PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Classes...

Jatz
22nd September 2004, 01:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm 26 wanting to get back into turning from my school days. Basically I want to take it on as my off-season hobby.

Problem is that it seems hard to find any classes in the Sydney area to get me underway again...

Do any of you know where a great place is to get started?? Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

rsser
22nd September 2004, 02:12 PM
Jatz,
have you done a search of the forum on terms like TAFE (caveat emptor it seems!), guild, instruction, courses etc?

Jatz
22nd September 2004, 02:29 PM
Thans rsser,

TAFE looks like it's put me on the right track... The Sydney Guild site looks quite out of date! They have coming events listed from 2000 - 2004!

Well, here I go... Off on my quest for turning greatness! :D

Alastair
23rd September 2004, 01:29 PM
Jatz

Unfortunately, the Lidcombe TAFE has discontinued new enrolments from this year. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and express interest, as if there is enough pressure, you might be able to revive it.

Regarding the Guild, don't be put off by the website. The regions are where the real action happens. Consult the web page, and find the contact numbers for the co-ordinators for areas convenient to you, and attend 1 of their meetings before deciding.

Alastair

Jatz
23rd September 2004, 04:18 PM
Excellent. :D Thanks a lot Al... I'll see what I can do to kick it back to life.

Jatz.

smidsy
23rd September 2004, 08:09 PM
Hei Jatz,
I think there is good arguments for both tafe and turning clubs, the URL below is a thread that was on here just a few days ago and would be worth a read.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11565

Cheers
Paul

thealfheim
24th September 2004, 09:36 PM
G'day Jatz,

I dont know which part of Sydney you're from, but I noticed in the Macquarie Community college, they have a woodturning class on offer. If I remember rightly, I think it was being held at Epping Boys High (but dont quote me on that).

From what I read in the guide, it was being aimed at beginners.

Cheers,
TheAlfheim

Jatz
27th September 2004, 10:56 AM
thealfheim,

You're a legend! That's the one I'll enrol for I think... Looks perfect. Thanks a lot. :D Dates are perfect too!