PDA

View Full Version : forced break

weisyboy
17th May 2010, 09:01 PM
realized today that i haven't touched the lathe in over 12 months.:~

and it dosent look like im gunna get near it any time soon.:no:

i havent had any quality time in the workshop for a long time between work and family all my time seams to disapear.:C

i think my faceplate might be at the engineering shop with a prototype stake pointer on it. come to think of it they have one of my 3hp motors.:doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2010, 11:45 PM
PSSSST! Me neither. It's a bummer, eh wot? :doh:

Sawdust Maker
18th May 2010, 11:36 AM
Geez
you poor buggers
and I complain when I don't get out there for a little play every 2nd or 3rd weekend

Ed Reiss
18th May 2010, 12:21 PM
...to make you guys feel better, I'll plan on not turning for at least 12 months :no::roll::D

Pat
18th May 2010, 01:44 PM
And I am in the middle of 2 weeks holiday to play in the shed, doing what ever takes my fancy. Bowl turning or spindle:U

wheelinround
18th May 2010, 02:06 PM
And I am in the middle of 2 weeks holiday to play in the shed, doing what ever takes my fancy. Bowl turning or spindle:U

Yep and he's in side on the computer or he's now shed wired with large screen and WiFi headset and can look at turing and talk/type in his replies :doh:

Opps there's another dig in :q

Pat
18th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Yep and he's in side on the computer or he's now shed wired with large screen and WiFi headset and can look at turing and talk/type in his replies :doh:

Opps there's another dig in :q

Or relaxing:q

Texian
18th May 2010, 03:52 PM
I too have absolutely quit, given up turning. Until tomorrow morning.

dai sensei
18th May 2010, 10:14 PM
realized today that i haven't touched the lathe in over 12 months.:~...

Yeh, but you do get to play with a bigger toy nearly every day :U

Reece
19th May 2010, 09:26 AM
that's gotta hurt, i spend time on the lathe at least 3 times a week. i think it's so i can stay out of wifey's way while she's sewing though.

Broda
20th May 2010, 07:41 PM
12 months?!
I hate going a week!

I try to do something most days

orificiam
21st May 2010, 11:13 PM
Since Retiring 2 weeks Ago i get to visit the shed everyday,
mostly to smell the wood. But I Get to Play with the Lathe if I feel the Urge.
Cheers Tony :)

Sawdust Maker
22nd May 2010, 08:58 PM
Since Retiring 2 weeks Ago i get to visit the shed everyday,
mostly to smell the wood. But I Get to Play with the Lathe if I feel the Urge.
Cheers Tony :)

Aarrgggghhhhhhh :C

5 and a bit months to go but yep I'm jealous :((

orificiam
22nd May 2010, 09:04 PM
Aarrgggghhhhhhh :C

5 and a bit months to go but yep I'm jealous :((

Before you know thy're gone Mate.
Cheers Tony.:)

hughie
22nd May 2010, 10:56 PM
Oh well don't feel too bad I haven't had a workshop for over two years and most of my gear is in storage. :C Managed to finish two bowls in the last few months and the third one flew out of the chuck and now I use it to put my coffee pot, only the base survived. :U

wheelinround
23rd May 2010, 08:20 AM
Oh well don't feel too bad I haven't had a workshop for over two years and most of my gear is in storage. :C Managed to finish two bowls in the last few months and the third one flew out of the chuck and now I use it to put my coffee pot, only the base survived. :U

So that was the terrible screaming sound I heard down the valley :;

rsser
23rd May 2010, 05:13 PM
Ed, 12 months???

How come?

rsser
23rd May 2010, 05:15 PM
PSSSST! Me neither. It's a bummer, eh wot? :doh:

Who's this Skew character? :p

(Gotta WiFi laptop in the shed now Andy? :wink: ..)

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2010, 07:52 PM
Who's this Skew character? :p

(Gotta WiFi laptop in the shed now Andy? :wink: ..)

Was wondering the same meself - there is a dim dark recollection in the nether regions of my mind, ... who was that man :cool:

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2010, 07:57 PM
'tis a bit sad really
went out to the shed today, looked at the lathe, looked at the P & N chisels, mixed up some epoxy and ..

glued up the new, work in progress, letterbox :doh:

Neal
23rd May 2010, 09:21 PM
Dont feel bad I am up to 2 year n 4 months. Put a motorcycle back in my life & there arent enough w/ends for both but starting to think some shed time is due.

hughie
24th May 2010, 09:27 AM
So that was the terrible screaming sound I heard down the valley :;

certainly allot of muttering and the darn segmented job I used your sander on, went the same way. :~ ........... must be rusty.

As for Skew, urban legend, he never existed. :U

Ed Reiss
24th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Ed, 12 months???

How come?

Just kidding, Ern...and hopefully it won't be a long time for you 'cause of the accident.

rsser
24th May 2010, 01:46 PM
Neal, yep, nothing like the adrenaline of riding to distract you from wood hacking.

Ed, good to hear. You had me worried. My paw's OK for a bit of turning but I have to confess being a little obsessed by the tuning of plane blades and bench chisels by means of Japanese waterstones at the moment.

Weisy and others, yes, life can take over; or you can get stale with the turning you've being doing. No drama. That's the way life is. For me, I then look at learning something new to do on the lathe or with DIY lathe tools.

Neal
24th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah its been good for relaxing & clearing work crud from the mind rsser just got to stay uprite & out of the wood so to speak.

Weisyboy the way I look at the cobwed covered stuff in the shed is I own it, it may need cleaning & maybe sharpening but as far as I can see in the future a chissel,plane, lathe etc aint going to change to much so if & when I win power ball I will have enough time to do whatever I want in the shed or otherwise that is another plus to this hobby.

Cheers Neal