswell.and the lathe has never ran smoother thanks guys for all your help.......oh and it cost $6.60 not bad at all

Woodwould
17th May 2010, 03:40 PM
:thyel:

cultana
17th May 2010, 04:12 PM
The SPZ series being more appropriate than the A series for these drives. It has a narrower width but greater height.
SPZ 670.