PDA

View Full Version : Michael Storer - Help - Quick Canoe build

Clinton1
17th May 2010, 09:45 PM
Hey Michael,

Help. !!!

I've invited people to the "Inaugural Ubeaut Wooden Boat Sydney Squadron" meeting at my place for 29 May.

I said that we might build your Quick Canoe that arvo.

So, I'll get the plan off you... but seriously man, help me set the record for a 4 1/2 hour canoe in the quickest time ever... preferable within the madness of people coming to my house and getting their hands involved, dogs and kids running about, bbq cooking and sailing on Bay across the road.

What do you reckon... want to prime us up and let us go for the "World Build Speed Record"? :D

Boatmik
18th May 2010, 07:28 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4472201736_dc21cbd22b.jpg

Clinton1 emailed me as well ...

I'm going to host a Ubeaut Forum "Sydney Ubeaut Wooden Boat Squadron" get-together for 29 May.
Just sailing on Kogarah bay (I live over the road from a boat ramp), bbq, beer, outrageous believable lies, and people having a good time.

I'll need to host two get togethers to accomodate everyones 'availabilities'.

May as well build your Quick Canoe 155 as well.

I started a thread in the Boat building section of the forum - asking for your help.
I'll buy the plan off you, but I'll make two canoes - so please tell me about the additional fee I should add to the purchase.

The second canoe will be for the second get together

I see your website has a 'blog' about a Canadian building the QC155 in a fast time.

I am hoping that you can give me some advice about building it really fast... and we will try to set a fast build record for you.

Boat building and epoxy - I know Boat buildilng and epoxy... after all, I bought and read your GIS plan in a book. Thats my experience.
The Quick Canoe will be a bit of a praccy and learning experience for 2 of us that are going to do the GIS over winter.

So, a few things:
1. What's the cost of the plan with an agreed fee for building 2 canoes? (actually, what should I pay you for each additional canoe, cause we might do more than 2?)
2. Want me to get the plan through you or Duck Flats?
3. Want to have a chat over the phone and email/forum to assist me/us in building it as fast as possible?

My reply

I think for the purposes of this that I will invoke the same rule that I use for the PDR. That for the Quick Canoe that two boats can be built off one plan if they are for family members living under the same roof. I would be happy for that rule to be applied to any new people too. So one boat is the plan price and the second for a member of the same family living under the same roof would be free.

The second canoe will be for the second get together.

I see your website has a 'blog' about a Canadian building the QC155 in a fast time.

I am hoping that you can give me some advice about building it really fast... and we will try to set a fast build record for you.
Setting out to race through a boatbuilding project is a bad frame of mind. Rick can do it because he is a chippy with all the right tools and years of experience getting boats together and he knows which corners to cut.

Boat building and epoxy - I know Boat buildilng and epoxy... after all, I bought and read your GIS plan in a book. Thats my experience.
The Quick Canoe will be a bit of a praccy and learning experience for 2 of us that are going to do the GIS over winter.
It will be perfect for that. If you haven't had any boatbuilding experience then to build quick you have to be clear on what has to be done the night before in terms of the order that things are done in the next day. Then the next day you work at a sensible pace and get as much done that you can in the allotted time. Rushing is the biggest disaster!

So, a few things:
1. What's the cost of the plan with an agreed fee for building 2 canoes? (actually, what should I pay you for each additional canoe, cause we might do more than 2?)
As above

2. Want me to get the plan through you or Duck Flats?
Through the Ducks.

3. Want to have a chat over the phone and email/forum to assist me/us in building it as fast as possible?
Forum is best - it will be a bit of an incentive for me to get there (I really like the forum but just haven't had the energy lately - too many problems both inside and outside the boat design - starting to look better now - so this would be good) and make the info public for others to use.

Clinton1
19th May 2010, 01:04 AM
Michael and I had a chat over email about things...
So, I'll get the plans from Duck Flats tomorrow... and we will se what we come up with.
Should be fun. :)

NCArcher
19th May 2010, 08:27 AM
Good on ya Clinton, sounds like it will be a fun day. :2tsup: