PDA

View Full Version : Handtools only - How to make this box?

RobTro
18th May 2010, 01:46 AM
I am thinking about making a Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesen like light stand (desk lamp) which has a number of boxes hanging off a centre post.

the Box has a general shape like this:

I have seen where people have put splines/biscuits across the mitre joint to reinforce the joint and for construction. But I don't have nor will I have a biscuit jointer. I have hand tools and I was wondering how I could make the box (3 sided) with hand tools.

Any suggestions?

Well... I do have a sliding mitre saw but to use it, the slines would need to be a through spline.

Or will a mitre with just glue be adequate?

Rob

derekcohen
18th May 2010, 02:57 AM
Why not dovetail the ends?

Regards from Perth

Derek

RobTro
18th May 2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Derek,

I did think of dovetailing the ends; which would give a stronger joint.
However, I was wondering if there were a way to get a cleaner look; have the grain go around the box. But if I can't do this, then it looks like some dovetailing will be in order.

Rob

derekcohen
18th May 2010, 10:47 PM
Try a "secret dovetail" then :)

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/popular-mechanics/Amateur-Work-5/images/Dovetail-Joints-244.png

Regards from Perth

Derek

Claw Hama
18th May 2010, 10:54 PM
I have done some big mitres with plane old dowels, you can make a basic doweling jig/block to get the angle from a piece of scrap. drill your holes mark your opposite hole ( I have some of the little Haron plug markers cheap and effective) could also put a spline across the ends, if you don't want to look busy use the same coloured timber so they disapear.

Arron
19th May 2010, 04:36 PM
I dont think just mitre plus glue is nearly strong enough.

What about veneer feathers. Adjust the number and/or thickness of veneer feathers for the strength required.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f87/making-veneered-boxes-how-69655/

scroll down to find the bit on veneer feathers.

Arron

ian
20th May 2010, 01:09 AM
I am thinking about making a Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesen like light stand (desk lamp) which has a number of boxes hanging off a centre post.

the Box has a general shape like this:

I have seen where people have put splines/biscuits across the mitre joint to reinforce the joint and for construction. But I don't have nor will I have a biscuit jointer. I have hand tools and I was wondering how I could make the box (3 sided) with hand tools.

Any suggestions?

Or will a mitre with just glue be adequate?

RobRob

options that immediately come to mind are:

mitre secret dovetails as suggested by Derek
mitres reinforced with splines -- you can cut the grooves for the splines with a saw and chisel
mitres reinforced with dovetail keys -- the dovetail slots are usually cut with a router, but a tenon saw and chisel would be just as neat. The dovetail keys can be in a contrasting timber
mitres reinforced with veneer keys -- if you use a fine saw and matching timber the keys will be nearly invisible, of course a contrasting timber will make a statement

RobTro
21st May 2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks people,

I will give all of your ideas some thought...Do some sketchup drawings and have a go and see what some things come out like.

Rob