PDA

View Full Version : Pen No 1

skot
16th May 2010, 05:20 PM
OK, Simple pen for my first attempt and I can see why this can become addictive. Gave it to my wife and she was rapt.

I used a cheap acrylic blank ($2.50 from Carbatec) and put it together with the shop made press see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/shop-made-pen-press-117709/). The press worked a treat.

I told her that pen cost over $100 if you count the purchase of the start up gear, but the price per unit will come down with time. Good enough excuse to make more pens.

Reece
16th May 2010, 05:23 PM
good stuff skot.

Any photos?

EDIT: just saw the photo, never mind...

mkypenturner
16th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Gave it to my wife and she was rapt.

I told her that pen cost over $100 if you count the purchase of the start up gear, but the price per unit will come down with time. Good enough excuse to make more pens.
nice pen skot :2tsup:
just a hint for doing a white acrylic like that one again is to paint the tubes the same colour as the blank thats only needed for light coloured blanks :2tsup:

great move giving the first to your other half :2tsup: cause next time you spend up on pen parts just tell you will make her another one

troy

artme
16th May 2010, 08:11 PM
Great stuphph Scott!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

No going back now.

wm460
16th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Great pen, well done.

skot
16th May 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed making it.

Good advice mkypenturner..as I was getting closer to the desired diameter, I could start to see the tube through the clearer sections of the resin

Sawdust Maker
16th May 2010, 09:16 PM
Great first pen, Skot
You are now on the slippery slide.

Reece
16th May 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed making it.

Good advice mkypenturner..as I was getting closer to the desired diameter, I could start to see the tube through the clearer sections of the resin

I turn a lot of poly resins from Wood'n'Workshop, and you don't need to worry about painting the tubes for them. I find them easier to drill, turn and polish than acrylics, and they smell far better than acrylics too. If you keep on making pens, i would recommend trying some of them.

PenTurner
16th May 2010, 10:36 PM
Skot, lovely first pen, I can see why I'm addicted too! Amos:):2tsup:

munruben
16th May 2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice pen. Great first attempt. Painting the tube would have made all the difference but nevertheless a great result. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wood hacker
16th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Nice work Skot :2tsup:

Rum Pig
17th May 2010, 09:11 AM
Great pen for your first well done:2tsup::2tsup:

They say the first step to betting an addiction is admitting you have a problem.

I have no problem....
I have no problem....
I have no problem....
I have no problem....
I have no problem:U

bdar
17th May 2010, 10:29 AM
Skot, great first pen mate. As mkypenturner said paint inside of the blanks with a similar colour and you will hide the brass tube from showing through. I use spray cans from the cheapie shops. Also by spray black you can alter the effect of the acrylic in how it looks if you use white. Keep up the good work and welcome to the addiction.